Gumpaste Arms Falling Off!

Decorating By underthesun Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 11:05am by underthesun

underthesun Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:33am
post #1 of 5

The arms of my 3D people keep falling off. I've tried water, gumpaste and water mixed into a glue, additional tads of gumpaste used as glue. All other parts of the bodies stay attached, without any problems. Just seems like gravity takes over when it comes to the arms.

Anyone want to share their tricks of the trade?? Thanks for any tips you can share. They are appreciated!!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:27am
post #2 of 5

Try propping the arms up on something while they dry.

FromScratch Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:34am
post #3 of 5

How much glue are you putting on? You only need a small bit to make it tacky. If you put more it's too slick and they do the slide. Could be they are on the heavy side too, do like the PP said and prop them up if you can... if not then take them off and dab the glue off and try again.

Evoir Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:36am
post #4 of 5

Hi there!

I have a couple methods I use, depending on how big the figures are.

For small 3D people, I push a divot or hole into the 'socket' of the shoulder, using an appropriately sized tool. Then with the arm (or the hand or whatever) I make a pointy extension at the upper end that then fits snugly into the hole. You can use glue for further strength BUT make sure the arm is supported (with cardboard/a small glass/ anything really that can be used as a bolster) until the figurine and glue is completely dry!

For larger models (like the Peppa Pig cake I made - in my photos) I use a thin skewer or toothpick to add support in the very centre of the limb. You need to advise your customer/cake eater in advance about anything added to your structure!

I hope this helps, good luck with it!! icon_smile.gif

underthesun Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:05am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, it could be I'm using too much glue. I might try the extensions and divot idea. Part of my issue is that I'm really not sure they ever completely dry. I'm in a humid area, and even small apples, I made 2 weeks ago, can be squished if I press very very hard. I thought 50/50 gumpaste and fondant would dry completely hard as a rock. Mine don't. I am suppose to receive an order of tylose today. My first time to use. I'm hoping this will help with the drying. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%