Problem With Sugarpaste - Advice Appreciated!

Decorating By CakeGalUK Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 8:44am by brincess_b

CakeGalUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGalUK Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:10am
post #1 of 9

Hello, I'm hoping you guys can offer me some advice on this one.

I make my own sugarpaste from scratch and when I ask sugarcraft shops around here they just tell me to use the readyroll stuff but I can't stand the taste of it, it's horrible!

The problem I am having is that I find that I make the sugarpaste and cover the cake straight away, however the consistency isn't right as where the icing folds over the edges I get surface cracks. When I am kneeding the icing I can tell that it isn't as 'elastic' feeling as the shop bought stuff so I am trying to work out what I am doing wrong or what I need to adjust in the recipe. I wonder if the problem is that I am using the leaf gelatine and the quantity isn't right as I found the powder/granuals to be an 'off' colour and a funny taste.

The recipe I am using is:

- 4 fluid oz glucose syrup
- 2 sheets of gelatine
- 1 tablespoon glycerine
- 1kg icing sugar

I soften the gelatine in 2 tablespoons of water then place the bowl in hot water and stir until dissolved. Then I add the syrup and glycerine and stir until combined and clear.

Sieve the icing sugar and reserve some for rolling out etc. Make a well and add the liquid. Combine it all and then kneed.

If this is already covered somewhere please feel free to point me to it, I have been browing your (fab) site for quite a while now but haven't come across specifically what I need...

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

8 replies
CakeGalUK Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:34am
post #2 of 9

Hmm I just realised that this should probably be in the next forum section down, sorry... mods feel free to move if appropriate!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:29am
post #3 of 9

Your recipe & methods are quite different from what we use here in the states so I don't know how much help I can give.
My suggestion is to make sure you grease your hands w/shortening (Trex in the UK?) and lightly grease the surface you are rolling it on.
I don't think you are too far off with your recipe icon_smile.gif

CakeGalUK Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 9

Oh really? Maybe that is why I was struggling to find the answer on here already.

What is the equivilent that you use over there?

you are right about the Trex thing, I use that for working with it or softening it slightly, I suppose I could try adding it to the paste before rolling out... good thinking! Thank you icon_smile.gif

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 9

i am looking at my periplus fabulous cakes book (from australia), and there is a similar recipe in here (not exactly the same):

1kg icing sugar
5 tsp gelatine
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup glucose
1 tbsp gelatine

dissolve gelatine in water, add glucose, place over slow heat until all gelatine has dissolved. remove from heat, stir in glycerine.
cool for a minute.
make a well in the center of sifted icing sugar, pour in the gelatine mixture. use wooden spoon to thoroughly combine.
knead by hand until mixture is a firm dough-like paste.
cover surface with some icing sugar, and knead until smooth.
best used within 2 days of making.

BTW, i have only used michele foster's fondant.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 9

http://www.thesugarfixtoo.com/fondant.html
theres some good info in there, and although its a different recipe, its propaby pretty general too.
i have a preferance for tescos over regalice by the way!
xx

CakeGalUK Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:58am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

i am looking at my periplus fabulous cakes book (from australia), and there is a similar recipe in here (not exactly the same):

1kg icing sugar
5 tsp gelatine
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup glucose
1 tbsp gelatine

dissolve gelatine in water, add glucose, place over slow heat until all gelatine has dissolved. remove from heat, stir in glycerine.
cool for a minute.
make a well in the center of sifted icing sugar, pour in the gelatine mixture. use wooden spoon to thoroughly combine.
knead by hand until mixture is a firm dough-like paste.
cover surface with some icing sugar, and knead until smooth.
best used within 2 days of making.

BTW, i have only used michele foster's fondant.

Hi and thank you for taking the trouble to look in your book icon_smile.gif

That does look similar. I do wonder if the problem is that I'm using the leaf gelatine rather than the powdered so maybe I haven't worked that quantity out right.

I suppose it would help if I fully understood what each ingredient did... anyone know? I *think* it's as follows? :

- Glycerine - stops it setting too hard
- Gelatine - makes it set
- Glucose syrup - combines and gives elasticity

Any ideas?

CakeGalUK Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:05am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

http://www.thesugarfixtoo.com/fondant.html
theres some good info in there, and although its a different recipe, its propaby pretty general too.
i have a preferance for tescos over regalice by the way!
xx

Oh wow that link is fab, thank you! It seems to cover all of the issues I've come across eventhough the recipe is different. icon_smile.gif

I'm sure few years ago I found ready made icing in tesco that tasted just fine, it was in a blue shiny packet, however the stuff I tried the other day was the only one they had so I assumed they had just changed the packaging, it was in a green/brown packet and tastes horrible like the regalice icon_sad.gif

What does the packet you use look like?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:44am
post #9 of 9

you might have a point, they used to have the blue packaging for their own brand, i know they changed to the weird colour, but i havent used any of it yet. i hope it hasnt changed, cause i liked it, and it was cheaper!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%