I Am So Bummed!!! (Vent, Long)

Decorating By CakeMommy3 Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm by jlynnw

CakeMommy3 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:29am
post #1 of 18

Okay, so, I get a call on Tuesday afternoon from some lady that I don't even know. I guess she went to a party that my mom helped throw for 160 people, and I did the cake (the 5 tier red one in my pics). There was more than enough to go around, and she apparently loved it, so my mom gave her the top tier.

Well, as it turns out, she loves it so much that she keeps it in her freezer and sets it out to display when they have company! icon_confused.gif

So her daughter is having a bridal shower on Saturday, and she knows it's short notice, but she wants to know if I could do the cake. It's for 40-50 people, and she wants a three tier, each a different color fondant (the brides colors are pink, orange and yellow !?!) with the same scroll design as the red cake that she has...in her freezer...

I was totally on the spot and couldn't remember how much I charge icon_redface.gif and the kids were screaming around me so I told her I would "finalize the design" -sounds professional right?- and call her back.

So I call her back, get her voicemail, and let her know that for the custom designed, three tier fondant cake to serve 50 people WITH delivery 20 minutes away will be $150.

She calls back like 4 hours later, sounding kinda bashful, saying thank you, but that just won't work this time. Maybe another time. I know it was totally the money. What did she think it would be, $30??

I should have known when she told me during the first conversation "I was just going to get a cake from Costco and see if they could put a picture of my daughter on it, but then I ran into your mom and remembered how much I love your cake." Pretty sure Costco doesn't do that, but their cakes are like 12 bucks.

So I"m bummed, because I really wanted to do the cake, but I'm not going to give it away. My husband was all, "well, if you really wanted to do it, you should have done it for cheaper." Ah, men.

I knew you would all understand. If your eyes aren't bleeding, and you are still reading this, thank you. I hope her Costco cake is super yummy. icon_sad.gif

17 replies
all4cake Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:46am
post #2 of 18

I'm sorry you're bummed. I hope you get another request soon for one that really inspires you ...whether it be a monetary or an event theme or both.

melhoneybee Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:47am
post #3 of 18

awww that is just cruddy!

I always HATE when people think we just add water to a magic cake fairy pill and... POOF , out comes a gorgeous AND delicious artful feast of a friggin' cake! WTH?! icon_confused.gif

Your price was way CHEAP too! Oh well, her loss! I say you make the cake anyway, but for YOU for FUN because you wanted to! icon_biggrin.gif

learnincakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:47am
post #4 of 18

People need to be educated about the price of custom cakes. She probably had no idea. But, she loved your cake so much she is keeping it frozen. I'll bet in the future she will call you again for a cake, now she knows how much they are and will be prepared for it. I had a similar experience, it is a disapointment for sure. But, I personally am not going to do this for free and with the cost of ingredients and the time involved you just have to charge what you are worth. But, I really think this lady will be back, I mean who freezes a cake to set out when they have guests?? She'll be back when she can afford it.

all4cake Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:53am
post #5 of 18

I just cracked myself up ...

I thought about this frugal woman who is tryin' to get all the mileage she can out of that poor top tier...in and out of the freezer....hahahahahahaha....okay...you just gotta see what I'm seein'. This woman...readying her tablescape...smiling as she heads to her freezer to retrieve her trusty cake tier.....like setting out a bowl full of plastic grapes....hahahahahahahaha ( I got a feelin' I'm gonna giggle over this image for days)

beenzee Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:57am
post #6 of 18

I know what you mean, because being pretty new to this I am somewhat torn between wanting to "get the order" and charging what it really should cost.
In any event, I would not do the cake you described for less than 150. She sounds a little kooky anyway, let her walk. There'll be plenty others!

catcreations Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:57am
post #7 of 18

I agree with learnincakes she will be back. Make a cake anyway and put it in your portfolio. When she comes back she will have wished she had gone through you!!

cakes22 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I thought about this frugal woman who is tryin' to get all the mileage she can out of that poor top tier...in and out of the freezer....hahahahahahaha....okay...you just gotta see what I'm seein'. This woman...readying her tablescape...smiling as she heads to her freezer to retrieve her trusty cake tier.....like setting out a bowl full of plastic grapes....hahahahahahahaha ( I got a feelin' I'm gonna giggle over this image for days)

I was thinking the same! You could get a lot of use out of a cake! & it's red so it goes with V-day, Christmas, Thanksgiving.......the possibilites are endless.

Sorry you didn't get the order, that sucks! It's kind of a let down when you don't get an order. Specially when you know they are getting some crap cake for Costco.
She'll be back..........and so will others. thumbs_up.gif

juleskaye518 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:48pm
post #9 of 18

I am wondering if she sets the cake out to show, then takes it back into the kitchen to "serve" and actually serves a costco cake pretending it is the red one? Or have I just been watching too much TV?

Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #10 of 18

I disagree with your hubby...You should not have done it for cheaper.If she doesn't want to pay your prices she will have to shop elsewhere..

Do you think Walmart will lower their prices for you because you don't want to pay the price listed on the shelf? icon_confused.gif Ummmm NO!!

Laurel icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

karenm0712 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:06pm
post #11 of 18

I think you did the right thing! You shouldn't have done it for a lesser price and being that it is a last minute order I may have charged more! I just did a last minute order last weekend and NEVER again will I do that - too much trouble...for me anyways!

fabulosity Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

She has to take it back to the kitchen to "cut" it. What does she serve them? icon_rolleyes.gif

Nyree Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:33pm
post #13 of 18

Try not feel cruddy, because its her lose and it will be someone else's gain. Never underprice your time or the hard work you put into any order. I understand totally, I had someone ask me for three stacked cakes in the shape of text books, covered in fondant and different flavors and filling and said her budget was 100 not to mention I would have needed to deliver the cake which was about 40 minutes away from my home icon_eek.gif

People don't realize how much time, thought and work goes into creating cakes. I hope you get another order from someone who just isn't trying to be cheap

Peridot Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:49pm
post #14 of 18

I think that $150 sounds pretty cheap for a cake that size. I certainly would not have lowered my price. Don't feel bad - your work is worth it and you should not be giving it away. Everyone is right - there will be more customers down the road who will gladly pay what you are asking and appreciate the time and effort you put into your cakes. Hope she enjoys her $12 cake!

jlynnw Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:50pm
post #15 of 18

It sounds to me like she is a major cheapo! Who just displays a cake? Has she been taking credit for it as well? You are better off not doing this cake. A 3 teir 3 color fondant cakes takes how many hours to make? Plus ROUND TRIP delivery time? Not to mention the price of ingredients, $150 for all that is CHEAP. People on tap water budgets with champagne and cavier dreams are never fun to work with. Maybe she will return for the wedding. a 3 tier cake for that small of group tells you she is a cake muggle too!

CakeMommy3 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #16 of 18

I knew you guys would understand! Thanks for confirming what I already thought. I guess I should try not to be annoyed with people who don't have a clue what cakes really cost (jlynnw-"cake muggle"-hilarious!). And maybe she will keep me in mind-maybe when Costco is closed for some holiday? lol. You guys are awesome, I love this site! icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #17 of 18

I was thinking maybe the table gets set...the cake gets set out (to view and awe over)...dinner gets served and she makes sure that everyone gets so full that they have no room for dessert. "Awww, what a shame. This beautiful cake going to waste. Let me get it out of the way(as she scurries it back to the freezer for the next group of guests)." Hoping no one requests a piece to take home for later or no one like me shows up and wants dessert first! haha that would shoot it out of the water for sure!

jlynnw Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm
post #18 of 18

Wow, that cake is pretty - it looks like the cake you had when I came over about 2 months ago! yeah, I remember, I even touched it because I just couldn't help myself. I have never touched fondant before. Oh, look, there are all kinds of fingerprints all over the cake. I guess everyone likes to touch it! Dessert? Uhmm, no everyone has touched it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%