Whimsical House Buttercream Questions

Decorating By Larkin121 Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 3:14pm by rockytop

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:57am
post #1 of 4

I've tried the Whimsical House recipe twice now, 2 different flavors and everyone adores it. The texture is amazing, almost like meringue buttercream! But I get air bubbles all over in it, which I don't get in the typical buttercream recipes.

When I do something like the Wilton recipe (or any that starts with butter/shortening and then the powdered sugar) I don't get air because I keep it relatively slow and use the paddle. But for the whimsical recipe, you are supposed to use the whip attachment on a high speed for 10-20 minutes to get it fluffy, right? I am sure that's why there are bubbles, but can I fix it? I have the same issue with SMBC... lots of bubbles from the whipping.

Also, can this frosting be made stiffer? Could I start with 3/4 of a cup of water instead of the full cup for a slightly stiffer icing to use for decorating?

3 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 4

No answers yet? I actually have all of the same questions as you do. I love love love the taste of their house buttercream and the texture is wonderful. But I too get a lot of air bubbles and would love to make it stiffer!

Sorry I'm no help, but maybe a little bump will help get some answers!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 4

What I have found is that if I don't fill up the mixer bowl, I get a lot of bubbles. But if the mixer bowl is full, even whipping at high speed, I don't get a lot of bubbles. Is the recipe enough to fill the whole bowl? I have the book but never used that recipe before.

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 4

I have never made that recipe , so I am no help. If it were me I would try medium speed on the mixer , or if it needs to be on high I would try the paddle . When I first started making my BC icing I only made a small batch. When I doubled the batch and coverered the paddle Very few air bubbles, I use the method of sugarshack with different ingredents.
HTH
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%