Advice- Will It Work? Driving The Cake...

Decorating By elvis Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 10:36pm by elvis

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:51am
post #1 of 8

Ugggh- I hate situations like this. I am doing a 10"/6" square tiered party cake with buttercream frosting for someone. It will be driving about an hour to the party (with the customer) --

Normally, I would not be worried, since my cakes are always cold and therefore the buttercream firm. My customer is picking up cake....leaving it at her house (at room temp) for 2 days...then coming back to pick it up and drive to the party.

I'm already planning on using shortening-based bc rather than my usual all butter recipe....but it bothers me that it won't be cold during travel. Any advice? I don't have the stress-free support system and no time to order one. Sound okay or too iffy?

7 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:07am
post #2 of 8

Oh my...Well, I think that the buttercream itself will probably be fine. I just always worry about the customer driving the cake! Is there no way that you can drive it to the party? Oh, I see it's an hour away. I like to offer a "highly recommended delivery" for an added fee, of course.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 8

I would instruct them on how to travel with the cake and then tell them once it leaves my hands I am no longer responsible for it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 8

Why is the customer picking it up two days early??

It should be fine, if your customer treats it correctly. I would have a list of how to travel with the cake for her, and have her sign that she read them and that once the cake leaves your hands you are no longer in control it and are not respondsible for anything that happens to it.

I'd include in the list to keep the cake in an cool, air conditioned room while at home. When traveling with it to make sure it is on a completely flat cleared surface and that the car is cool/cold. Not to mention you should not leave the cake in a closed up car to run into the store for a last minute item.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 8

Why is it sitting at room temp. for 2 days, if it is buttercream????

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I would instruct them on how to travel with the cake and then tell them once it leaves my hands I am no longer responsible for it.

Ditto b-day buddy. After you take ownership of it (and have been given proper instructions to take care of it), what happens next is not my issue.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 8

If you and your customer (I'm guessing a friend) are going to the party together, why don't you just keep the cake and keep it chilled until you go to the party? This just seems like unnecessary risk to me...

And while I would usually agree with the "it's in your hands, what happens now is your fault", you're going to be in a tough position if tyou're in the car! So either find a way to keep the cake chilled, or drive in your own car.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everybody- I really appreciate the replies--

A few quick answers--this is for a family friend but I am not attending the party. The buttercream is all shortening and so sitting out 2 days shouldn't be a big deal except for the hour drive which I'm worried about.

She's picking it up tomorrow, leaving town until Sunday. Will return, grab cake and get back in car to drive to party. She wants to avoid having to drive across town to my house on Sunday when she returns--worried about time.
(Personally though, not sure why she's taking the risk)--

I did warn her that room temp cakes are harder to transport than cold cakes and there is the worry of it shifting, etc. --- I feel like that's about all I can do though. I guess like some of you said, it's in her hands if she chooses to take the gamble. If it were me, I'd find a neighbor who has an extra fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%