Would You Do An Outdoor Wedding Cake For Humid 95 Degree

Decorating By kr1970 Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm by mommyle

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:21am
post #1 of 16

weather and what is safer buttercreme- with very little decoration or MMF?

15 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 16

I'm doing an outdoor wedding cake at the end of June in WV (so I'm assuming it will also be that hot). I'm going to be doing a buttercream on the inside and Satin Ice fondant on the outside.

IndyDebi's buttercream recipe says that it stands up really well to heat (that it lasted for 8 hours outside or something like that), so you could try that. It tastes really good too.

Hopefully, someone else can say about the MMF outside. I make MMF sometimes, but I've never really had it outside in hot, humid weather. =o)

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 16

I have done quite a few outdoor weddings. Believe it or not Wisconsin is one of the hottest, most humid places on earth in the summer. Mine are buttercream, usually all shortening. If you use fillings do the sleeves or plain buttercream....absolutely no cream fillings of any kind. Keep the cake in the house, or at your place until you absolutely have to deliver. tell them to serve the cake with the meal or very shortly thereafter....no midnight wedding cake. This has been done for years, but I have never liked it. On the other hand, I have not lost a cake yet, nor a customer. Knock on wood. There are cute ways to cover these with tulle to keep the bugs out as well.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 16

barbarajean, I have friends who travel extensively in their RV and say that Wisconsin, Indiana and Minnesota have the WORST humidity in the country!

Yes, i would do it because my icing has never melted, run, or had color bleeding. I would be more resistent to doing a catering in that weather ... catering is hot work anyway, then add 95 degree heat! Shoot me now! icon_eek.gif

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 16

Ha, I disagree, I think Illinois has the worst humidity, but that is how it seemed when I was growing up--it would knock you down going from AC to the outside, but I digress.

First thing I thought of when I saw this was to have a "show" cake of fondant covered foam (or royal icing) and have sheet cakes to cut in the back. I know it would be more expensive, but how miserable will it be to have an outdoor wedding in that heat?? Plus if your cake doesn't stand up/the icing melts off, how nice will that be?

I cannot even imagine having a wedding dress on in that kind of humidity/heat, let alone the reception. icon_razz.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:58am
post #6 of 16

melvin, since Illinois is between Indy and Wisc, I'd say you're were definitely in the running! But that was a SO perfect description ... the wall of heat/humidity would knock you down!

gateauxdamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxdamour Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #7 of 16

I live in Alabama; it's already topping 80 here and in summer 100 degrees is nothing. Humidity year round runs 80-100 %; summer is generally no lower than 95%.

As for outdoor weddings, an all shortening buttercream has worked fine for me. I've yet to have a problem with MMF or Rhonda's ultimate mmf. Now I have a 6 tier cake coming up in June which will be covered with Choco-pan. That is going to be the true test!

Side note: DH's family is in Illinois. We go there to cool off in the summer (I need long sleeves) and they like to visit us in the winter to warm up (they wear light coats!).

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:22am
post #8 of 16

Oh, man... throw Kentucky into the humidity mix... the dreaded Ohio Valley! It's so humid (95-100% as well) in summer you can feel it on your skin!

I've been using Indydebi's buttercream almost exclusively lately. It is incredibly stable. I've not used it in the heat and humidity yet, but am willing to believe it does what she says it does 'cause I've found it to be faultless so far!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:24am
post #9 of 16

I can't wait to see what July and August bring. we will be at 90 for the next 4-5 days!

amy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy27 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:51am
post #10 of 16

I live in florida it is really hard to make cakes for the summer if i am doing a outside wedding I use a fondant like satin ice and use a frim filling buttercream not a cannoli or something like that I turn my fridge down to coldest setting and I deviler the cake about 30 - 45 min before the wedding starts so it stays pretty cold i haven't had any probllems yet knock on wood ha ha lets see what this summer brings us. good luck.

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #11 of 16

Hey !!
What do you think about the Caribbean ??
This is summer all year round.
Crisco all the way. (No other choice) icon_cool.gif

melvin01 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 16

Man, I would just H-A-T-E to HAVE to do a wedding cake in the Caribbean! I hope no bride ever makes me fly there to do a wedding cake. Seriously, that would be just horrendous...do any of you know anyone who wants me to fly there? ANYONE?? I am fixin to make a sign and stand on the corner "Will bake for trip to the Caribbean. Thank you, God Bless!"

Topaz, your icon says it all....Paradise. Ah! It's rainy here in Austin today so I would love to be there right now, sitting under a palm tree in a hammock with a drink and an umbrella. That is the only reason you should need an umbrella, to keep the sun off of your drink! Hooo yeah!

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #13 of 16

I've done it, when I was first getting started. Used all buttercream. The set up went well, but from what I was told, the tiers started to separate about an hour or so into the reception. The aunt of the bride wanted to sue me, but my girlfriend, who actually paid for the cake, told her that's what you get for having an outdoor wedding, in August, when its 95 degrees outside, 93% humidity, on the waterfront, in Michigan!

Here's the photo link: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=893503

I hope you have a better time of it!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:06pm
post #14 of 16

Well, I hate you all. Seriously. It snowed here yesterday. I'd tell you all to go to H***, but since it's a dry heat you'd probably enjoy it!!! HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAAA!!!!!

melvin01 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #15 of 16

HAHA, do you have to worry about your cake freezing at the reception? At least no one is crazy enough to have a wedding outdoors, although I'm sure the snow is pretty! (I can say that since it's been in the 80's on average here for the past month or two..or three).

Stupid Texas weather!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #16 of 16

Naw... We just have ice-cream cakes!!!! We do frozen yogurt fountains, and have ice-sculptures!!! If I didn't laugh, I'd cry. I'm the type that loves it when it's hot enough to crawl out of your skin!!! I seriously don't think that global warming is available here!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%