Buttercream Success At Last!

Baking By mommyto4 Updated 2 May 2009 , 1:38am by 2sweetcookies

mommyto4 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #1 of 19

I have always liked the simplicity and taste of Sugarshack's buttercream, but could never get the smoothness that Sharon does. Plus, I hated the mess that it always made because the bowl was soooo full.

But today I figured it out. Putting the towel over the mixer worked okay, but I wasn't happy with it. I have a 6 qt. KA so I was using the appropriate recipe from the recipe section here at CC. My KA came with a splash shield but it still leaked from the opening in the side and the opening under the spout. So today I put plastic wrap around the bowl and shield to block the openings. IT WORKED! No more mess!

Then, since it wasn't making a mess I actually let it stir the right amount of time and what do ya know, smooth as a baby's butt. I'm so happy. I can't wait till tomorrow so I can use it and see the difference. I had some of the last batch I made and I could REALLY tell a difference between today's batch and the last one. Today's was soooo much smoother.

So, moral of the story. Don't give up! Keep trying! I was determined to master it and I'm so very close. And try some plastic wrap (I use the Sam's club brand, it sticks the best!)

18 replies
7yyrt Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 19

Oh no - powdered sugar clouds and spattering!!!!
icon_mad.gif cough, cough...

Thanks for the tip!

luv2cook721 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:12am
post #3 of 19
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Oh no - powdered sugar clouds and spattering!!!!
icon_mad.gif cough, cough...

Thanks for the tip!

Ha ha, that is exactly how I refer to it, then there is the layer of powdered sugar dust that coats everything with in 3 ft of the mixer.

Uniqueask Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:32am
post #4 of 19

YOu have to use Hi Ratio Shortening and pour the sugar in a little at a time.

Bonnie1462 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:40am
post #5 of 19

Can I ask you how many tablespoons of the coffee creamer do you use for your 6 QT KA mixer? I have a terrible time icing my cakes and purchased Sharon's Buttercream DVD (actually bought all of them!) but I have been too afraid to attempt the receipe. And flavoring...do you use 5 TBS or more? Thanks for your help!

mommyto4 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:39am
post #6 of 19

I follow the recipe here on CC for a 6 qt mixer. I follow it exactly, but if I want stiff icing for roses or something then I don't add all the liquid. This, of course, is going to depend on the humidity where you are.

sweetjane3 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 19

I'm looking for a good buttercream. What recipe do you use? There are alot of different recipes here on CC.

cupcakemkr Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 19
Originally Posted by sweetjane3

I'm looking for a good buttercream. What recipe do you use? There are alot of different recipes here on CC.

this is the recipe she was refering to:

sweetjane3 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 19

Oh!! Thank you so much! I'll add this to my recipe box. I'm new to CC and I find it VERY addictive. I love it!!

DreamInCake11 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 19

I LOVE Sugarshack's BC recipe. I make it in my 5 QT Artisan KA, but I only do a 4x batch (4# high ratio shortning, 4# powdered sugar, etc...) and it is smooth as silk and not as messy as when I do the 5x recipe.

As far as that KA pour shield thing goes, I despise that thing, it just gets in the way and falls off.

Has anyone tried the Wedding Bouquet flavoring Sugarshack uses? How does it taste?

miasuzzette Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 19

Hi, 2 all =] Can You, Please, Post it again, It doesn't come out. When you click on the Link, Thanks for your Time. thumbs_up.gif

melvin01 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #13 of 19

I have the smoothing buttercream video and actually tried the recipe. I wish I could say I love it, I just cannot get past the shortening texture/taste. (I know, don't hate me!).

I have almost always used all butter but I am working on tweaking 1/2 and 1/2 or 3/4 butter and 1/4 shortening. I like the texture of the frosting (and the ease of use), it's just the cleanup and greasyness that it leaves on everything. And the taste.

Like I said, don't hate me!

solascakes Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:52pm
post #14 of 19

I like sugarshacks buttercream, i fnd it quite easy to work with.

panchanewjersey Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #15 of 19

I also like the smooothness but I also think it's too much. I wish I could eat it but I hate that flavor in your mouth, and it is high ratio that I'm using. I just prefer the good'ol butter cream if I hvae to choose between the two

Uniqueask Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #16 of 19

There are different brands of Hi ratio shortening, and Sharon recomends Sweetex, I acutally got my 50# box today, I ordered it from school it is much cheaper there. Can't wait to try it. I have actually used her recipe with crisco and it came out very smooth. she has a you tube video of her making it you may want to watch it.

smbegg Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:02pm
post #17 of 19

Has anyone used the hi-ratio with a regular BC recipe? Is it worth the extra costs? What are the benifits?

RetiredNavyChief Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #18 of 19

I am going to try this recipe. All the times i have made the buttercream icing (Wilton) recipe. My icing is gritty. I guess whipping it longer would take care of this.

2sweetcookies Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:38am
post #19 of 19

Where does everyone buy their high-ratio shortening? I've been looking for a local supplier with no luck. I know there are some sites that wont ship in warm weather because it sits in the trucks, so I'm affraid to order it on line. Has anyone had trouble ordering from a supplier from FLA?

Quote by @%username% on %date%