Still Learning.. Can I Refrigerate Cake Batter ?

Decorating By mom2boog Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 1:55am by luv2c_cultures

mom2boog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2boog Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:23am
post #1 of 13

I am baking cakes for my first wedding cake which is this Sat. There are several different flavors so different batter.. can i make the batter and refrigerate it while one is in the oven cooking then just take it out and put in the pan when it is time for that one to bake?

12 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #2 of 13

You certainly can. I made 6 batches of chocolate cake batter Monday evening and that way I can come home and bake several layers each evening and space it out during the week since I work a full time job. The batter will get thick so I use a large ice cream scoop to measure it out. I am in the process of weighing each of my recipes so that I will know how much one complete batch weighs and then I can weigh the pans as I scoop the batter in and know that I am putting in just the right amount for the pan size I am using. HTH icon_smile.gif

mom2boog Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #3 of 13

Can anyone help? Not sure if it matters but I am using the original WASC recipe.

mom2boog Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:33am
post #4 of 13

Great.. thanks so much that .. I am going in the kitchen right now and make up several recipes as I too work a full time job and am a single mom with a WILD 3 year old. icon_smile.gif
thanks again!!!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:34am
post #5 of 13

I would get all the ingredients organized/measured and about 10/15 min before your cake is due out, start your batter.

I did stick extra batter in the fridge today because I didn't have enough cupcake pans for all the batter I made. It seemed to work out fine for me but your batter could be different.

Edited to add, considering you are in a crunch with a ft job and preschooler...go for it!

ptanyer Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:38am
post #6 of 13

You're very welcome. I have done this with chocolate cake, pound cake and carrot cake so far and no problems at all. You can even freeze the batter if you need to.

BTW, welcome to CC from another SC girl! (I was born and raised in Greenville!)

mom2boog Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:03am
post #7 of 13

Thanks for the welcome Ptanyer and for the advice and glad to meet you.. and you would have to be from here to know where Pelzer is.. ha ha ha.

ptanyer Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #8 of 13

Nice to meet you too. Been to Pelzer many times when I was growing up. Always nice to meet a SC sister.

mom2boog Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:37am
post #9 of 13

maybe you can answer another question for me.. I am using the original WASC for the white cake layers on this cake. I have never used it for white(funny) so now that I am ready to do that portion I am unsure.. the recipe calls for whole eggs??? in white?

ptanyer Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:43am
post #10 of 13

I wish that I could answer that for you but I have never made that cake before. I make my cakes from scratch (just my choice, not knocking doctored cake mixes). Maybe someone else will have an answer to that question... anyone out there that can help?

ptanyer Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #11 of 13

I looked up the recipe for the WASC and it says 8 egg whites, not the whole egg. Does that help?

2 boxes white cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teas. salt
8 egg whites
2 2/3 cups water
4 Tbls. vegetable oil
2 cups (16oz carton) sour cream
2 teaspoon clear vanilla flavor
2 teaspoons almond extract

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:55am
post #12 of 13

Mom2boog... You are correct, the original recipe call for eggs used whole. Do not hesitate to go that route. The cake will work fine and is still white when baked. I find it a much more user friendly version as there is no separating of the yolks/whites.

luv2c_cultures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2c_cultures Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:55am
post #13 of 13

I remember reading on one of the WASC posts that it doesn't matted if you use egg whites or whole eggs. I believe I tried it with whole eggs once and the result was the same. Hopefully someone else can confirm this for you. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%