Need Help With Stacked Chocolate Cake

Decorating By jguilbeau Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 2:06pm by tyty

jguilbeau Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:06am
post #1 of 14

I am making a 2 tiered/stacked chocolate grooms cake. Please help with your expertise in this area.
1. Should I double board in-between tiers (since chocolate cake is so dense and heavy)?
2. I was thinking of putting waxed paper between each tier, so when the top cake is removed all the icing will not come up with it. Will this work?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance for your help.

13 replies
jguilbeau Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:30am
post #2 of 14

bumping myself

Hcrisler Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:39am
post #3 of 14

I will be watching this post, I am going to be doing a 3 tier stacked choc cake in a couple of weeks.

jguilbeau Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:06am
post #4 of 14

I really need an answer, have to start putting cake together tomorrow. Please reply all you CC experts!

KitchenKat Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:03am
post #5 of 14

I always make stacked chocolate cakes with ganache frosting. I don't double the boards cos I use foamcore and it's stable enough to support the weight of the cake. I don't put wax paper between layers cos I worry about slipping.

jguilbeau Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks TheCasualKitchen for your reply, any other suggestions out there?

lordbuffington Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 14

What about an SPS?

I am doing a 2 tier stacked birthday cake for this weekend and I found an SPS-type system at my local bakery supplies store. It's not the exact same brand, but exact same idea, and I feel quite relieved to have found it locally, since my cake will be making a 25 minute drive.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Andrea

cricket0616 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 14

What is SPS? I have not heard of it!

drakegore Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 14

i am no expert, but i did a two tier (each tier was 4") dense chocolate cake with raspberry filling and heavy fondant decorations last june with just the wilton cardboard and wooden dowels decorations and it held up really well before/during/after party. (this was before i even knew i had options on how to stack, lol).

diane

jguilbeau Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 14

The cake is for tomorrow night and we do not have any cake supply stores that sell the SPS system. I guess i'll just glue two boards together, and dowel and pray that holds the weight.

lordbuffington Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:43pm
post #11 of 14

If you go to the "How Do I?" folder, there is a sticky towards the top labeled "SPS Instructions". There are columns that stick tightly into a plate, which your cake sits on. I haven't actually used it yet myself, but from reading tons of posts about it, I am feeling pretty confident about my cake for this weekend!

lordbuffington Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:49pm
post #12 of 14

Do you have a Joann's? I am not sure, but they might sell the plates and hidden pillars?

You will survive without it! Get some wooden dowel rods and use cardboard circles. Depending on how high your cake is, you might also want to do a large center dowel.

You'll be fine! Don't fret! icon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:03pm
post #13 of 14

What size are your tiers? I have done several groom's cakes with 12/8" square pans. Epicurious.com double chocolate layer cake is pretty dense. I always stack on site, but I use cardboard and dowels and have not had a problem ... yet. Crossing my fingers since I have another wedding this weekend and I will be doing the same thing ..... icon_smile.gif

tyty Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:06pm
post #14 of 14

For the last groom's cake I did, I used foam core board, and I also used waxed paper between the tiers. I place the waxed paper down after I support, then put icing on top of the waxed paper then set the next cake on top. Never had a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%