Need Help With This Buttercream, Please

Decorating By Alicia0620 Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 3:29pm by DsLady614

Alicia0620 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 7

I used a different buttercream today that I found on here, and it's very good!! But it's very much like an all cream cheese icing so I'm wondering is it going to crust like normal buttercream? And do I need to refridgerate it??

Here's the recipe:
Its called Best Ever Buttercream.
1 c shortening
1 c butter
1c heavy cream
8 c powdered sugar
2 tsp extract
pinch of salt.

I actually added more sugar because it was TOO creamy at first. But it is VERY good, just need some help tonight.

Thanks so much!!

6 replies
panchanewjersey Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 7

Being that it has a cup of cream I don't think it will crust, it almost sounds like a whipped bc. It sounds real good. I've never tried it but if you put the iced cake in frig and it doesn't crust in about 30 min than chances are it's not a crusting recipe.

Bossy Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 7

I'm not an expert, but most crusting recipes have merangue powder of flour added.

Alicia0620 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:27am
post #4 of 7

Well that's what I thought.. So I added 2 tblsp of Meringue powder to it. I've had in the ref for a little while and am about to try to smooth it out. We'll see I guess.

Alicia0620 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 7

Ok the results are in.... And it doesn't crust!!!!! icon_cry.gif So that means I wasn't able to get it completely smooth so no biggie right?!? I thought I would just cover it in fondant, but no.. My friend INSISTED that I did not cover it in Fondant! icon_mad.gif So I had an ivory monstrosity last night that I coverd the best I could but it basically looks like I just started decorating cakes and that it was one of my first ones. icon_mad.gificon_cry.gificon_mad.gif

Oh well.. Make a bad cake and move on right? Ya live and ya learn.

I'll be posting the pic later today.

Rylan Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 7

I think its because of the cream.

Good luck on your next one.

DsLady614 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 7

The ratio of fat to sugar is way off in the recipe, no chance it would crust.

Also, as a clarification, meringue powder and/or flour do not cause an icing to crust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%