Making A Bucket

Decorating By cakesbytanya Updated 29 May 2009 , 2:42pm by DianeLM

cakesbytanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytanya Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 10

I'm planning on making a cake to look like a mop and bucket. I need it to be a fairly small cake so I'm planning on making the bucket out of 3 6" cakes. What I need help with is how to carve the cake so that it is smaller on the bottom so it looks like a real bucket. Thanks for any help you can give me.

9 replies
cakesbytanya Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 10

Nobody can help me carve a bucket? I've seen lots of buckets on this site.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 10

These instructions are for the beer pail cake in my gallery, which is exactly the same shape.

Tapered Beer Pail Cake

The beer pail is 3 10-inch layers. You don't necessarily have to dowel - I've done it both ways. If you don't dowel, be prepared for your pieces to be VERY tall. Otherwise, you can either torte the middle tier and dowel the cake in half, or, place a plate and dowels under the top layer only.

Before you add boards, you'll need to taper the cake. If you're using a filling other than buttercream, you'll need to taper the layers before adding the filling. If you're filling with buttercream, go ahead and fill and stack the 3 layers. If you're using another filling, place one or two small (less than 8") cardboard cakeboards between the layers. These will mimic the space that will later be taken by your filling.

Place the cake on a 10-inch cakeboard. Elevate the cake on a small cake pan and place the whole thing inside a large pan to catch your trimmings. I put a piece of non-skid mat under the cake and under the elevating pan. Place an 8-inch cakeboard on top of the cake.

With a serrated knife, longer than the height of your cake, use the cakeboards as a guide to trim and make your taper shape. Make sure the knife is always touching BOTH cakeboards at all times so you don't accidentally cut too much off in the middle.

This is the time to add your filling, if necessary. Remove the 8-inch board, separate the layers, add the filling. Replace the layers. You might need to do a little trimming to even it all out.

Flip the cake over and there you have it!

cakesbytanya Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you for your help Diane!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 10

I haven't tried it yet, but I've also read that it's easier to carve more uniformly if you flip the cake upside-down and carve from smaller to bigger then flip back when you're satisfied with the shape...

DianeLM Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

I haven't tried it yet, but I've also read that it's easier to carve more uniformly if you flip the cake upside-down and carve from smaller to bigger then flip back when you're satisfied with the shape...

Yep. You probably read it in my instructions up there ^. thumbs_up.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 10

Doh! I did now!
I'm sorry!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:40am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the instruction DianeLM,it is very explanatory.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:54am
post #9 of 10

not meaning to steal your post but is there a way for me to save these directions. I have not yet figured this out and my search does not work.

DianeLM Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerjo

not meaning to steal your post but is there a way for me to save these directions. I have not yet figured this out and my search does not work.

Just click "Add to Favorites" on your browser and this thread will be available to you anytime. I created a folder in my favorites just for CC threads. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%