Help To Make Stacked Books Grad Cake, Esp The Covers

Decorating By margaretb Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 2:42am by sugarshack

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make a graduation cake that will include at least one fondant covered book cake. Any tips on those? Do I carve the cake or just add fondant to a rectangle cake. For the bottom cover, do I cut out a rectangle of fondant and set the cake on top of it? I would really appreciate any hints or tips. I tried searching for previous threads on this, but I seemed to come up with hundreds that were not related!

Thank you,
Margaret

6 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 7

I would like to know as well so here is a bump.
terri

sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 7

Here's another bump, I need some detail instructions as well.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-628199.html

This was posted just a few down from yours. icon_smile.gif

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 7

What I did is I took an 9x13 and put it on a cake board. Then I covered the cake and board. (like the fondant was the book cover. So the sides are not covered. Then I covered the sides in BC and used a comb to make the lines for pages. You can also make the pages out of fondant and use a comb to make the page lines. Then I made another one and stacked it on top. There is one in My pictures that is stacked and another that is just one book.
HTH!
Jen...

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the link, CakeMommy3 -- I did my searching last night and so today I posted without looking again. I was actually just browsing cakes (I'm at the library with high speed internet -- car battery died so I've been trapped in town with 3 kids for the last 5 hours waiting for hubby to finish work and rescue us -- only two people have offered to help rescue us, but I don't have booster cables with me, and everyone else just goes: "how are you" me: "stuck in town until Rod can come and give us a boost" them "that's nice".) and I think on some of the cakes, the bottom cover is actually just a thin narrow strip of fondant added around the bottom, and the top/spine is one big piece of fondant.

Mellormom -- thanks for the tip about using the comb to make the pages.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:42am
post #7 of 7

the books were easy just time consuming. a thick piece of white scored fondant with the lines was placed on the 3 sides for the pages. the spine and top cover were one piece. i added a TON of tylose to the colored fondant. rolled it out just under 1/4 inch thick. let it set up some before i put it on the cake. go no more than 1/4 inch over the top edge of the cake or cover will droop. I propped the corners up with viva for a while so they would not droop. the bottm "cover" is just strips (1/4 inch wide) applied along the bottom white part of the pages.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%