Help To Make Stacked Books Grad Cake, Esp The Covers

Decorating By margaretb Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 2:42am by sugarshack

margaretb Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make a graduation cake that will include at least one fondant covered book cake. Any tips on those? Do I carve the cake or just add fondant to a rectangle cake. For the bottom cover, do I cut out a rectangle of fondant and set the cake on top of it? I would really appreciate any hints or tips. I tried searching for previous threads on this, but I seemed to come up with hundreds that were not related!

Thank you,

6 replies
terrig007 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 7

I would like to know as well so here is a bump.

sweetkake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 7

Here's another bump, I need some detail instructions as well.

CakeMommy3 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 7

This was posted just a few down from yours. icon_smile.gif

mellormom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 7

What I did is I took an 9x13 and put it on a cake board. Then I covered the cake and board. (like the fondant was the book cover. So the sides are not covered. Then I covered the sides in BC and used a comb to make the lines for pages. You can also make the pages out of fondant and use a comb to make the page lines. Then I made another one and stacked it on top. There is one in My pictures that is stacked and another that is just one book.

margaretb Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the link, CakeMommy3 -- I did my searching last night and so today I posted without looking again. I was actually just browsing cakes (I'm at the library with high speed internet -- car battery died so I've been trapped in town with 3 kids for the last 5 hours waiting for hubby to finish work and rescue us -- only two people have offered to help rescue us, but I don't have booster cables with me, and everyone else just goes: "how are you" me: "stuck in town until Rod can come and give us a boost" them "that's nice".) and I think on some of the cakes, the bottom cover is actually just a thin narrow strip of fondant added around the bottom, and the top/spine is one big piece of fondant.

Mellormom -- thanks for the tip about using the comb to make the pages.

sugarshack Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:42am
post #7 of 7

the books were easy just time consuming. a thick piece of white scored fondant with the lines was placed on the 3 sides for the pages. the spine and top cover were one piece. i added a TON of tylose to the colored fondant. rolled it out just under 1/4 inch thick. let it set up some before i put it on the cake. go no more than 1/4 inch over the top edge of the cake or cover will droop. I propped the corners up with viva for a while so they would not droop. the bottm "cover" is just strips (1/4 inch wide) applied along the bottom white part of the pages.

Quote by @%username% on %date%