Beginners Buttercream ?

Baking By Rosebud22 Updated 13 May 2009 , 2:52pm by Texas_Rose

Rosebud22 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 4

When making homemade buttercream do you use regular or butter-flavored crisco? icon_confused.gif

3 replies
7yyrt Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 4

I use either real butter or (if it's going to be really hot), all or half regular shortening. I believe many here use the butter flavored. It's all in which one you like.
Image to CC !

Harabekah Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 4

Hi!
i use regular Crisco for my recipe. I get nothing but awesome comments on it. icon_smile.gif

1 cup solid white vegetable shortening (crisco)
2-3 tbsp water ( i use 3)
1 tbsp meringue powder
1 tsp flavoring (vanilla, butter, rum, peppermint etc) I use vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar

Blend crisco, water and flavoring together til creamy. Add meringue powder and powdered sugar.

Hope it helps. This recipe is great for decorating and filling. I have used it with carrot cake, chocolate and white. Everyone always comments on it. It also holds up very well in the heat and can be left out (not refrigerated) because it doesn't use milk. Add more water to thin or more powdered sugar to thicken.

Any questions, just ask. icon_smile.gif
Rebekah

Texas_Rose Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 4

I use regular crisco. I use Indydebi's recipe and it tastes wonderful, unlike some other all-shortening buttercream recipes I've tried in the past.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

If you live somewhere hot, it's a great recipe to try because it doesn't melt the second you get outside...I've had that happen with the Wilton recipe that was half butter during the hottest part of the summer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%