First Time Wedding Cake

Decorating By Puppylove Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 3:29am by Puppylove

Puppylove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Puppylove Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to make the cake in the picture below for a wedding on October 10 and I was wondering if you anyone could tell me what they think was used to make the scroll along the side. The person who has asked me to make this cake said instead of this scroll they would like one called "The Wallace Scroll". Has anyone heard of it? Also, being this is my first time making a cake like this I was wondering is people could give me a ball park figure on what to charge? Thanks for your time and help with this matter. icon_smile.gif

For some reason the picture won't show on this page but if you click on it it will take you to a new page with the picture...no idea why.
LL

4 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,
The "wallace scroll" is basically a design that was found on sterling and other things. It's very similar to that picture you posted.

That cake you posted is just a basic fondant cake with scroll work piped on with either Royal or Butter cream.

Your price would depend on the number of servings, for fondant I'm $4.50 and up per serving.

Puppylove Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:10am
post #3 of 5

I found out the cake I am talking about above has the following in it: was French Vanilla with Boston cream Middle buttercream crumb coat then the fondant. They were charged by the person who did that one $180 plus $20 for delivery...do you think this is a reasonable price for a cake like that? I am asking as I have never done one of those and charged for them. I am not sure if I can charge more than the other decorator who is no longer available to them now. icon_confused.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:25am
post #4 of 5

What you charge is TOTALLY up to you. I would probably charge around $200 myself but many others here would charge upwards of $300-$450 for the cake. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with. Will you lose money by charging what the other person charged? No, as long as you don't have to go buy pans, and tools. If you have that and only need ingrediants then you will come out with a profit, though be it smaller than some.

I do not charge a lot for my cakes right now. I actually do them WAY lower than I want to but right now I am also trying to build my portfolio. So that is a decision I have made to do in order to build it faster. I make sure that my customers know that this is a promotional price as well so they don't expect it all the time.

The cake is very nice. I am sure you will do wonderfully!

Puppylove Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:29am
post #5 of 5

Thank you for that. I agree with what you said as I am trying to build a portfolio myself by making cakes for extended family at no charge. I think I will take your idea about informing my customers that this is only a promotional charge so that I have the leeway to raise my prices in the future. Thanks again for your help. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%