Help! Need Good Diabetic Cake Recipe....

Decorating By CakeDiosa Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 12:52pm by Lady_Phoenix

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 26

So....I tried one recipe I found that involved covering the pan with foil and baking it in a shallow pan of water..... wow.... sooooo not a cake in the end! I turned out a 1/2", rubbery, chocolaty mass resembling a manhole cover that didn't rise one bit. Great to help the city save money but not so great for serving someone!

Does anyone have a good tried and true chocolate diabetic cake recipe???

Thanks for your help!

25 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 26

LOL...I don't have a recipe to share. I thought your description was quite funny.

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 26

I really wish I had something for you...I mean I AM a diabetic, and I bake, but I've never baked anything dietetic before. Frankly nothing I've ever tasted that was sugar free-baked ever measured up. That's why I never pursued it...maybe that's why I SHOULD have pursued it. icon_smile.gif

I'll check the diabetic recipe book that I have when I get home, but I've got nothing that's "tried and true". I'll get back to you if/when (hopefully) I find something. Good luck in the meantime!

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 26

I ahve never tried this recipe but it looks great lhttp://fittv.discovery.com/fansites/blaine/recipes/dayatbay/episode6_angelfoodcake.html I am diabetic and have used a lot of the recipes from here and never been disappointed. TO make it chocolate you could add cocoa powder and additional sweetener. That would not raise the carb count very much at all.

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 26

Haven't tried this one but it sure looks marvelous . This is off Sugarshack blog. Her sister Janice is a sugar free baker.

Sugar-free Chocolate Cake

2 cups flour
1½ cups Splenda (granular no calorie sweetener)
3/4-cup non-dairy creamer powder
¼ tsp salt
1 ¼ tsp baking soda
½ cup + 2 Tbsp cocoa
¾ cup applesauce or vegetable oil
1 cup + 2 Tbsp milk
2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 ½ tsp vanilla

Measure the dry ingredients into a bowl reserving ¼ cup Splenda. In another bowl mix the applesauce (or substitute ¾ cup vegetable oil),Milk, vanilla, and 3 egg yolks. Beat the egg whites until fluffy, slowly adding the remaining ¼ cup of Splenda. Whisk together the dry ingredients with the liquid making a smooth batter. Beat for 2 minutes until color lightens. Then fold in the egg whites. Bake in two greased and floured 8 inch cake pans, at 350 degrees about 20 30 minutes. When Baking with Splenda, products bake quicker so test to see when cake springs back or when a toothpick comes out clean. They also do not rise very much. Each layer was about 1-1.5 inches tall, so I torted them and filled.

Sugar-free Chocolate Frosting

1 Large box Vanilla or chocolate instant sugar free Jell-O pudding mix
1-cup low fat milk
2 cups heavy cream

In a mixing bowl pour the milk. Measure out the heavy cream and open the pudding box. Quickly pour the pudding into the milk beating just until absorbed, add the heavy cream and continue to beat until light and fluffy.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 26

here's the one i make and they always say how good it is and request it again and again.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Died-and-Went-to-Heaven-Chocolate-Cakediabetic-Version-217973

with this icing: http://splenda.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Recipe.aspx?nprid=106814

hth!

CakeDiosa Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:45am
post #7 of 26

OH MY GOSSSSSHHHHH!!! Thank you all!!! You've no idea how long I searched on line for a good diabetic recipe!!! Why didn't I just post here first???? DUH!!! These are some good ones for my arsenal and I'll likely try them all!!!! Special thanks for posting the entire recipe and directions from Sugarshacks website!!!

You people rock!!!!! I couldn't have more love for a group of strangers if someone paid me for it!!!! My most heartfelt thanks, again, for your time and input everyone!!!!!

big, fat, muaaahhhh!!!!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:49am
post #8 of 26

Just remember there are sugars in heavy cream and milk.........and diabetics need to watch those carbs.........icon_smile.gif

CakeDiosa Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:00am
post #9 of 26

Ahhh yes.... good call. I am actually going to use the diabetic icing recipe from CC that calls for whipping cream and cream cheese (gotta check the sugar counts in those) as I need to color the icing to match the birthday cake this little cake will accompany.

Thanks for that bit of info.... every bit helps!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 26

save.....

Dang, I hope that Sugarshack (sister's) recipe works....have to have a PERFECT one by Saturday. Wish I would have declined all together...no sugar?????? How on earth can you make a nice fluffy cake without creaming butter and real sugar?!??!?

__Jamie__ Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:08pm
post #11 of 26

Ok...help please! Are there any recipes for diabetic WHITE cake?? I don't think chocolate is gonna fly with these folks. Thanks guys!!

madgeowens Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:30pm
post #12 of 26

I really don't think there can be a "diabetic" cake. Its important for a diabetic to understand its not only sugar but complex sugars they need to watch. Personally I would make the normal cake and they can have a sliver for a slice. Thats just me, everyone has to decide what is best for them. icon_smile.gif

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I really don't think there can be a "diabetic" cake. Its important for a diabetic to understand its not only sugar but complex sugars they need to watch. Personally I would make the normal cake and they can have a sliver for a slice. Thats just me, everyone has to decide what is best for them. icon_smile.gif

That's how I enjoy my sugary desserts: in small to moderate servings when my sugar level is in the right range, and I eat it in LIEU OF something else. Those sugar free recipes that were given above look great! I'll have to give them a try. I think the only time I ever had sugar free cake they from a grocery store. They just weren't good at all! But even those kinds of cakes have flour, cream, etc., and those things are sugar-raising. Although, a diabetic that manages their sugars and diet well should know how to factor a slice into their diet for that special occasion...or on any occasion, for that matter.

Good luck, CakeDiosa, and let us know how it turns out!

madgeowens Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:08pm
post #14 of 26

Whever you look at a "sugar free" item, be sure and check the carbohydrates too..........if there are carbs then there are sugars....they should really not be telling diabetics its "sugar free". Some people who are type 2 and newly diagnosed can be buying all these so called sugar free products, and wonder why they still have elevated readings. Its really difficult to get the hang of your diet at times, and those things sure don't help them. Good luck, and be sure and remember those carbs....many times if you can get those grams down you will get sugar under control.

kayjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayjess Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #15 of 26

o.k.. I don't want to start a whole issue on here about box vs. scratch, but if you do not have to bake from scratch, did you know that they now make sugar free cake mixes? My regular grocery store carries them. I believe they are Pillsbury, but please don't hold me to that. I buy them and make them for my mother in law who is diabetic, they come in both white and yellow, and she says they are really good. HTH!!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:20pm
post #16 of 26

I agree with with madgeowens. It's really hard to make a "diabetic "cake. I am type 1 diabetic and my doctor told me I could have a piece of cake ( a smaller than normal piece) in moderation. It's all about the carbs, not the sugar. She told me don't even look at the amount of sugar in it. You should always go by the carbs. I used to buy something because it said sugar free and couldn't figure out why my sugars were still high. As soon as I went by the carbs, it all evened out!

__Jamie__ Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjess

o.k.. I don't want to start a whole issue on here about box vs. scratch, but if you do not have to bake from scratch, did you know that they now make sugar free cake mixes? My regular grocery store carries them. I believe they are Pillsbury, but please don't hold me to that. I buy them and make them for my mother in law who is diabetic, they come in both white and yellow, and she says they are really good. HTH!!

I am a strictly scratch baker....but what you just said is something I am seriously considering for this particular client. I hate to lose a client due their dietary restrictions, but at the same time, I wish I had know sooner than 3 days out from the dang tasting about "no sugar".....otherwise, I would have declined it all together and save myself this flipping headache.

I seem to remember seeing boxes of cake mix near the spice section at grocery store alongside all the carb and gluten free flours and carob chips and stuff. Gonna check it out today.

SimplySensationalSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySensationalSweets Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:32pm
post #18 of 26

I'm diabetic and before I found out I hardly ever wanted the sweets..now that I can't have it, it's all I want. I've made it my mission to find diabetic friendly recipes. We use the Pillsbury reduced sugar mixes for the Vanilla and Chocolate but I really wasn't pleased with the yellow. It seemed to be too dry. The chocolate was amazing..that's my fam's fav. Also, I have seen in the store the glutten free cakes and icings but haven't tried them yet.

Good Luck on your hunt!

Tracie

Lady_Phoenix Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #19 of 26

As has already been said, as a diabetic, I could carbs, Not JUST sugars! White flour is a simple carb, and raises blood sugars rapidly. The issue with cake is not just the frosting or sugar, its the flour too. The recipe I posted the link to earlier is a white cake... but more of a meringue with minimal flour added. The flours used are soy and wheat, both of which are kinder on blood sugar levels. You can also "make" sugar free confectioner sugar using splenda and cornstarch processed together in a food processor until it looks like powder.

With all that said, when I bake for my family I factor a half slice of what I bake into my meal plan for that meal. I also add extra exercise to counteract the sugars.

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:04pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

You are right- but often the newly diagnosed need something to help them transition.
I have a diabetic cookbook where she has a few cakes. They use a combination of flours- whole wheat, oat and soy. The whole wheat and oat are complex carbs so they don't spike your sugar as much, and soy flour is really a protein. I've tried a few of them and they are not to my taste. My main issue is the Splenda aftertaste that is in baked goods.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #21 of 26

I would rather have a little piece of something good than a larger piece of something.....ugh, so-so!

CakeDiosa Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:38pm
post #22 of 26

Wow...so much more to consider than just a sugar free recipe. I think I'll forward this info along to the girl who wants it (a mini cake for her diabetic dad at her nephew's birthday party) and see what she wants to do.

Thanks, again, to all of you for your input and Madge for enlightening me beyond just thinking about sugar.

madgeowens Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:07am
post #23 of 26

They are 50% less sugar..........the carbs in cake raises a diabetic blood sugar so they can't just look at sugar content

madgeowens Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:16am
post #24 of 26

Sugar raises glucose immediately and carbs a complex sugar steadily raises it over the next two hours and makes it hard to get blood glucose under control....a small piece of regular cake when readings are in good range should not hurt them, howver everyone is different. Additional exercise would be a great idea. There is no simple solution to this . I think its great people are trying to figure it out so they can have their cake and eat it too.........sorry I couldn't help myself icon_smile.gif

SMcDonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMcDonald Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 7:12am
post #25 of 26

As a fellow type 1 diabetic I have to agree that it really doesn't matter how much sugar there is, it is the total carb count that matters. If you take a look at the back of a package of "sugar-free" anything, you will usually find that the total carbs is just as high, if not higher than the non "sugar-free" item. For a diabetic, we have to count the sugar alcohols that non diabetics don't have to count. I don't really believe that there is such a thing as "diabetic food", we just have to watch everything that we eat.

Lady_Phoenix Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 12:52pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMcDonald

As a fellow type 1 diabetic I have to agree that it really doesn't matter how much sugar there is, it is the total carb count that matters. If you take a look at the back of a package of "sugar-free" anything, you will usually find that the total carbs is just as high, if not higher than the non "sugar-free" item. For a diabetic, we have to count the sugar alcohols that non diabetics don't have to count. I don't really believe that there is such a thing as "diabetic food", we just have to watch everything that we eat.

I could not agree more. My ex thought it was funny that at the store I picked an item up, flip it around and read the nutrition label before it went into the cart. A lot of companies reduce sugar, then add extra ingredients that raise the carb count above what it would be with the sugar in there. I rarely buy anything marked "sugar free" or "No added sugar," as I can buy the same product for less money with no more carbs and more flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%