Stacking?

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm by cdent

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All!

I am bugging everyone a lot today!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

There are some posts on here that recommend placing a cardboard circle on your bottom tier cake first. Then take your upper tiered cake (which is already on it's own circle) and place it directly on the cake circle. This will help min. the damage to the cakes.

This sounds like a GREAT idea!!! but, how does this "extra" cake circle stay in place? If it is not already attached to my cake, how do I prevent it from shifting? Especially if I am traveling with the cake already stacked....

Sorry, if this sounds stupid....Like my CC title says, I am a NEWBIE =)

Thank you.

5 replies
PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 6

Gee, I haven't heard of that one. Seems redundant to have two cake circles. I have heard of using parchment circles, fondant and powdered sugar, things like that. You are right, it would seem that the cake would slide right off, unless it is doweled down the center from top to bottom. Hummmm.

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Mikel79!

I use double sided sticky tape to secure the two cardboard circles together and then to reinforce the one on the cake, use frosting and maybe hammer a long dowel through all of the layers icon_smile.gif

gwright0906 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwright0906 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 6

I'm still pretty new at this but I've never heard of that either. I'm anxious to see how that's beneficial though.

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 6

I know that when you do this, you're supposed to glue the cardboard together so that the lines on the cardboard are going in different directions. You take the first cardboard with lines facing this way _ _ _ and glue it with the other one with the lines facing this way I I I I

So that if one cardboard weakens and starts to bend, the idea is that since the lines are going in different directions, it makes it stronger.

Sorry, I hope I explained that right and I hope it wasn't confusing.

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 6

The only reason I could think of doing that would be to prevent your fingers from scraping the top of the bottom layer when you go to stack them. You wouldn't have to worry about that if it's covered with fondant. It's an interesting idea that's for sure icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%