Mmf Figures

Decorating By Boogie27 Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 11:24pm by beachcakes

Boogie27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boogie27 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 6

I've been looking thru a lot of sites and have yet to see what im looking for - although it is quite possible that I am looking in the wrong spots. I am thinking about making some MMF figures for a cake i have to make - i was curious to find out if i need to let them harden, do they droop? Do i have to make them week(s) in advance? I have only worked with MMF once and that was just to cover a cake. Any tips or tricks i need to know before i start my endeavour? Thanks!! icon_confused.gif

5 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 6

You can add a little gum paste to the fondant-not sure of the ratio-and it will dry faster and be more sturdy. It helps if they have a day or two to dry, depending on how big they are. (The bigger they are, the longer they need.)

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 6

I've made lots of MMF figures (see my photos). I add some gum tex to my fondant (not really sure how much - just a little bit per ball). I will use tooth picks to attach legs, arms, and heads to the main body. I allow mine to dry for a couple of days and then they are ready to use. Mine have nevered drooped (I use Wilton's fondant) and they look so good. Hope this helps.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:00am
post #4 of 6

I find it easier to model with Wilton fondant because it's stiffer than MMF, but you might be okay if you mix in some gumpaste.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:01am
post #5 of 6

I use mmf fondant to make my figure I hate gumpaste (must be doing something wrong). I also use a little bit of Tylose powder to get it to harden quicker and I use spaghetti instead of toothpicks. I'll make mine 1-2 in advance and it's worked just fine for me. The heavier the figure and if your using just fondant it might droop, it's happend to me.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 6

I've never had good luck w/ MMF figures. I'm 1/2 mi or so from the ocean and the MMF seems to suck the moisture from the air! I had pieces that took 2 weeks to dry! Now I use commercial fondant with a little tylose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%