Cake Flour Vs Regular Flour? What Is Your Preference?

Decorating By CarrieBear Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 2:59am by CarrieBear

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 7

I am still learning and trying new recipes, I have never used 'cake flour' before I have just used regular flour my whole life for baking.
Are there advantages or disadvantages to using cake flour, I want to primarly use the WASC recipe .
over all does it make a huge difference?

anyones experience and opinions on this are appreciated!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 7

Thanks so much for asking this question as I'm also curious about cake flour vs all purpose flour. Also, for those answering the OP's question, are they interchangeable? Can I use all purpose flour in a recipe that calls for cake flour?

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 7

For my cakes I use cake flour. It is made with a softer wheat so it gives a softer crumb. Since I started using it my cakes are taller, lighter, and have a wonderful tight crumb.

There are directions for how much cake flour to use in place of all-purpose. I gave up on that many years ago and my cakes always come out beautifully. I just use the same amount of cake flour as I did all-purpose flour. This statement may start a fire storm, but it's what I do. What anyone else does is entirely up to them.

All-purpose flour can be used, but it's actually better for things like pie crusts and biscuits. It's not likely anyone will complain if you use all-purpose flour for your cakes. Sometimes it's a matter of economics rather than the size of the crumb of the cake.

HTH

Michele

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 7

Well, I use what the recipe calls for: If it calls for AP, then that's what I use... same goes for cake, pastry, bread, whatever. That said, most of my cake recipes do use cake flour, but if you are already using AP flour with success and your recipes are formulated for it, I would stick with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, you know?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Well, I use what the recipe calls for: If it calls for AP, then that's what I use...

Me too. Come to think of it...I don't use any recipes that require cake flour. Here is a picture that I remember seeing a long time ago. It may help you decide. I guess it didn't really affect me, huh? icon_lol.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=871023

CarrieBear Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:57am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Well, I use what the recipe calls for: If it calls for AP, then that's what I use...

Me too. Come to think of it...I don't use any recipes that require cake flour. Here is a picture that I remember seeing a long time ago. It may help you decide. I guess it didn't really affect me, huh? icon_lol.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=871023

thank you ! ad thanks for the pic that really helps get a visual on it, that makes a lot of sense when I actually see the difference side to side in the picture thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

CarrieBear Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:59am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

For my cakes I use cake flour. It is made with a softer wheat so it gives a softer crumb. Since I started using it my cakes are taller, lighter, and have a wonderful tight crumb.

There are directions for how much cake flour to use in place of all-purpose. I gave up on that many years ago and my cakes always come out beautifully. I just use the same amount of cake flour as I did all-purpose flour. This statement may start a fire storm, but it's what I do. What anyone else does is entirely up to them.

All-purpose flour can be used, but it's actually better for things like pie crusts and biscuits. It's not likely anyone will complain if you use all-purpose flour for your cakes. Sometimes it's a matter of economics rather than the size of the crumb of the cake.

HTH

Michele

Thanks Michele! that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%