Office Space Vs. Retail Space

Business By allibopp5 Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm by lorijom

allibopp5 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 3

After being unable to find a kitchen to rent, I've been doing research on the start-up costs of opening my own. What I'm wondering (and haven't been able to figure out yet) is whether or not you can rent any commercial space for a shop, or does it have to be retail space? What got me thinking of this is the show Amazing Wedding Cakes...the Cake Atelier (sp) is this space up a few flights of stairs in a building in NYC...more of a cake studio than a bakery. Obviously the kitchen/health dept regulations will still apply, I'm just trying to figure out if that is a feasible option.
Has anyone out there started out with "office space"...I can find that for a much lower price than retail space. I'm not even sure how to research this...I've been unsuccessful so far.

Any ideas?

2 replies
cylstrial Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 3

I don't really have any experience with this. But I would think that as long as you put all of the equipment in and got inspected, that you could do that.

Why don't you call a realtor and ask them what they think? And also call the health dept and ask them about it as well.

Good luck! And let us know what happens! I have had the same thought myself.

lorijom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 3

What you're going to find is that office space isn't plumbed for commercial kitchens and it may be difficult to add the proper plumbing. You've got to have prep sinks, hand sinks, mop sinks, a separate restroom, and don't forget the dishwashing station.

Plumbing seems like such a simple thing but in an office space they aren't prepared for that much water. In my area you're lucky to have a separate restroom in an office let alone all of that.

I've leased office space and retail space and there is a big difference. I'm not saying you can't do it, just preparing you for the biggest potential problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%