Cake Resume... Help!

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 6:10pm by CookieMeister

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 3

Okay... so we have our house on the market, we are searching for a new home, and in June my current job ends and I have to find something else. Right now, starting a cake business from home seems overwhelming so I'm searching for a "real job" in a bake shop.

NOW...

I sent photos and a short e-mail to several bakeries. I just got a response from one. They said

Thanks for your pictures and email Stacey. If you could forward a resume including any bakery work related history that would be great. Our business is growing and there may be a need for extra help.
Thanks Again,
xxxxx's Bakery

I have NO bakery experience and no bakery resume. My resume consists of administrative work, childcare, and graphic design. How do I do this? I'm a hobbyist that wants to decorate cakes for someone. I feel so inadequate when it comes to tackling this.

I'd be thrilled with any help or guidance you can give me. Thanks guys!!

-Stacey

2 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 3

So, I think you should be honest in saying that you have no current bakery experience, but you are experienced in areas that may be useful for their establishment.

administrative= helping out in other areas non-cake related, icon_smile.gif
childcare= knowing how to deal with bridezillas & other childlike people. If you can deal with kids you can deal with just about everyone. Your people skills are excellent icon_wink.gif
graphic design= you approach decorating a cake differently due to your graphic design knowledge, and may be able to extend their realm of what they offer currently icon_twisted.gif

Take your skills, and work with them, but be honest about not having "bakery experience".

Was the position for a "cake decorator/designer" or for "bakery help"? I would think there would be a big difference between the two.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 3

Well, Stacy, you're in luck - this Cakester is also a Human Resources Manager. icon_biggrin.gif

You want to do a functional resume - one that focuses on your skills rather than previous job experience. Start your resume with your objective, and then list your areas of expertise in a bullet format, such as:

Areas of Expertise:
Lacework
Gumpaste flowers
Modeling Clay figures

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Then list your relevant coursework:

Wilton Classes I, II, III, IV
Blah, blah, blah

And then for experience, list:

Your last 2 jobs or so. I'd include the graphic design - because there's a lot you can translate from that to cakes, ya know?

Insert more intelligent language in place of the blah, blah, blah, yadda yadda yadda. icon_biggrin.gif But gives you the idea on where to go

A good resume should only about 1 page, so don't freak out and think it's too short.

Feel free to PM me and I'm happy to help you out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%