Buttercream Roses..help Please.

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm by imamommy1205

CanadianCakin Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 14

Ok everyone please tell me there is a tick or tip I'm missing! I am new to this and I was practicing roses last night. My husband thought they were great but I don't know it just wasn't quite right!
To me it seems that on the finished rose the base is to wide. I'm thinking too that maybe I don't have quite the right consistency of bc because I do the base and when I'm starting the petals the base falls to the other side!
So what am I missing???? Please any tips would be greatly appreciated I'm getting frusterated that it's not perfect!!

Thanks so much,

13 replies
cakes22 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 14

Are you using a flower nail? Just asking cause when I made flowers on a FN they looked like cabbages. Then in my cake decorating class the instructor did hers on a wooden skewer. I tried that and it worked better. Still kinda cabbagey but not too bad.

Try fiddling with you icing consistancy. I know some who buy Wiltons White Decorator icing just for making flowers, cause it seems to be the right consistancy.

Good luck........ icon_smile.gif

Cupcakeluv24 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 14

Do you have a rose tip? I assume that's what your using? Try making the base smaller before piping the petals on.HTH

sweetideas Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 14

wilton has a how-to on their site. Without a picture, I'm not sure what you think you're doing wrong. My roses look like cabbages, and the bottoms are fat, so it would be good to know what I am doing wrong, too. icon_smile.gif Mine don't look like they are supposed to, either. icon_smile.gif

chas21 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 14

Just think of the base as a hershey kiss. That's what we used in class to practice with.

skeet1zp Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 14

Here's the Wilton video on making roses.

Justbeck101 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 14

measure your base Height, it should be 1 1/2 times the length of the opening of the rose tip. Try to thicken your icing just a little bit. It will be better once you learn to control your movements. Can you do apple blossoms? I found that after I learned how to do apple blossoms really well I could do roses much better because I understood the technique then. I have been making 1200 butter cream flowers over the last week. I didnt know how to make them when I started. Now they are beautiful. I did have to remake my first hundred! lol

BCJean Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 14

Try making your roses on a stick. I think you will find it a lot easier. You can just use a bamboo meat skewer (the larger of the two sizes). There are a lot of clips on youtube showing how to do it.

Have your icing cool, this will stiffen your icing without making it heavier like adding powdered sugar does. Put your bag, with the tip removed, in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.

Postal_Cakemaker Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 14

This is an awesome video on how to do buttercream roses.

iluvjay829 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #10 of 14

I use an actual hershey kiss as my center. My roses always fell over with icing centers. I have also heard you can make centers from fondant. Good luck...practice makes perfect!

pianocat Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 14

I use Hersheys kisses as a base. I believe the most important thing with roses is to make sure your bc is the right consistency. Also might want to open the small end of the tip just a tiny bit, it might help.

CookieMeister Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #12 of 14

To make my roses the right size, I use a flower nail and take a dime and put it on top - I draw a circle around the dime with a permanent marker. That is how big my base should be around. I then put the wax paper on top of that and make the rose. It gives me a nice consistent size every time.

I do like the hershey kiss tip, though. I might try that just to see how it works out. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:23pm
post #13 of 14
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Bunnies_Cakes

This is an awesome video on how to do buttercream roses.

That's exactly what I wanted to see - how someone does it with a stick. And wow, can she rocket through a reverse shell!

Thanks for sharing this one.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

imamommy1205 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #14 of 14

I am having the same problem as you are. They look ok, but not perfect ya know. You got some good tips on here. Just keep practicing! And that goes for me too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%