How To Make Poka Dots Out Of Bc

Decorating By cricket0616 Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 3:49am by CakeMommy3

cricket0616 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 19

I need help. I have to make a cake this weekend that was to be made out of fondant (pink and brown with poka dots). I thought I had a five pound bucket of satin ice, however it was an empty container. I have tried to find glycerin around my area, but I live in a small town and no one carries it or any fondant other than wilton. I am going to have to make this out of BC instead. Any tips on making flat and round poka dots from BC?

18 replies
cakes22 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 19

here's what I do (works for me, might not be the right way to do it)

I pipe my circle, fill in going back and forth in a zig-zag motion, then let it crust slightly. Then I dip my finger in cornstarch and smooth the icing until the lines are gone.

I'm sure there is an easier way, but that works for me.

hth

all4cake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 19

Just a thought...what about marshmallow fondant? No glycerin required...marshmallows, water, flavoring, shortening, powdered sugar...

cakefairy03 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 19

I do a combination of the 2 PP. I make a big mound of buttercream, then dip my finger in cornstarch and then flatten and smooth the dots. It's pretty and easy!

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

cakedoll Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket0616

I need help. I have to make a cake this weekend that was to be made out of fondant (pink and brown with poka dots). I thought I had a five pound bucket of , however it was an empty container. I have tried to find glycerin around my area, but I live in a small town and no one carries it or any fondant other than wilton. I am going to have to make this out of BC instead. Any tips on making flat and round poka dots from BC?

If you have a pharmacy in your area, they should have glycerin. I get mine there in a pinch and have had to ask the pharmacist for a bottle as it is not kept out in the open here. He said it is perfectly safe for fondant making.

cblupe Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 19

You can use the Wilton Fondant and add some candy oils in it if the taste of the Wilton fondant is your concern.

Good luck!

smitakasargod Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 19

ow abou FBCT? That would be flat.

cblupe Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 19

I forgot - you can also use Tootsie Rolls because they are actually fondant and they come in all colors. They are great when you need small amounts of color and you can find them at the Dollar Tree.

Again, good luck!

cakebaker1957 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:

I need help. I have to make a cake this weekend that was to be made out of fondant (pink and brown with poka dots). I thought I had a five pound bucket of , however it was an empty container. I have tried to find glycerin around my area, but I live in a small town and no one carries it or any fondant other than wilton. I am going to have to make this out of BC instead. Any tips on making flat and round poka dots from BC?

I use a round tip every how big you need them squeeze them on then let them crust go back and mash them down look at my pic the one thats hot pink and black #16 on top

sweetideas Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 19

RBC would work, too, if it's cold enough. Or any of the other methods. Easiest would be the tootsie rolls or airheads or any other rollable candy. MMF would be easy to make if you have marshmallows available in your area.

whitet4 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:58pm
post #12 of 19

I was wondering the same question only BIG dots. I am making this cake soon and they didn't want fondant. I guess the zigzag method would work on BIG dots too? ?? By the way does anyone know what color the blue is?
*I didn't make this cake**
LL

messy_chef Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 19

I don't even use cornstarch. I just pipe a dot and wait for it to slightly crust, then lightly tap down the peak.

AverageMom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm
post #14 of 19

I would just make a batch of MMF! No glycerin, it's yummy, and it's easy to use.

cricket0616 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm
post #15 of 19

Maybe I will try the MMF. I have never tried making any fondant, so I guess I can give it a whirl. I can find marshmallows in my town. (Some times I have to laugh. I grew up in the New Orleans area, lived in large towns like SF and Jacksonville, FL) and now my husband moves me to a town with a population of 710. I can't find anything) Thanks for the ideas.

CakeMommy3 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:25pm
post #16 of 19

Hey, just wanted to add that I get my glycerin at wal mart! They have it in the same aisle that has the neosporin. It is the exact same thing that is sold for more money at the cake supply store. I think it is like 4 bucks for 8 oz at wally world. HTH and good luck!

cricket0616 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #17 of 19

I saw that, but was worried it would make someone ill. I had read before that there were two types and I assumed that the one in the pharmacy area would not be it. Since I keep getting the same answer, I am assume it will be fine. I guess back to the store I go. Either that or I am going to try MMF. I have the marshmallows here.

sweetjan Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 7:03pm
post #18 of 19

Michael's has it in the cake decorating section, right beside the vanilla and the colors. A pretty good size bottle for a little over $2.00

CakeMommy3 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:49am
post #19 of 19
Quote:

I saw that, but was worried it would make someone ill. I had read before that there were two types and I assumed that the one in the pharmacy area would not be it. Since I keep getting the same answer, I am assume it will be fine. I guess back to the store I go. Either that or I am going to try MMF. I have the marshmallows here.

You have to have a special license to buy the other kind of glycerin. I hear it has a foul odor, and you would definitely know you had the wrong one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%