Did I Price Too High??

Business By amberlee416 Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 9:30pm by leah_s

amberlee416 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 8

Ok i posted on craigslist for my cakes, next day i get a lady asking about a birthday cake for her boss, she wanted ideas and prices. She also said she wanted an "oh crap" cake and yes she meant literal. So i found a few pictures of cakes and sent them to her, i told her that i did not make those cakes, but that we would start with that for ideas. One was a 9x13 with a tp roll on top with some poo, i told her 60 for that one. The other pic was a carved 3d mound of poo, i told her 75 but if she wanted that i could make a smaller version and add it to a 9x13 and then i would charge 60. She never e-mailed me back, so i gave it a few days and e-mailed her and said that i just wanted to follow up and see if she liked the ideas. She e-mails me this "The ideas were great, but my boss wasn't too impressed with the prices...." I did e-mail her again to say that if she could let me know how much her price range is that i could work with her budget and come up with something, but i've gotten nothing back. So was this too much? I'm a little hesitant to charge as much anyways, but i have heard from many ccer's that its better to go with higher rather than raise prices later, and that a good quality specially made for you cake will cost more. I also had a lady asking for prices on a wedding cake and i quoted her at 2.00 a serving, and told her that depending on how much detail she wanted the price could be higher, and no e-mail back on that one at all, not even after i sent a follow up e-mail. What do you guys think? Are my prices too high?

7 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 8

So hard to give you advice on pricing. Depends on area, the quality of work you produce, etc., etc. Personally, I wouldn't price a wedding cake for less than $3.50 a serving, and that would be a very simple cake.

leah_s Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 8

I just don't think that the people looking for a cake on CL are the same demographic that regularly buys custom cakes.

amberlee416 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I just don't think that the people looking for a cake on CL are the same demographic that regularly buys custom cakes.

Good point i didnt really think of it that way, i just started trying to advertise and thought hey thats free, i guess thats what i probably should have expected. It just sucks because i was so excited that i got two possible orders in one day of advertising on CL. Oh well i guess ya win some ya lose some.

costumeczar Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 8

Leahs is right, Craigslist is where the bargain shoppers tend to go. The woman you spoke to was probably looking for an $18 Costco cake, and that's probably what they'll end up with.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Yeah....something about CL creeps me out period.

costumeczar Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Yeah....something about CL creeps me out period.

I'm with you on that. It's always seemed kind of skeevy to me for some reason.

leah_s Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 8

CL is free.
Free does not always = good idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%