Butterfly Patchwork Cutters

Decorating By courtney1009 Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm by courtney1009

courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone used them? Are they easy? Do you like them?

9 replies
courtney1009 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 10

or even patchwork cutters in general?

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 10

I love Patchwork cutters. I have the bugs and butterflies one (I probably have at least half of all of the Patchwork Cutters made icon_redface.gif ). This video is from our very own Tonedna and will give you the basic information even though she uses a different brand for the lettering. Patchwork Cutters recommends use of a bit of shortening on the board beneath your gumpaste (i do not have good results with fondant or other soft paste) and a wee little bit of shortening on the face of the cutter. Also, roll very thin and allow to dry just a bit on the surface - thick paste will always stick in the cutter. Check out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfuxL2PqoVA&feature=related
I keep a stash of "cured" Patchwork butterflies ready to use on last-minute cakes.

courtney1009 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 10

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much. The tutorial was great. I think I'm going to get them. They've been staring me down in my catalogue for a while now, but I was afraid I'd get them and not like them. I have been stuck in a cake decorating rut and I want to try some new things. My SIL asked me to do a cake for her and she said I could do whatever I wanted. I think this will be perfect. Thanks a lot!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 10

The video is on tappits, which are different from patchwork cutters.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 10

I love Patchwork cutters & have a lot of them, Marion Frost says you should use them with Mexican Paste but I use gumpaste & do not have any problems.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #7 of 10

I have several patchwork cutters too. I like using them. Last Sept, I had a birthday dinner for my family to celebrate all the birthdays -8 between middle of Aug to first of Oct. I made each birthday person -8 their own cakes. I used the patchwork cutters for several of them. I made the patchwork cutouts ahead of time to help me save time making that many cakes. I use gum paste and they dry hard and are pretty easy to do. There are several patchwork cakes in my pics.

courtney1009 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:06pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the help guys. I have a stupid question. What do you do if you want the figure to be different colors but it's all one cutter?

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 10

Paint with either dry dusts (more difficult for small areas) or make a liquid with luster or petal dust and clear alcohol - or even food markers. The cutters give a lot of details that can be painted.

courtney1009 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks. That was what I assumed, but I wasn't sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%