Butterfly Patchwork Cutters

Decorating By courtney1009 Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm by courtney1009

courtney1009 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone used them? Are they easy? Do you like them?

9 replies
courtney1009 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 10

or even patchwork cutters in general?

ibmoser Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 10

I love Patchwork cutters. I have the bugs and butterflies one (I probably have at least half of all of the Patchwork Cutters made icon_redface.gif ). This video is from our very own Tonedna and will give you the basic information even though she uses a different brand for the lettering. Patchwork Cutters recommends use of a bit of shortening on the board beneath your gumpaste (i do not have good results with fondant or other soft paste) and a wee little bit of shortening on the face of the cutter. Also, roll very thin and allow to dry just a bit on the surface - thick paste will always stick in the cutter. Check out
I keep a stash of "cured" Patchwork butterflies ready to use on last-minute cakes.

courtney1009 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 10

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much. The tutorial was great. I think I'm going to get them. They've been staring me down in my catalogue for a while now, but I was afraid I'd get them and not like them. I have been stuck in a cake decorating rut and I want to try some new things. My SIL asked me to do a cake for her and she said I could do whatever I wanted. I think this will be perfect. Thanks a lot!

tiggy2 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 10

The video is on tappits, which are different from patchwork cutters.

superstar Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 10

I love Patchwork cutters & have a lot of them, Marion Frost says you should use them with Mexican Paste but I use gumpaste & do not have any problems.

luv_to_decorate Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #7 of 10

I have several patchwork cutters too. I like using them. Last Sept, I had a birthday dinner for my family to celebrate all the birthdays -8 between middle of Aug to first of Oct. I made each birthday person -8 their own cakes. I used the patchwork cutters for several of them. I made the patchwork cutouts ahead of time to help me save time making that many cakes. I use gum paste and they dry hard and are pretty easy to do. There are several patchwork cakes in my pics.

courtney1009 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:06pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the help guys. I have a stupid question. What do you do if you want the figure to be different colors but it's all one cutter?

ibmoser Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 10

Paint with either dry dusts (more difficult for small areas) or make a liquid with luster or petal dust and clear alcohol - or even food markers. The cutters give a lot of details that can be painted.

courtney1009 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks. That was what I assumed, but I wasn't sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%