Michelle Foster's Fondant ?

Decorating By yellobutterfly Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm by ninatat

yellobutterfly Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make this today, and plan to use it for a cake tomorrow. (I've never made this recipe before). For those pros who make this all the time, can anyone suggest which version is better? (the "delicious" version, or the "updated")?

Tell me your best tips and tricks for this recipe! I read somewhere that some people mix this with candy clay - does that yield better results? Can someone post the link or recipe to the candy clay that works best with her fondant? Also, I've never made candy clay - can I use great value white chocolate chips or white chocolate almond bark? (I have both of these on hand, so it would save a trip to the store, but I don't want to do it if it won't work).

Also, The cake I'm making is 6in, 9in, 12 in and also fondant covering a 16in base board...how many recipes of the MFF will I need? (And if I add the candy clay, will it go farther? If so, how many will I need if candy clay is added?).

Any help is appreciated, sorry for rambling!

6 replies
cakeandpartygirl Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 7

I just have to say MFF is wonderful!!!! Now with that there has been a few problems with the updated version that is supposed to have been fixed. the original version calls for milk and the updated one calls for cream. I guess I use a combination of the both recipes. I follow the ingredient list on the original except I use cream. But I follow the directions on the updated one. It is a little easier using the microwave instead of a double boiler. I also noticed that the times on the updated one is a little long for my microwave so I had to cut the time in half or else it would take way too long to cool to room temp. Her website has some FAQ'S.

Now for the amount of fondant it makes for me enough to cover a 6, 8, and 10 in round with some left over. You might need to make 2 recipes but I am not sure because I have never covered a board with it.

In the updated fondant recipe she also gives some suggestions for making it white chocolate or just chocolate and the adjustments needed as well.

As soon as I find the link to her website I will post it.

HTH

sweet_teeth Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 7

I dont know which one is the correct one name wise, but I did see a post where Michele stated that she uploaded a recipe w/ the wrong amounts, stating that 'she often 1.5x's it and she got the numbers mixed up. That being said.. The correct one should have measurements of 2tbls, opposed to the wrong one w/ 3.

Andd.. To add.. I have a question for ppl that use it regularly as well. I made it for the first time and it was way overly soft (even after sitting for a few days). I added 4lbs powdered sugar so I thought by then it would have firmed up. Any tips? Suggestions? I ended up adding it to Wilton Fondant and that produced a wonderful result.. But I rather figure out how to make it correctly icon_smile.gif

Maybe I added the liquid when it wasn't 'luke warm' and still on the warmer side? Hmm not sure.

Thanks!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 7

Here is a link in which she answers some questions
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625727-.html

Here is the website with FAQ's
http://www.thesugarfixtoo.com/fondant.html

HTH

cricket0616 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks to all. I was going to have to look for the thread that was posted last week on this. I have to make fondant as well this weekend for the first time. I have used Satin Ice for years, but have moved and the only stores around me sell Wilton ...can you say yuck. Can anyone give me opinions between the two MMF and Satin Ice. Do they taste much different, is the consistency different? I am assuming that making the fondant is cheaper.

Sugarflowers Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 7

Here is the link to the correct recipe: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7446-1-Michele-Fosters-Fondant.html

There are also some variations and suggestions for possible problems at the bottom of the recipe. Please read the whole thing before starting so that problems can be avoided or repaired.

HTH

Michele

ninatat Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 7

hi all, i love mm fondant, and it's so inexpensive, i bag of minature marshmallows, i bag on con sugar, and one teaspoon of water for the marshmallows, 30 sec in micro, 30 sec until smooth and grease you work area and your hands, and when mixing, before you put it away crisco on the outside. i've probably made 25 batches and have never had a problem with it. if you're making bow's flowers ect. you can add some gumpaste to in to dry faster.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%