Cake Virgin...help!

Decorating By Cookie-Queen Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm by Narie

Cookie-Queen Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 12

Hi, I'm a total newbie to cakes. I made one for my daughter's 1st birthday with yellow cake mix and wilton fondant. It was a little cute but it tasted horrrriibbllee. I pretty much gave up after her 2nd birthday. I made a tall cake which was wayyy too tall and literally fell over the table (ouch!) Since then it has been store-bought cakes. She's going to be 8 this year and I've decided to try again!

I need a fool-proof recipe, please! The theme is pink pirates. Lots of hot pink, black and little skulls with bows (lol). I'm making cookies to decorate the cake but my biggest concern is the taste of the cake & frosting. She loves chocolate and strawberry flavors. It's only going to be a 10" round for the bottom and maybe a 6" round for the top. I have no clue how many servings that is but I figure any left overs will be consumed icon_smile.gif

Thank you all so much in advance!!

11 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 12

As you will soon read, Wilton fondant is about the worst tasting fondant available. There are many other brands that taste much better or you can make your own. Here is my recipe (it has extra information at the bottom): http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7446-1-Michele-Fosters-Fondant.html

However, since it has been a while, it's my suggestion to skip the fondant completely. It's a lot of work and takes a lot of practice to make it look nice. Covering a 10" cake is not as easy as it sounds, even with good fondant.

I'm a scratch baker so I couldn't tell you which brand to use if you prefer to use mixes. I know there are some good ones available, I just don't know which one. Many people "doctor" up a cake mix to add flavor variations and extend the amount of batter. Maybe someone else here will be able to answer those questions for you.

Good luck with your daughter's cake.

HTH

Michele

Cookie-Queen Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 12

So you would suggest a buttercream frosting instead of the fondant? I agree that the fondant is much more difficult to work with. I would like to make the cake from scratch since I have a feeling that it will taste a lot better this way.

Thanks so much!

Sugarflowers Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 12

Yeah, skip the fondant. Most people just peel it off anyway.

Are you new to scratch baking or is this what you normally do? Either way there are some good recipes on this site and are rated.

HTH

Michele

chellescountrycakes Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 12

Honestly, I buy white cake mix. and I make sure it says MOIST on it. or 'with pudding n the mix'. I have had people BEG me for my recipe. I kid you not. I only make my peanut butter cake from scratch, and I never have given someone cake that they didnt tell me how much they LOVED it. and how it lasts so long and is moist for days.

I have been told recently that if you take a cake mix, and then put in a tub of the buttercream icing while you are mixng it up, it tastes really good. But, the lady who told me this, said "I heard about doing this and it almost tastes as good as your cakes do".... ??? I just use a box mix. LOL

I do make my own buttercream frosting. and color it with wilton (all thats avalible to me here in my town) colors. I have been very pleased with them.

I have never tried fondant, I have heard that it tastes bad, and noone likes it. so I just play with the icing icon_smile.gif

Of course, I dont usually do chocolate (I will make a choco cake if someone asks), and stay away from chocolate icing.

CarrieBear Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie-Queen

Hi, I'm a total newbie to cakes. I made one for my daughter's 1st birthday with yellow cake mix and wilton fondant. It was a little cute but it tasted horrrriibbllee. I pretty much gave up after her 2nd birthday. I made a tall cake which was wayyy too tall and literally fell over the table (ouch!) Since then it has been store-bought cakes. She's going to be 8 this year and I've decided to try again!

I need a fool-proof recipe, please! The theme is pink pirates. Lots of hot pink, black and little skulls with bows (lol). I'm making cookies to decorate the cake but my biggest concern is the taste of the cake & frosting. She loves chocolate and strawberry flavors. It's only going to be a 10" round for the bottom and maybe a 6" round for the top. I have no clue how many servings that is but I figure any left overs will be consumed icon_smile.gif

Thank you all so much in advance!!

Hi,
I am no pro but I am learning too. I can tell you what I know.
I can tell you that as other people have said, Wilton fondant is horrible for eating!!! it is wonderful to work with if you are making figurines and such for cakes, but dont eat it. Icky!
Also as some one else said, for a childrens birthday party, I might stay away from fondant. Its not a popular choice for children. They might just pull it off and not eat it. It looks great though. Not ALL fondant tastes horrible though either, it has a bad reputation but if you make the right recipe or buy the right brand it doesnt have to be inedible, I do have a recipe for Marshmellow Fondant (MMF) this isnt bad. So if you are set on Fondant I can dig that up. Just PM/Personal Message me if questions on the fondant incase I loose this thread posting. or stop following it.
also as far as cake recipes go, there are a lot of people that rave about the WASC recipe, you can find that recipe on this site under recipes or I can message it to you. People use that as the base, and then start substiuting ingredients to make different flavor cakes. Its a recipe that is 1/2 store bought 1/2 home made.
good luck! thumbs_up.gif

CarrieBear Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 12

oh... forgot also.. if you start stacking cakes and they become tall or akward, and your worried about them falling over, use dowel rods for support, you can wood or plastic ones and that may help...

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:43am
post #8 of 12

Hi and please go easy on yourself. I started my business to help moms do the cakes for thier kids. IMO if you are not someone who has great luck with baking I would stick to a mix. I think scratch cakes could leave you room for errors especially if you are nervous about the task. Most mixes are pretty much fool proof. I find that people rave more aobut the icing then the cake. Most are expecting a whipped shortening icing like they would get in a grocery store. SO, take the time to make a really yummy buttercream then have some fun making fondnat accents for the cake. I guarantee the kids will peel off and eat even if it is Wiltons fondant. Since yhour daughter is a bit older why not let her help in the creation? If you take your time and go one step at a time I know you will have a sucess. Let us know how it turns out.

xstitcher Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:20am
post #9 of 12

I like using the WASC recipe, I have made many different flavours of cake (strawberry, vanilla, lemon, chocolate.....and use different extracts all the time:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_rate-7445-5.html

I think your 1st cake probably didn't taste great because of the Wilton fondant. I've only used it once and my whole family peeled it off and at the cake with the frosting that was on underneath.

For your second cake did you use any supports? You should support your cake every 4" or so just for this reason.

Here a quick tutorial showing how to support/stack your cake:
http://cakecentral.com/article23-Teired-Stacked-Cake-Construction.html

Oh and I can 2nd Michele Foster's Fondant. It's very yummy! icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:41pm
post #10 of 12

Don't give up. YOu will do fine =]

The original WASC Recipe is great! I would love to try Michelles fondant but I am to lazy to make it. I currently use Satin Ice but thinking of switching to Jennifer Dontz premade fondant recipe

Cookie-Queen Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #11 of 12

You guys make a lot of sense! I'm glad I asked the pro's!

So I was talking to my sis and I just found out she's put me in charge of making her daughter's 1st birthday cake w/ Dora theme (gulp) Apparently she doesn't remember my own daughters 1st birthday cake fiasco...I'm even more determined to make something good. Thank you for all your support and advice. I know its going to help me sooo much! icon_smile.gif

Chelle: thanks! Mixing in the buttercream sounds like a weird but great idea. I'll have to try it!

Beeboo: I think I will make buttercream for the cake since kids do seem to enjoy it a lot more than fondant.

CarrieBear: I was looking at other threads about the WASC recipe and it seems really great! LOL. Thanks for the heads up about the rods...yes her 2nd bday cake was almost 7"...so embarrasing icon_redface.gif

Sugarflowers: I do bake every day but only cookies. I also make pies, tarts and souffles, etc. But for some reason I seem to make terrible cupcakes, cakes, brownies, etc. OH...I won't even get started on the cupcakes.... Last time I made them the kids couldn't even bite into them because they were so dry (like chocolate-chip baseballs) and just licked the frosting off.

OK. So now to find a great buttercream recipe or try Michelles Fondant. I'm leaning towards buttercream because it seems easier/faster.

I'll try a moist box mix, the buttercream box mix and the WASC recipe the week before Mom's Day because I have a crazy week ahead of me (more than 1,000 cookies) icon_cry.gif but I'm looking forward to tasting everything icon_biggrin.gif

Oh and I'll definitely post pics and let you know how they turn out!! Actually...I might come back and ask a few more questions once the baking starts.. Thank you again!

Narie Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #12 of 12

The following recipes are outstanding.

Debi"s Buttercream http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html or
Earlene's Cream Cheese Buttercream Icing http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

For the chocolate cake http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2163-0-Darn-Good-Chocolate-Cake.html

For a Strawberry Cake Scroll down on this page http://www.earlenescakes.com/recipes.htm

One thought on your problems with cupcakes, cakes and brownies. Check your oven temp. and take great care not to over bake.

If you make a 10 inch, use a flower nail or heating core while baking. Also use some type of support system when stacking your 6 inch cake on the 10 inch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%