Tie Dyed Fondant

Decorating By meharding Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm by meharding

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, I attempted to "tie dye" fondant for a cake. It turned out looking more like camo...lol. I just took three different colored lumps of fondant, kneeded them together a little and then rolled it out. Can anyone tell me how to get the tie dyed look I was going for instead of camo? Picture is posted to my pictures. It is the cake with the dog on top. Thank you.

2 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 3

meharding, I actually like the look of yours!
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but if you look in my photos at the laptop cake...
I got this effect by taking a white 'log', 2 electric purple logs, and 2 electric blue logs. The white log was thickest in diameter. I placed the purple ones on opposite side of the white one, and the blue ones on the opposite-opposite sides (if that makes sense). Then I rolled the whoe thing into a single melded log. I lep folding it back on itself and doing it over and over. I also twisted it and rolled it back to the log. They key was to keep it going the same direction the entire time.

Once the colors looked good, I took the log, layed it on the counter, and twirled it into a pinwheel, or jellyroll, circle. I rolled it out at that point and it looked great. The top of my cake has a swirll and the side looks like waves.
HTH!

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks chilz822. Yes your laptop cake was the look I wanted icon_biggrin.gif . I will try your method next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%