Anyone Here Use Quickbooks & Is A Home Baker?

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm by CakeForte

mom2spunkynbug Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:08am
post #1 of 10

If so, would you mind me asking a few questions every now & then?

I've also found the online forums for QB, but I don't know how long it'll take for my questions to be answered on there.

I feel like I'm in over my head here! I thought QB would be simple - I used it everyday when I used to work full time outside the home (but that was like four years ago). And I can't even get past the "interview" part of the beginning!

I feel like I need an accountant, but I do not have that kind of money yet!

icon_cry.gif

9 replies
-Tubbs Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 10

I'm by no means an expert, but I've also used QB outside of caking, and plan to phase it in as my home-based business builds. I was planning on buying it, but Simple Start is available for free, so I'm thinking of just using that to start with - I think you can upgrade quite easily to 'higher' versions if you need more functionality.

Regarding professional advice - I think a bookkeeper would be a good starting point, if you can't afford an accountant. You could consider advertising and offering some kind of barter service. I want a website built and was thinking of trying something like that.

something_sweet Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 10

I use Microsoft Accounting Express. It is free and easy to use. I have never worked with Quick Books, but I have worked with Peach Tree, and it had to be set up by an accountant first. I am sorry that you are have trouble with it.

Here is the link for MS Acct Express: http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Office-Accounting-Express/3000-2066_4-10599757.html

pinkflower1212 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 10

I use QB 2007 Contractor at my full time job and QB 2009 Premier at home for personal. I don't do retail (Okie Law) but I can use my QB for that too when the time comes. I love QB, it makes my finances so much easier. Love the fact that I don't have to "write out" checks anymore. icon_lol.gif

smoore Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 10

The QB interview while setting up your business is the hardest part in the proces of using the software! When in doubt, click next and skip the question, you can always go back into your company profile and edit all that information later. I LOVE QB and use it for all of the companies I work for and would quit my "real job" if we ever went back to what we were using.

springlakecake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 10

I just started my business and my DH talked me into trying it. He did all the setting up for me though. I havent used it a lot yet (because I havent had that many orders yet! LOL) but I am getting the hang of it. I wanted to get "cake boss" but like I said, DH talked me into trying it out. (sorry kellym!) Who knows, I will see how it goes. So far so good.

muffyk Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 10

I use QB Contractor 2009. One of the most important things to get "right" is the chart of accounts. Once you have everything entered, most of the work is done for you. There is a feature called "Accountants Copy". If your accountant also uses QB you can burn a disk for him/her and they can make adjustments, general entries etc. and when they give the copy back to you, QB can enter all of the changes they made. You can do this quarterly or yearly or whenever you need. QB initially is more time consuming than difficult, but once you get started it is pretty simple. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

Bethkay Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 10

I use the free QuickBooks Simple Start program, and have had good luck with it. It does take a little time to learn it, and sometimes it seems like it could be more user-friendly. But now that I understand it, I am very happy with it.

I had never used an accounting program of any kind before I started this business, so maybe I am a bit slow in that department!

wcarrick Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 10

I am using the quickbooks free edition and it seems to be pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I just have one question to other qb users - how do you use the customer section for your orders. just looking for someother ideas on how you use it. Thanks.

CakeForte Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #10 of 10

i use the quick books simple start. It wasn't free when I started using it. I think it's very easy to use, but that could also depend on how comfortable you are with computers and new technologies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%