Removing Mints From The Mold..............

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 18 Feb 2014 , 3:37pm by GrannyMel

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 16

I am making mints for a baby shower cake and I cannot, for the life of me, get the things out of the mold. Has anyone had this problem? If so, what did you do?

stephanie

15 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:38am
post #2 of 16

Put the mold in the freezer for about 10 mins, then take it out and turn it upside down over a tray and whack it on the tray! BAP! They should pop right out. You can twist the mold a little, too, to get any stubborn ones to fall out.

tannersmom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:01am
post #3 of 16

It's just not working. I'm using a clear plastic baby bottle mold. Do I put extra mint in the mold or just enough to fill the mold. I put just enough. It's not right???????

Stephanie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:21am
post #4 of 16

are these white chocolate mints in the clear plastic molds? Are they a cream cheese mint in a flexible mold? Are they something totally different?

If it's the simple white chocolate in the clear plastic, I put mine in the freezer for about 10 minutes and as mentioned above, a good whack on the counter and they pop right out. If they are not solid enough, they won't pop out ... put them back in the freezer for a minute or two. You can also do a slight twist motion, like when popping ice cubes from a plastic ice cube tray (if anyone on here is old enough to remember ice cube trays!)

tannersmom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:19am
post #5 of 16

The mold is one of those clear ones. I'm using a cream cheese mint. I've used extra powder sugar and even granulated sugar. I did manage to get 18. Not the prettiest. I need 50. I'm gonna keep trying. Add more sugar.
Thanks you guys,
Stephanie

P.S.
I still have some ice trays. LOL I hated refilling those things.

ttb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttb Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:46am
post #6 of 16

What is your receipe for white chocolate mints?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:46am
post #7 of 16

I think your problem is that the cream cheese mints work better with the silicon molds. The plastic will not "release" the cream cheese. I don't think more powdered sugar in this instance will help.

Beth in KY

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:24am
post #8 of 16

The gray rubber flexible molds definitely work best for cream cheese "mints." Not sure if this will help with the clear molds but is worth a try. Take a hunk of the dough and roll into a log, thinner than a hot dog but about the same length. Pinch it into chunks to be about the size of each baby bottle, dropping the chunks into a bowl of granulated sugar. Toss the dough chunks in the sugar to coat them, then place in the mold, use your finger to press it in and remove the extra so they are flush with the top. Then make another log, etc. The sugar on the outside may help them pop out. In addition you could sprinkle a little granulated suger in all the cavities before you put in the dough. Also try refrigerating. Next time try a gray Voorhees flexible mold, it will be much easier.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:21pm
post #9 of 16

Beth is right ... you're using the wrong mold.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 16

okay, i would like to make some of these too, but where would I get the gray silicone molds fairly reasonably priced? do tell anyone.... icon_smile.gif

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

are these white chocolate mints in the clear plastic molds? Are they a cream cheese mint in a flexible mold? Are they something totally different?

If it's the simple white chocolate in the clear plastic, I put mine in the freezer for about 10 minutes and as mentioned above, a good whack on the counter and they pop right out. If they are not solid enough, they won't pop out ... put them back in the freezer for a minute or two. You can also do a slight twist motion, like when popping ice cubes from a plastic ice cube tray (if anyone on here is old enough to remember ice cube trays!)

What are you talking about?! I still use ice cube trays!!! icon_redface.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:15pm
post #12 of 16

Shoot, my mother still has some of the old metal ice cube trays with the handle you had to pull to release the cubes!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm
post #13 of 16

I have three sources for the good gray molds that last forever. The manufacturer is www.voorheesrubber.com in MD and they have over a thousand molds. They sell the sheets of molds that have about 20 cavities in each sheet that you can cut apart if you want. They have several sheets with a variety of cavities on one sheet which would be great for someone starting out to get a good selection at one time. The owner is friendly and helpful on the phone. www.idealweddingandevents.com (605)362-0223 is a wedding supply store in Sioux Falls, SD. They have about 65 different Voorhees molds (and also carry a great selection of different brands of coloring and flavoring including creme bouquet). They sell the individual cavities for $1.29 each and will ship. A woman in NC carries 98 Voorhees molds. Her email is [email protected] (704)932-6009. Contact her and she will send you a sheet listing the molds with a picture, prices and order sheet. Most are $1.50 and shipping is $1.75 for up to 6 molds. Lately I have made supcakes with a simple 1M or 2D buttercream swirl and a creme bouquet flavored "mint" on top for a super easy decoration.

tannersmom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm
post #14 of 16

You guys are the bomb. Thanks. i'm gonna try the granulated sugar again tonight. Pray for me! Oh, and I'm gonna try those silicone molds.

Stephanie

dxerebl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dxerebl Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:16am
post #15 of 16

Just another thought.......

you could make your own silicon mold icon_lol.gif

There is a new product out there available at Michael's called Amazing Mold Putty. I've bought some, but have yet to use it. It is suppose to be food grade putty. If you google it you'll find a few videos on you tube for it as well as their main website. It looks really promising icon_smile.gif Initially I bought it for fondant but I've also had the same problem you're having the cream cheese mints (I would up rolling them into balls, then flattening them into disks while pressing them onto a cookie press that had a snowflake image - worked well in the end, but not the mold I had wanted)

Again, I can't totally testify that it's a great product, but I've already got a head full of ideas for it's use in "caking". If your Michael's doesn't carry it, speak to the mgr. (I had to), or you can order it online. At the store it's $20.00, but wait for a 50% coupon and it's only $10 icon_wink.gif

GrannyMel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannyMel Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 3:34pm
post #16 of 16

AI came across this info a number of times while preparing for a baby shower for my daughter-in-law. I had already ordered plastic molds to make cream cheese mints in baby shapes. After reading this, I ordered silicone molds just in case the plastic didn't work. However, THE PLASTIC MOLDS WORKED WONDERFULLY FOR CREAM CHEESE MINTS! They were actually much easier to release than the silicone/rubber molds that arrived.

Here are a couple tips that I found useful and the recipe I used... 8 oz Cream Cheese (softened to room temp) 2 lb. Powdered sugar (8 cups) 1/2 tsp. Mint Extract (can use other flavors) Food Coloring for desired color Granulated sugar to roll portions in (approximately 1/4 cup in a small bowl) Non-stick Spray Cooking Oil Use a mixer to mix the cream cheese to a creamy texture. Add flavoring extract and food coloring and mix to blend to a smooth texture. Add approximately one cup of powdered sugar at a time, mixing on low speed at first and increasing speed as more powdered sugar is added, making the mixture thicker with each addition. When about half the powdered sugar has been added, the mixer will be working harder, this is the point to put the mixer away, clean your hands, and add the remaining powdered sugar and mix by hand (squishy!). As you work the powdered sugar in and it becomes thick, fold the dough and press down with your knuckles, as you would with mixing bread dough. The consistency of the finished mint blend should easily roll into small balls without sticking to your hands. Prepare your plastic (or silicone/rubber) molds by spraying lightly with cooking oil spray and then using a paper towel to wipe the excess oil out of molds. Or, spray the paper towel to moisten it and then rub it in your molds. You just want a film of the oil, you do not want visible oil drops. This will help to release your mints from the mold. Keep the oil-moistened paper towel handy to re-rub the mold occasionally when reusing a mold numerous times. If the mints begin sticking (not releasing), re-rub. Since this takes time and I don't want the cream cheese mixture to dry out, I separate the cream cheese mix, placing 3/4 of it in a separate bowl and covering it with a lid or aluminum foil to keep it moist while I make mints with the first 1/4. Take a small amount of cream cheese mixture and squish it tight with your hand, then roll it between your hands to a shape similar to your mold size. Roll it in the granulated sugar, place it in your mold, and press down, pushing it into you mold. Gently press it so all edges are inside the mold shape (not hanging over the edge of the mold shape) and even with the top. It may take a couple mints to figure out how much is needed for the mold. When done, turn the mold upside down and tap it gently against a surface (I use the side of my hand, placing it so the mold will fall into my palm) so the mint falls out of the plastic mold. It may take a few taps. As you repeatedly use the mold, you may need to re-rub the mold with oil occasionally if it is not releasing. NOTE: NOT HOW TO RELEASE SILICONE/RUBBER MOLDS. Instructions are for plastic molds.

Hope this helps others! My cream cheese mints work so adorable and easy to make!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%