Best Rolling Pin For Fondant

Decorating By stephbakes Updated 20 Feb 2013 , 2:18am by stephggnoco

stephbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephbakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 40

I've been tolerating my 20" Wilton rolling pin for waaaay too long now. I can't stand the thought of rolling that greasy thing for one more cake.

What's your very favorite rolling pin, preferably with handles?

39 replies
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 40

I'm looking to replace mine as well ... good thing I came across this thread. Would love to find a good aluminum pin, affordable too!

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 40

I'd also like to know about a good rolling pin for fondant...

Melissa2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa2000 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:27am
post #4 of 40

Where I took my class at, the lady used a wooden one.. I tried that I didn't like it.. So I buy the wilton one with the rings on it to measure how thick the fondant is suppose to be.. I like that one alot.

stephbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephbakes Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:33am
post #5 of 40

Someone...anyone?! There are so many veterans on here! What are you using to roll you fondant?

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:35am
post #6 of 40

A couple of years ago I took the Wilton classes and they were just setting the stuff out for fondant at my store. Well someone in my class had just purchased the rolling pin and I hated it. Well I shopped around and I came up with the BEST rolling pin ever and all I paid was $2.00. I went to Home Depo and bought a 2 foot piece of PVC piping. came home washed it very well and took it with me to the next class. Everyone had gone out and bought the Wilton one and everyone hated it just like I did. In the end everyone is class was borowing my rolling pin because it was so smooth and it worked wonderful. Best investment I ever made, lol. thumbs_up.gif

Hope it helps.

Bea

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:57am
post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Mooma

A couple of years ago I took the Wilton classes and they were just setting the stuff out for fondant at my store. Well someone in my class had just purchased the rolling pin and I hated it. Well I shopped around and I came up with the BEST rolling pin ever and all I paid was $2.00. I went to Home Depo and bought a 2 foot piece of PVC piping. came home washed it very well and took it with me to the next class. Everyone had gone out and bought the Wilton one and everyone hated it just like I did. In the end everyone is class was borowing my rolling pin because it was so smooth and it worked wonderful. Best investment I ever made, lol. thumbs_up.gif

Hope it helps.

Bea

Great idea!!! What diameter pipe did you buy? 1 1/2"?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:57am
post #8 of 40

I have one of these
http://www.everten.com.au/product/sil-pin-basic-rolling-pin-green.html

Glides so smoothly - and because of the *roller handles* you don't get achey arms when rolling alot of Fondant etc.

By using a non stick mat and this rolling pin - i never have to use flour.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:26am
post #9 of 40
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:50am
post #10 of 40

I have a Sil-pin too. It's great. I still use the small Wilton rolling pin for small things, though.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 7:23am
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

the bomb diggity of rolling pins:

http://www.instawares.com/jr3638-aluminum-rolling-pin-18.jr3638.0.7.htm

This is on my cake decorating supply list of next thing to buy! Last time I used my wilton fondant roller I pinched a vein in my wrist and busted! It was very painful! I can't wait to purchase this one! Thanks for sharing!

Chippi

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:04am
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippi

Quote:

This is on my cake decorating supply list of next thing to buy! Last time I used my wilton fondant roller I pinched a vein in my wrist and busted! It was very painful! icon_surprised.gif oh my goodness - that sounds agonising.
Do hope you are alright now. Bh.
I can't wait to purchase this one! Thanks for sharing!
Chippi

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:52am
post #13 of 40

Yea I'm fine still sore though. After doing it with that willton fondant roller i used my regular rolling pin. icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:37am
post #14 of 40

I've seen this huge stainless steel rolling pin at costco a while back. It's about $25 i believe. I felt like I should have gotten it instead of this wilton one.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:06pm
post #15 of 40

Marble with handles. I think the weight helps to roll out the fondant with ease. I don't "work" when I roll out my chocolate fondant.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:22pm
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_m_mena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Mooma

Hope it helps.

Bea

Great idea!!! What diameter pipe did you buy? 1 1/2"?

I have the 1 1/2" x 2' and it works great. I also have the marble one, but it's to short at times so I can roll out enough to cover a cake. And I have a wooden one but I still use my PVC one. I find it to be the best one I have used so far. JMHO.

Bea

SugarMountainCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMountainCakes Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #17 of 40
Quote:

I just got this rolling pin and used it for the first time. It was WONDERFUL!!!. With my old Wilton rolling pin, it took me about 10 minutes and LOT of effort to roll out a 20" circle of fondant. With my new rolling pin, it was more like 2 minutes and almost effortless (the weight of the pin does most of the work!) It was a bit pricey with shipping and all, but worth every penny!

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:40pm
post #18 of 40

I have also heard pvc pipes work well, and plan on purchasing one. I also want the one pictured below because i think it would eliminate a lot of strain on my wrists/hands.... kind of an ergonomic design?
LL

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:43pm
post #19 of 40

I have a wood rolling pin that was a bridal shower gift in 1963......has the handles on it. I like the handles for pressure and leverage. It's about 2 1/2 " round maybe 14" long....
This is old but it works good for me.

There are so many great pins, you just have to fine the one that works for you. I did the PVC and wooden dowels for my kids classes.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:49pm
post #20 of 40

I tried the PVC thing, and couldn't help but notice that it was a lint magnet.

I am currently taking the fondant/gumpaste class that Wilton offers (I want the certificate). I forgot my rolling pin, so the instructor let me use her spare - a silicone-covered pin. I loved it, because the fondant didn't stick to it at all.

But now that Sharon has shown us that 18 inch aluminum one, I will probably go with that. Aluminum is a great conductor of heat, so if there's any friction (from rolling) warming up the fondant, the aluminum will help cool it down so it's easier to handle.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:52pm
post #21 of 40

I have a wooden one that I use, too...........but I am liking the idea of the PVC pipe!!!!! Hmmmm.........trip to Lowe's coming up!!!!!!

Oh, and I have found that since I do cakes out of my home, and I don't have a marble counter top to roll fondant on (well, not yet!) you can buy vinyl cut to any size you need at Walmart in the fabric section! IT IS AWESOME!!!!!! It stays put, the fondant rolls out really well, nothing 'wiggles' around....I just love it!!!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:57pm
post #22 of 40

FYI - I googled the aluminum rolling pin.......if you have a Sam's Club nearby, they have the 18" aluminum pin for $16.88!!!!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:59pm
post #23 of 40

Oh, I do have a Sam's near me, and my son's girlfriend has a membership there. Thanks for the info!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:31pm
post #24 of 40

I would not recommend using PVC piping. The type of plastic used for PVC leeches chemicals.

Quote:
Quote:

#3: Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) production requires highly polluting and carcinogenic chemicals that can contaminate the surrounding environment. PVC is often made with softeners such as phthalates, which can leach out of or evaporate from the finished products and have been shown to cause developmental and reproductive damage. And PVC incineration leads to the emission of dioxins, which are known to cause cancer, as well as reproductive, developmental, and immune problems. Landfilling PVC can cause the plastics toxic additives to leach into groundwater.

I use an aluminum rolling pin, which I got at Sam's, I think. It was a while back so I'm not sure now. It was relatively inexpensive.

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin40

FYI - I googled the aluminum rolling pin.......if you have a Sam's Club nearby, they have the 18" aluminum pin for $16.88!!!!!

I checked on this as we are planning to go to Sam's this weekend possibly, but it says it is only available for shipping. So I guess I'll have to order it!

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:18pm
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin40

icon_eek.gif that's awesome! I have always wanted one of those, I will have to check it out. Right now I use the wilton silicon one, and it does work really well. I tried pvc, and there was lint galore. I also have the big white wilton one, and didn't like it either. All the people on tv have the aluminum one, so of course, I must have it! icon_smile.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #27 of 40

I am with Sharon (Sugarshack) I have the 18 inch long aluminum one from Instawares and it is the bomb. It is lightweight.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm
post #28 of 40

I'll be checking Sam's tonight. A lot of times they'll have things even if the website says they don't. As for PVC, it sure looks like to me that is what the decorators use in the cake challenges. I did see one w/ a black pipe, but most look like white PVC. They also use it as their support a lot of times. I wouldn't think they could get away with using something not food safe.

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:57pm
post #29 of 40

Thanks for the Sam's club heads up I will be going there this afternoon.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 7:09pm
post #30 of 40

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%