Rice Krispie Treats Question

Decorating By julitre1 Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 1:59am by julitre1

julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 12

I am wanting to make Spongebob and Patrick RKT for my niece's birthday party. Does anyone have helpful instructions, hints, tips, anything? I've never made anything with RKT, except for RKT, lol. Also, I need to have this done before Friday, so any speedy replies would be great. LOL

11 replies
imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 12

I have never done it, but I have heard to make sure they are slightly warm so they are easier to work with. They should both be fairly easy to shape. Spongebob's legs might take a little more effort. Other than that I dont have any adivce. Good luck! I would love to see pics.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #3 of 12

Oops... double post. icon_redface.gif

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #4 of 12

It's really quite easy. Some people say RKTs are stronger if you don't use any butter or margarine in the recipe, but I've never really noticed a difference.
Make sure you mold them into shape while still warm (and use lots of butter or shortening on your hands to prevent sticking while molding).
While molding your shapes, keep in mind that you want to really squeeze the RKT... pack them together tightly, and even slightly crunch the RKs to get the shapes more solid. (did that make any sense? icon_rolleyes.gif )
Once you have your shapes molded, pop them into the freezer to set up. It's WAY faster than just leaving them out, and they get nice and solid (and stay that way).
Any other specific questions? HTH! thumbs_up.gif

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #5 of 12

I've read many, many times on this site that people prefer not to use butter in the recipe.

swtness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swtness Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #6 of 12

I just wanted to add in that I did a Blue's Clues house in RKT, but I used store bought RKT. If speed is a factor you might want to try that route! Hope that helps thumbs_up.gif

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 12

I did my first RKT last weekend. The "1" on top of my birthday cake in my photos. I tried it without butter, and it didn't work at all. I also tried to mold it while it was warm, and it was impossible. It made a gigantic mess. So I let it sit out until it was cool, then shaped it. Once it was shaped, I threw it in the freezer, and it firmed up so good. Also, try mashing the RKT before you cook them. That will help a lot with lumps on your figure!

julitre1 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you, that helps a lot. I have opted to just do spongebob for time's sake. I have another cake order, so now here it is Wednesday and I have to have a piano cake, spongebob rkt, and a Grease (the movie) cake done by Friday! Oh, yeah, I just started a new job outside the home b/c my cakes weren't bringing in enough money and now they are snowballing, LOL. Well, there ya go, I prayed that God would increase my cakes and looks like He's answering. LOL sorry about the ramble, I'm really tired.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by julitre1

I have another cake order, so now here it is Wednesday and I have to have a piano cake, spongebob rkt, and a Grease (the movie) cake done by Friday! Oh, yeah, I just started a new job outside the home b/c my cakes weren't bringing in enough money and now they are snowballing, LOL. Well, there ya go, I prayed that God would increase my cakes and looks like He's answering. LOL sorry about the ramble, I'm really tired.

That's so exciting!! Congrats on getting all of the orders!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 12

I want to do a Wilton Bear RKT. After I have molded it and it is cold and set up do I cover the bear with a thin layer of buttercream and then pipe on the stars? I have never decorated RKT before. Does the RKT stay firm under the buttercream - they don't get mushy do they?

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 12

Someone must know - please help all of you RKT users.

julitre1 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #12 of 12

So turns out I ended up not doing the RKT. It was for my niece and I ended up not being able to go. I was disappointed, as was she, but she understood. Thank you all for your advice, I will be doing something with RKT very soon for practice. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%