John And Kate +8

Lounge By maryjsgirl Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm by Tita9499

maryjsgirl Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 346

Does anyone watch this show?

I haven't seen it in years until last night. I had left it on TLC so I wouldn't forget to watch Cake Boss.

Wow! They have changed. I had thought they were endearing when I watched their special and the first couple of shows. I couldn't even stomach the mother last night. I was so uncomfortable with her behavior.

I am seeing tell all autobiographies in the future.

Poor kids. thumbsdown.gif

345 replies
TheCakerator Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 346

I used to watch it all the time as well, and just caught a few episodes this past week .. one was apparently at their old home, when it was Christmas time .. and they were going on and on about how so many strangers mail them gifts for their kids because it is always a worry to them on how to manage Christmas for eight kids ... then a few episodes later, they were in this HUGE house with HUNDREDS of acres upon acres .. and they had steve tompson? come out and greenify their new house ... it looked like a mansion .. and both the parents were well tanned .. and it seems to me, that video was shot in February because they celebrated Valentines day on that episode ... I don't think they are quite as hard up as what they had once acted like.

And it really bothers me how no matter what the parents are talking about in their interview with the cameras, Kate is ALWAYS playing with her ears or earrings. I don't know why, but that really bothers me ....

hahaha I guess that show is workin my last nerve.

Deb_ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 346

I've only watched it a couple of times too, but came away with the same awful and uncomfortable feeling towards the mom.

I really don't like the way she treats or talks to her husband. She was constantly talking down to him in the episode I saw when they moved into their new house.

I actually felt really bad for him and I can't imagine why anyone would allow their spouse to treat them like dirt. thumbsdown.gif

I wonder if she ever watches the episodes and if she does do you think she notices what a horrible wife she comes across as? Yuck!

Shelle_75 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 346

I used to love the show until it turned into one big infomercial for whatever vacation spot they were at or whatever new appliance Kate got that week. And she's gotten more and more, what's the word I'm looking for....psychotic??.....as the show has progressed. Don't know if I'll be spending my time on the next season or not.

Oh, and two words: that hair!!!!

KKC Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I've only watched it a couple of times too, but came away with the same awful and uncomfortable feeling towards the mom.

I really don't like the way she treats or talks to her husband. She was constantly talking down to him in the episode I saw when they moved into their new house.

I actually felt really bad for him and I can't imagine why anyone would allow their spouse to treat them like dirt. thumbsdown.gif

I wonder if she ever watches the episodes and if she does do you think she notices what a horrible wife she comes across as? Yuck!

I thought I was the only one who felt that way...she treats him like a child. On one episode where they were in Kmart shopping for XMas she was screaming "HELLO" at him. She wanted him to keep the kids occupied while she shopped but then she gave him grief for playing with his kids. But that seems to be the way she gets his attention in public...she's always screaming "HELLO"....it seems to me that he enjoys his time with the kids while she always has a stick up her a$$ icon_mad.gif She has really become annoying to me...and one of the older twin girls Maddy is going to have a personality just like her mommy...every chance she gets she throws a hissy fit, sometimes I just want to jump thru the tv tapedshut.gif ...she is terrible! I feel bad for the hubby...when i look at that show I always promise myself that I would never treat my hubby like that. But on the flip side I do love their kids..they are so adorable!

maryjsgirl Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:28am
post #6 of 346

The worst moment on the show was when Kate went in that bucket truck thingamajig to see the solar panels. She acted so scared. When she got down her daughter went to give her a hug and Kate just pushed her away. icon_mad.gif

cakes22 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 346

One episode recently showed her chewing John out for not using a coupon, then she SCREAMED at him about receipts and how the first thing he is supposed to do when he gets home from shopping is give her the receipts.
Free things that they have received:
1) tummy tuck
2) hair plugs
3) teeth whitening

Any you wonder why octo-mom wanted to cash in on that!!! icon_razz.gif

Their kids are going to be messed up when the camera's go. It will be a sad reality for them when they figure out that the majority of people just don't care anymore.

& I really don't blame John for going out and partying with college girls!!

AverageMom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 346

I used to watch, but it got too uncomfortable. They wonder why Maddy acts up....look at yourselves! I think those kids are in for a rough time.

LadyG33 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 346

My middle child likes to watch that show. When its on I mubble bad things.

That show is so sad and its sad that they are cashing in on there kids. The money the kids are making them will stop one day and then whats going to happen?

Carolynlovescake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 346

I used to watch it until my husband asked me to stop watching it while he was at home. He couldn't take her screaching and screaming at everyone and it also really bothered him that not only did she talk to her husband that way but that he allowed it to happen and just roll off his back.

I haven't see it for a couple seasons except for the occasional episode here and there during the day and I realized how anxious and stressed I felt at the end of the episodes.

Just the last week I ran across a couple anti John & Kate blogs. One of them was someone who is close to them. Reading it all was an eye opener especially what they receive in return from TLC. I know it's probably a small payback in comparison to having cameras in your home and literally feeling like they are up your rear 3 to 5 days a week but again... WOW!

They also stopped showing Kate's sister in law (her brother's wife) on the show because TLC offered to compensate her financially for the cameras being in her home as well and Kate basically said "no one profits off my family except for me". ZOINKS BATMAN! The SIL wasn't asking for the money, TLC offered it to her for invading her home and privacy.

It appears they found a gravy train and are riding it to the fullest. Although I could have said that about them long before running across the blogs airing dirty laundry about them. It's obvious. John's job isn't one that is hugely high paying for the most part and yet they are taking very expensive trips here, another first class trips there, her tummy tuck, more trips here and there... at some point viewers have to realize that TLC's got to be footing the bill for a lot of things to make for good TV.

I caught the season ender for them this last season where John was saying he didn't know if there would be a next season... I had to laugh. Of course there will because you all are used to all the free stuff and money, products and trips flowing into the home/family because of that show. It will stop when taping stops. You'll all be yesterday's ratings and will be living off of just his income since she's staying at home to raise the kids. There's no way his income can cover that nice new house, bills, plus food for 10.

Has anyone bought Kate's book? I didn't even know she had one out until I read it on one of the blogs. If so what is it about? Is it any good?

UGH! Sorry didn't mean for this to end up so long... icon_lol.gif

TheCakerator Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #11 of 346

Wow .. I didn't realize so many people watched that show ... no, I have not bought her book and I wouldn't either... I didn't know there were blogs about that family but I am not surprised ... always wondered why they never showed her parents or anything ... Maybe they don't think it's right either .. who knows ... I was telling my husband the other night when it was on, and she was going on and on about how her washing machines are always running, BOTH sets are always on, and then I said to my dh, well I don't know what she is complaining about .. she has someone that comes and folds her laundry and another person who comes and irons, and another person who comes and puts it away .. if all I had to do was throw it in a machine do you think I would complain about that?? They are making a nice chunk of change off that show ... I can only hope their ride stops now that a show called "table for 12" is on that channel as well .. its about a family that has 10 kids ... so look out kate! Someone's trying to catch a ride! hahahaha

jen1977 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm
post #12 of 346

From what I understand, Jon doesn't even work anymore...the money from the show pays all the bills, not to mention all the freebies. I've noticed in the few shows I watched this season that they are really giving close ups to a lot of products...Little Tyke toys, Tonka, Juicy Juice...I bet they get all those free for the advertising on the show! I wonder if she has people who are dumb enough to put all her laundry away and babysit that brood for free since they've moved? I feel sorry for Aunt Jodi...from what I've heard, Kate doesn't allow her to see the kids, period.

bigsisof3kids Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 346

And I thought I was the only one who gets irritated at this show!

I watch it every once in a while, but I used to watch it like every week. I can't handle Kate. At all. But the kids are so adorable! Little Aiden, with his glasses is just SO CUTE. But hte twins are gonna be just like their mom...

Have you seen the episode when they went to Disney World? Talk about an unrelaxing vacation! When they went to a meet-and-greet with the Disney princesses, I guess they all had ice cream, and got little dribbles on their clothes. And the mom absolutely FLIPPED OUT. Saying the whole day is ruined, etc. It was terrible. And then in the interview on the couch, the producer asked Kate if she thought she had over-reacted, and she was like "Of course not."

I love the rest of the family, and the dad, but can't handle Kate.

tjrobin31 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #14 of 346

i used to watch the show all the time, but as so many others have said, kate is just too annoying, plus the constant whining about coupons, etc.. when you know darn well they obvioiusly don't have to worry too much financially , just look at that new house,
i think in the beginning (of the show) things may have been different, but now it's like watching a reality show on mtv, sorta like the hills, only not,
i feel for those little kids, they are soo adorable, and her husband, that poor man needs to grow a spine or something,
all and all the show just gives me a headache,
someone mentioned the new show, table for 12, the people on this show seem like pretty average down to earth people, it's not a bad show,
i don't even mind the rolloffs, although the dad completely irritates my husband,
but john and kate, nope way too annoying, maybe if it was just john plus 8 .

Deb_ Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #15 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

I was telling my husband the other night when it was on, and she was going on and on about how her washing machines are always running, BOTH sets are always on, and then I said to my dh, well I don't know what she is complaining about .. she has someone that comes and folds her laundry and another person who comes and irons, and another person who comes and puts it away .. if all I had to do was throw it in a machine do you think I would complain about that??

As the youngest of 8 kids I can tell you my Mom would have been happy to have just *1* clothes dryer. I remember as a kid when they saved up enough to buy her a washing machine, she was so excited.

She hung out the clothes to dry 12 months a year, even during the coldest winter days. She didn't have a clothes dryer until their 25th Wedding Anniversary, when all of us kids pitched in to buy her one. (can you believe that?.............that's what she wanted)

This Kate woman has NO idea what it means to take care of those 8 children on her own, she's never had to do it.

I'm kind of glad my parents are not around to see this show, I know it would make them sick to see the way they are *flaunting* their children.

I think because I am one of 8 it sickens me more...........that is SO NOT what it's like for big families, they're living in a fantasy world.

bigsisof3kids Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #16 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I think because I am one of 8 it sickens me more...........that is SO NOT what it's like for big families, they're living in a fantasy world.

I'm the oldest of 7, so I give that a big 'ole AMEN!

mkolmar Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #17 of 346

I watch the show, although Kate is really starting to irritate me. She seems so high strung and admits it.
I know that a lot of the money from the show has went to pay for the kids to go to college. They said in a Q&A that they try to save almost all of it.
Aunt Jody is allowed to see the kids, the actually love their aunt very much and so does Kate and John. The grandparents are not too involved in the grandkids live, but never have been since the twins so it has nothing to do with the kids or the show since that decision was made before the 6 came and the show. John's father passed away years ago.
Jon works for his friend doing IT but is able to do a lot of it from home, from what I understand.
Kate was an OB nurse before the 6 kids came so that explains her obsession with cleanliness, but she has some serious OCD kicking. I mean, take a break lady and let the kids be kids already!
I hate to say I use to be high-strung about my oldest daughter when her clothes got messed up. We were poor and couldn't afford much so to see an outfit get stained killed me. (thank goodness for oxyclean! by the way now I could care less. I've learned to chill out about a lot of things.)
Her sales of her first book is going VERY well. I could care less to read it, but I have a few friends who have it and love it. She just got done writing book #2 so that will be on sale soon too. I think that's probably where a lot of their income is coming from.
I know someone who did a reality show for Bravo network years ago, they don't get paid as much as you think. With having the camera's up your rear for days on end it's just not worth it.
If you ever have questions for John and Kate just email them through the TLC website. They answer everyone's questions back as soon as they can unless the people are very rude then they don't answer back.

Not defending them in any way, just telling what I learned from the few Q&A's they've done on the show.
I honestly am really starting to dislike Kate for how she treats her husband. I understand not always getting along and the camera's catching it and it being edited to make it look worse, but come on already! Every time DH and I watch the show he turns to me and says "I thank God that you're not like that because as much as I love you I would run screaming into the night".
Their kids are cute, but she seriously needs to loosen up before they grow up with issues.
I'm interested to see if having a larger house helps with the chaos since they were in so tight of quarters before. Now they can spread out and get away from each other. I'm wondering if that will help, but with that many bold personalities I'm not sure.

KKC Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:21am
post #18 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Aunt Jody is allowed to see the kids, the actually love their aunt very much and so does Kate and John. .

I have to disagree about her being allowed to see the kids....if u read a blog written by Aunt Jody's sister and see the video that Aunt Jody herself taped its quite clear that she is no longer around The Gosselin family. Aunt Jody is clearly upset in the video as she talks you can hear her voice cracking. And honestly about the Q&A..they probably don't answer any of the questions that'll make them look bad.

I feel so bad for John though...i remember in one episode he told Kate to take the stick out of her u know what...of course he didn't say the actual word.

mkolmar Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:26am
post #19 of 346

ahhh, see....the magic of tv. Twist all sorts of things. They seem to be an emotional group of people over there in that house hold.

I still don't see how John puts up with her. I would loose my mind with that woman.

Deb_ Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:35am
post #20 of 346

Does anyone know if the house was a *gift* to them?

One of the few episodes I've watched was the one when they were moving into it and Kate was screaming at Jon because he had lost the receipt for some faucet that had to be returned.

Some of you guys that know the story better then me have mentioned that Kate's parents aren't really involved too much with the family. Maybe Kate was raised by the same type of parents that she's becoming. That could explain why they're not around now. icon_rolleyes.gif

If that is the case, you'd think she'd want the opposite for her own kids.

One line she says a lot that bothers me is "just kill me now" icon_confused.gif Real nice for her to say things like that in front of her little ones. icon_rolleyes.gif

KKC Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:34pm
post #21 of 346

On the family's website (sixgosselins.com) Kate talks about how when the older twins were only a year old she wanted to go back for more treatments to get pregnant because she wanted to be a mom again icon_confused.gif Hello...lady u have twins already and they are more than likely still in diapers and u want to go for round 2 icon_eek.gif . Sounds to me like she had dollar signs in her eyes tapedshut.gif

Honestly, If I had to take fertility treatments and got pregnant with twins..i tell u that would be it for me. Theres no way I would go back for another dose of that stuff knowing what could happen.

cakes22 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:10pm
post #22 of 346

When I got pregnant with my son (who is now 11), he was a twin. Around the 12 wk mark, the other one wasn't there anymore, just got absorbed into the tissue. I took fertility drugs to get preggers with him(them). But now, I look back and think, I don't think I could have managed TWO of him icon_eek.gif ! Love him to death but 2! nope, couldn't do it. (though I am sure I would have managed).

Like I said earlier, those kids are going to be messed up once the camera leave & having a mother like that & watching Kate treat Jon that way infront of the kids is a recipe for diaster.

Lucy181 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:43pm
post #23 of 346

Is it just me or does anybody miss the good ol' days when the family was living like the rest of us? Why do they think we won't watch if they aren't on Oprah, expensive vacations, having surgery, a second wedding that none of their friends or close family attended, etc.? I much prefer it when they do "normal" everyday things.
I feel bad for the children because I know mine would be mortified if their classmates saw them throwing a tantrum, being constipated, their Dad getting screamed at and made fun of by their Mother.
Did anybody catch the finale of last season? Jon was clearly frustrated with being in the spotlight and having no privacy and doesn't want to do the show any more. Every time he said something negative about the whole privacy situation, Kate would jump in and say how this is the happiest she's ever been and wanted to keep going. I knew right then that she would get her way. Wake up, lady, your husband is miserable. She keeps reminding us all of how religious she is and makes a big production of it, but sure doesn't show it by the way she treats her husband, kids, family, and what little friends they have left.
Oh, and if they are "going Green", then why do they continue to use paper plates at almost every meal? Let me guess, the solar panels were free and it was another way to get people to watch?
Just my opinion..............

KKC Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:59am
post #24 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy181

Is it just me or does anybody miss the good ol' days when the family was living like the rest of us? Why do they think we won't watch if they aren't on Oprah, expensive vacations, having surgery, a second wedding that none of their friends or close family attended, etc.? I much prefer it when they do "normal" everyday things.
I feel bad for the children because I know mine would be mortified if their classmates saw them throwing a tantrum, being constipated, their Dad getting screamed at and made fun of by their Mother.
Did anybody catch the finale of last season? Jon was clearly frustrated with being in the spotlight and having no privacy and doesn't want to do the show any more. Every time he said something negative about the whole privacy situation, Kate would jump in and say how this is the happiest she's ever been and wanted to keep going. I knew right then that she would get her way. Wake up, lady, your husband is miserable. She keeps reminding us all of how religious she is and makes a big production of it, but sure doesn't show it by the way she treats her husband, kids, family, and what little friends they have left.
Oh, and if they are "going Green", then why do they continue to use paper plates at almost every meal? Let me guess, the solar panels were free and it was another way to get people to watch?
Just my opinion..............

I would love to hear what her parents say about her and the show...

I think that they could learn a thing or two from the Duggar family (18 Kids and Counting) on how to treat your spouses, kids and friends. They make their own Wash detergent, they shop at Thrift Stores for their clothing...I think that they are a very nice family..and although some of the kids maybe a little rowdy most of them are well behaved. I enjoy watching them more than John & Kate and Maddy....John doesn't get under my skin as much as Kate & Maddy. I love Cara and the smaller kids.

jlynnw Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:08pm
post #25 of 346

I hate the one where Kate goes to the spa for the day. She picks out toe nail polish for the little boy. She keeps saying how it is good to get away from the family, it make you a better mom. I kinda wish she would just stay away! John just seems so lacking a spine and she runs all over him. They used to seem like a real family now it is almost like watching the Kardasians or the Girl's Next Door. Just so phony and materialistic. So Sad

TheCakerator Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:12pm
post #26 of 346

I do agree with that, so very materialistic anymore .. it never was like that in the beginning ... it is a shame what happens when people start getting a little popular and have money to boot ...

jlynnw Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
post #27 of 346

The Cakerator, I love that you count Christmas down. I got the ugliest look from DH when I announced at breakfast it was 8 months until Christmas. The best day of my year!

rushing Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:33pm
post #28 of 346

Has anyone read this article? It sure does open your eyes.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/jon_and_kate_gosselin/

I agree with the rest of you. Kate's become way too horrible. I feel bad for those kids. I mean, when you think about it, they have had cameras in their face since they were born. I can't even imagine how hard it's going to be once they get older. =/

jlynnw Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm
post #29 of 346

Just watched "The Truman Show" with Jim Carrey. Made me think of all the similarities between the 2 shows. Truman discovers the truth and runs from it. What will it be like for the 8 when they discover the reality of their situation and can run from it?

Shelle_75 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:50am
post #30 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushing

Has anyone read this article? It sure does open your eyes.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/jon_and_kate_gosselin/

I just read this, and all I can say is WOW.

I also tooled around until I found the video, it IS actually Aunt Jodi saying that yes, her sister's blog is true about her & Kevin being ousted from their lives after TLC wanted to compensate them for being on the show. I predict the backlash will become too much, and that J&K+8 won't last much longer.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%