Cracked Royal Icing

Baking By CookieMeister Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm by bakinccc

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 3

The last couple of times I've made cookies, I've had problems with a few of them cracking where I had flooded the icing (sorry, I don't have pictures). Trying to troubleshoot why that happened.

After the first time, I thought maybe I moved the cookies too soon, so the second time I waited about 30 minutes before I moved them. Most of them came out unscathed that time, but a few still had cracks in the top of the royal icing. I'm wondering if maybe I thinned the icing too much? What would cause that to happen?

2 replies
sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 3

Ok i'll give this my best shot....

So you say that you didn't move them too early...
My guess is that your cooling rack is uneven and even the slightest movement of the table can cause these sorts of cracks when the cookies are drying. Vibrations. Why some cracked and others didn't??Perhaps they were on a more level rack. That is if you use racks for your cookies..;0)

I had the same problem, so now i only use my flatest cooling rack to dry the cookies on, and no cracks. Then of course I don't touch them until dry.

HTH.

Suz

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 3

I'm with sweetcravings...I frost all of mine on cooling racks. But I found out a long time ago that the weight of the icing will make the rack sag greatly especially when you have a 1/2 inch thick cookie to start with!! So now I have these perfect little stacks of coins wrapped up with yellow electrical tape that I put under the center of each rack. It took something like 4 quarters, a nickel and 5 pennies to get the height right, but I never, ever have cracked icing as long as those are under there!! I use the large Wilton cooling racks...I wish they'd make them with a center support and just eliminate the problem altogether.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%