Please. 16 In Square Tips!

Decorating By mariela_ms Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm by costumeczar

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 19

Hi CC members!

I am making a wedding cake for one of my best friends this saturday (25th) and I am making a 16, 12, 8 and 6 in square cake.

The biggest cake I've made is a 12 in with no problem what so ever. But never a 16 in....please can you give me any tips on baking one?

It does fit in my oven, that is the first thing I checked icon_wink.gif and I usually use rose picks as heating cores, but I am actually thinking of buying a heating core instead for this particular cake. WOuld you recommend that?

It will be decorated in buttercream with satin ribbon and rhinestone brooches and red roses on top.

THank you so much for your help!

18 replies
mariela_ms Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 19

anyone?

mariela_ms Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 19

??

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 19

I wish I could help, but I have never baked a cake that big either!

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 19

I have baked a 16 inch round cake before, using no heating core or flower nail. I just turn the oven temp down to 325. Takes a little longer to bake, but it came out great. I have the heating cores, but I hate them. Turning the oven down works just fine. Good luck!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 19

For anything bigger than 12" pans I use the flower nails, and for a 16" I'll put three of them in the pan. Just space them out evenly like a triangle in the pan and it will bake just fine. No heating core required.

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 19

I don't like the heating core either. I threw mine away and turn down the heat, but I still have some pans that need that little extra something. The flower nail is something I have never thought of. How have the results been?

To answer your question, I have just turned down the heat.

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 19

I'm just about to make a 16 and I tend to use 2 rose picks and use wax paper on the bottom of the pan ... you don't want anything sticking! I also wired two cooling racks together!!! I flipped a cake out once and wasn't thinking about the fact that the rack was half the size of the cake!!! LOL!! It also take a lot longer to cook.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 19

I did a 15 (i think) hexagon with no heating core or nail and it came out great! I just used the bake even strips and it came out great.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 19

I did a 15 (i think) hexagon with no heating core or nail and it came out great! I just used the bake even strips and it came out great.

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 19

I would do everything just to be safe - low temp baking, multiple rose nails, bake even strips.

Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:55pm
post #12 of 19

If you want to line your cake pan to ensure no sticking, use parchment paper, not wax paper. When I use parchment paper, I spray my cake pans with Pam and then line them with parchment.

Parchment, Bake-Even Strips, a few flower nails, 325 degree oven, NO OPENING THE DOOR TO PEEK, and not overfilling the pan will ensure total success.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

For anything bigger than 12" pans I use the flower nails, and for a 16" I'll put three of them in the pan. Just space them out evenly like a triangle in the pan and it will bake just fine. No heating core required.

This is exactly what I did when I had to do a 16". I also baked on 325.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:26pm
post #14 of 19

mariela_ms, it seems as tho your question has been answered, I just wanted to say congratulations on your weight loss...way to go, girl! icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:47am
post #15 of 19

And now I know what to do too! Thanks Mariela!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:47am
post #16 of 19

I grease-only-no-flour my pans, use baking strips, and reduce the oven temp. I routinely do 16" cakes. I even have a 14x22 pan and I dont' use flower nails or heating cores.

mariela_ms Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:58pm
post #17 of 19

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!
Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I had to take my friend to the airport, (btw...we missed her plane!)

Thank you for all your tips! I will do the flower nails, bake even strips and bake at 325. I'm a bit nervous, but I hope everything turns out well.

I hadn't even thought about the cooling racks! I too have to wire two together now.

THank you ! I'll post pics!

mariela_ms Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #18 of 19

Hello everyone... Just wanted to update you on my first 16 in cake. First of all thank you all very much for all the great tips! I used 3 flower nails and I didn't even have to level the cakes! As a matter a fact I didn't have to level any of the cakes for this one! Everything went so smoothly.

I've posted the pic...here it is!

THANK YOU!!!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1355441&done=1

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #19 of 19

Beautiful cake... I'm glad that it worked well for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%