Flavouring Fondant?

Decorating By PTBUGZY1 Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 5:51pm by Dizzymaiden

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 21

I have not attempted making my own fondant yet (I will one day) I use Wilton ready made, yes I hear many of you groaning but I like it and being a beginner I know it"ll work everytime. My question is.......can I add a flavor to it and still get the same results? I like working with fondant but not many people I know like to eat it they all prefer BC, so maybe if I flavour it they'll come round. icon_smile.gif

20 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 21

I'm a beginner too and have been using Wilton (although I did just order Satic Ice for cakes I have on order). Anyway, I added 2 capfuls of clear vanilla to a 5lb block and kneaded it really good to distribute and it came out pretty good. I'd think any clear flavoring would work the same and just add it to your liking.

Good Luck!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 21

Welcome fellow Texan! cowboy.gif

I have to be honest with you here. Adding flavoring to Wilton fondant is like spraying perfume on dog poop. It really won't help that much, and I doubt you will convert any fondant haters with this tactic.

I know Wilton is cheap, and I know it's consistent. That's why I use it on all of my dummies. Unfortunately Wilton fondant is the reason (IMO) that most people think they hate fondant.

I like to make my own. It's cheaper, and it tastes better than anything out of a package. I make Michele Foster's fondant. It is easy peasy to make, and most importantly, I get to control the quality of my product. Just yesterday I made it using a nice Belgian chocolate... let's just say I had a hard time not shoving it all in my mouth icon_lol.gif !

If you would like to try making it, here is the link to the recipe:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7432-Michele-Fosters-Updated-Fondant.html

Make the jump! You won't regret it. And on the off chance you do, there are grillions of people here at CC who will help you!

pastrychef22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef22 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 21

Ok I must say that I use pre-made fondant on my cakes I first used Wilton and that is the nastyiest tasting stuff that I have ever had. I now use Satin Ice and the people i know that hated fondant don't hate it so much now because Satin Ice does taste good. I do also agree with txcupcake but I have not yet brought myself to making my own for fear that I will have a cake ready to go and mess up the fondat and the cake be a big disaster. As far as coloring fondant I personally recommend not trying to color your own I always start with Satin Ice colors and then add white to get the shade that I would like to have.

PTBUGZY1 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 21

thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.
Txcupcake I will try this recipe this weekend wish me luck icon_biggrin.gif

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 21

I too am new and tried wilton fondant once and I was not happy with it so I figured that I would just stay with BC. Yesterday I tried making Michelle Fosters fondant and it was so easy!! It came out great and tasted soooo yummy my DH kept asking for more to "taste test" for me. It did give my mixer a workout but it was well worth it. Also it has to sit for 24 hours (not sure why maybe someone will clue me in on that one) so it isn't ready to go straight on the cake after you make it, and it doesn't feel like I am kneading a brick as with Wilton. Hope you make the leap, I'm so happy I did! thumbs_up.gif

tx_cupcake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrychef22

I do also agree with txcupcake but I have not yet brought myself to making my own for fear that I will have a cake ready to go and mess up the fondat and the cake be a big disaster.

I would just advise you to make a practice batch to use on a dummy. It doesn't take that long to make, and after you've made it once you'll feel a lot more confident!

Good luck PTBUGZY1! The great thing about using Michele's recipe is that she is a member here (sugarflowers), and she is great about answering questions!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 21

Ive never tried Michelle fosters fondant... nor have i ever tried wiltons (heard way too many bad things about it to waste my money) but i do use MMF all the time and i relly like it... but i am getting satin ice this week hopefully its good too!!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 21

CakeandDazzle; I used the SatinIce white for baby shower cookies last week. To my suprise and DELIGHT - people started to eat them and were making yummy noises! I really like the way SatinIce rolls out and has a nice marshmello flavor.

I am going to try Michele Foster's because the good fondant is expensive.

ps. are those candy sparkles on your cupcake pix?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 21

txcupcake....you just made me laugh with your perfume on dog poop comment! I am at work sneaking around reading the forums and that almost got me busted! Thanks for the chuckle! And new ladies.....really, MMF is VERY easy....and very inexpensive. Give it a whirl....the most you can lose is about 2 bucks!

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

txcupcake....you just made me laugh with your perfume on dog poop comment! I am at work sneaking around reading the forums and that almost got me busted! Thanks for the chuckle! And new ladies.....really, MMF is VERY easy....and very inexpensive. Give it a whirl....the most you can lose is about 2 bucks!

I make mmf, too, because of how cheap and easy it is. I like to add LorAnn oil to it, whatever will coordinate with the flavor of the cake I'm making.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

CakeandDazzle; I used the SatinIce white for baby shower cookies last week. To my suprise and DELIGHT - people started to eat them and were making yummy noises! I really like the way SatinIce rolls out and has a nice marshmello flavor.

I am going to try Michele Foster's because the good fondant is expensive.

ps. are those candy sparkles on your cupcake pix?

Unfornuatly im not sure, because it is a stolen picture icon_sad.gif Until I work on my logo cake design.... they do sell them though! i cant remember were though. (btw not stolen from a decorator just clip art...)

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:39pm
post #13 of 21

I've never used Wilton fondant, having been pre-warned, but I did try Satin Ice. I thought it was okay, but everyone still peeled it off. (Of course I don't think I've quite got the HANG of rolling it thin enough!) They told me it TASTED fine but that they were having trouble with the texture, and that's something you're really not going to be able to get away from no matter what you do.

I've gone back to marshmallow fondant, since it's easy peasy and I've been told that it's "better" than Satin Ice. I made hazelnut flavored for my latest cake, to go over Belgian chocolate SMBC, and boy it's yummy!

PTBUGZY1 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:58pm
post #14 of 21

Ok so I tried making the fondant this weekend (Michelle Foster recipe), sooooooo much better tasting than the Wilton premade stuff.
Thanks for all the help. thumbs_up.gif However next time I will add colour as I make it, blending after OMG what a workout. icon_eek.gif The fondant was kinda crumbly thou when a pressed it, was it because of to much suger or overworking??
after adding glycerine it worked out fine.

tx_cupcake Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:42pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTBUGZY1

Ok so I tried making the fondant this weekend (Michelle Foster recipe), sooooooo much better tasting than the Wilton premade stuff.
Thanks for all the help. thumbs_up.gif However next time I will add colour as I make it, blending after OMG what a workout. icon_eek.gif The fondant was kinda crumbly thou when a pressed it, was it because of to much suger or overworking??
after adding glycerine it worked out fine.

I had this issue the first time as well. I think my problem was that I just dumped in three packets of gelatin without actually measuring it, so I ended up using too much. But adding glycerin fixed the issue. I've found that either adding glycerin or a little more ps, depending on the issue, fixes just about anything.

Welcome to the world of yummy fondant! thumbs_up.gif

Dizzymaiden Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #16 of 21

has anyone tried marzipan? i think there is a fondant like almond paste mixture that works like fondant but tastes better?

tx_cupcake Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:04pm
post #17 of 21

I am personally not a marzipan fan so I've never used it, but I know it's pretty popular in Europe.

PTBUGZY1 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:28pm
post #18 of 21

Dizzymaiden, Marzipan has the same kinda consistancy as fondant (personally I do not like the taste) In Europe it is used quiet alot. I remember growing up, at christmas the fruit cakes would be covered in a layer of marzipan than a covering of fondant, and every year I'd peel the fondant from the cake and thats all I'd eat, wow that brings back memories.

Dizzymaiden Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:43pm
post #19 of 21

PTBUGZY1 - hopefully it is a good memory!

Must be like sushi or other acquired tastes. I have not tried it - I love fresh marzipan that I get from the North End in Boston (Italian bakery). So I thought - oh maybe this would taste good rolled real thin on soaked cake??

It does have a gritty texture compared to fondant. Always looking for the "perfect" cake cover (which of course is bc).

PTBUGZY1 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:54pm
post #20 of 21

Dizzymaiden,
Soaked cake???

I think the fruit cakes we had at christmas got a bad wrap, they were dark and rich and heavy, you look in any grandmothers pantry (in england) and your likely to find a fruit cake dated years back, but most likely edible. A bit like roaches lol (they'll survive and last thro anything)

Dizzymaiden Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:51pm
post #21 of 21

Sorry that is what my English grandmother called cake that you soak with liquor...lol

I love fruitcake (if it is made correctly). Not too many people appreciate the flavor - but I think it might be because they never had really well made fc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%