Book Cake

Decorating By sdaij5 Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 11:04am by chanielisalevy

sdaij5 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 9

I am considering making a stacked book cake for someones graduation. I have looked at some on here and I love the way they look. I am trying to find some kind of instructions for them though. Such as, how do you get the cover of the book to stick out farther than the pages without having it sag? If anyone knows some instruction to the book cakes, please let me know.

8 replies
pattigunter Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 9

I've never done a book but I've seen it done on a cake challenge once. The lady just carved out a bit under the book cover for the pages. I'm planning to do one as well for graduation this year so I'll be interested to see what those who have done it have to say.

tx_cupcake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 9

I've never made one, but here's a bump!

cylstrial Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 9

LOL. I'm doing the same thing for my husband's law school graduation cake. I've been wondering the same thing as it is coming up soon.

Hopefully, someone will come along and help us out!

Thanks for starting the thread!

sdaij5 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:24am
post #5 of 9

I wish that there was an article or something on it here. I have seen a few that are saggy but there are some really wonderful book-like ones. I thought about just carving it a bit, but I worry about the weight of the fondant making the edges bend down and sag a bit. I want a hardcover, not a paperback.

cylstrial Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:51am
post #6 of 9

Hmm..no one answered us. Strange! I wonder if someone has a book tutorial? Maybe on U-tube or something?

I'm looking for the hardback look myself.

Frankyola Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:54am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaij5

I wish that there was an article or something on it here. I have seen a few that are saggy but there are some really wonderful book-like ones. I thought about just carving it a bit, but I worry about the weight of the fondant making the edges bend down and sag a bit. I want a hardcover, not a paperback.

You can cut some styrofoam and place them around the book and it will hold the cover thumbs_up.gif

JodieF Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:59am
post #8 of 9

I've only done one book, but I rolled the fondant a little thick and barely went over the "pages"....no problem sagging...still look like a book! At least I think so!

Have a look in my photos!

Jodie

chanielisalevy Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:04am
post #9 of 9

Sorry no one else responded! I'm also surprised. I have made several of these book cakes.

I roll s trip of white fondant for the pages. I roll with a lined roller or use a ruler to make idnentations then attach to 3 sides of the cake. At this point you can gild gold, spongepaint colors for antiquey books or leave it white. Before adding the cover now is the time to put in a page holder tasle if you want.

For the cover, roll the colored fondant a bit thicker than normal. Sometimes I even Let it sit for a minute rolled out to dry up JUST A BIT that lay it over the rectangle. You can use a sharp scissors to make your corners nice and crisp if they "shift in transit!" (from the counter to the cake! smile)

After covering the top and spine of the book, trim up the excess around the base of the cake. Then roll a bit of fondant in the same color and cut a 1/4" strip the length of the 3 sides of the cake and lay around the base of the cake where the white pages are to represent the underside book cover. ALternatively, If the book is small, you can roll fondant, lay the crumb coated cake on top of the fondant, and wrap the fondant up and around the spine of the book and over the top of the cake and overhang across the top, then trip up the overhang. In either scenario, I hold up the book's edges with styrofoam or the like for an hour or so until it hardens so that the overhnag sticks sraight out, not hanging! Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%