Confused In Nc....

Business By cakedesigner59 Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm by cakedesigner59

cakedesigner59 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 7

I have the info from NCDA Food & Drug Protection, but I'm confused as to what order I do things. My hubby says I should get inspected first, I thought I should get the business license first. What if I get inspected and then find out that I can't get a license 'cause my city doesn't allow it? How did you legal NC bakers do it?


6 replies
jammjenks Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 7

I got my inspection first, but I knew my area would allow it. I guess you'd need to make sure of that. Then I registered my name, applied for tax ID# and business license, got insurance, website, etc.

cakedesigner59 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 7

thanks! I appreciate it. I'll write down the "to-do" list. I'm just grateful that NC allows it.

jammjenks Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 7
Originally Posted by cakedesigner59

thanks! I appreciate it. I'll write down the "to-do" list. I'm just grateful that NC allows it.

You and me both girlfriend!

acookieobsession Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 7

The inspection is not big deal and there is no fee for takes a while for the sales and use stuff plus the llc if you get that. i personally checked the license first, city and neighborhood. Do you have a well? If so...that would be the part of the inspection that would be a pain.

ncdessertdiva Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 7

Check you local muncipality's website to be sure that you are zoned for a business before you start the legwork on everything else. NC is pretty lenient on most home-based businesses . . . check out the beauty shops and daycare centers in homes. Licensing, etc. should not be that time consuming. My husband got his Tax ID number online the same day. Registering your name with the local Register of Deeds office isn't hard either. Its all in the details!!
Good luck!

cakedesigner59 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks, yall. I don't have a well (city sewer), so that's cool. I contacted the zoning for my city and they pointed me to their website and I filled out a "home occupation permit application". They made it sound like it was pretty much no sweat, as long as I didn't put signage out and met with clients by appt only. After I turn that in (with a copy of my floorplan), they will contact me. I don't know if they (zoning) want to come by and check out the house or not. I called NC Food & Drug to schedule an inspection, but all I got was a lady's voicemail. No return call yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%