Why Do I Suck So Bad??? Vent

Decorating By Niquie Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm by lostincake

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:58am
post #31 of 37

Niquie: Perk up! Which is hard to do with a 2 month old. Not sure how you find the time - don't forget to sleep when the baby does!

Looking at your photos, I'd say you're a step ahead of me. I feel the same way each time I've finished with my cake. I have all these great ideas and then they just don't materialize. So far, I have to change directions everytime I make a cake because something isn't working. I'm leaarning, which I know is important, but it's very frustrating and for the most part I get sick of the cake before I actually complete it.

I've been working for two weeks on this current cake - mostly gumpaste 3D figures and accessories for a teacher appreciation cake. It will be due next Tuesday. So far I've kept on my schedule and I'm doing okay - but when I start thinking about stacking and decorating, I feel the anxiety wash over me.

Keep your chin up. Keep in mind it's a hobby and don't get rushed. I don't know how the "buddy" list works on this website, but feel free to add me and send a message anytime you're frustrated or feeling successful. I'd be glad for the company! icon_smile.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:03am
post #32 of 37

Don't stop! Your cakes in your pics are darling. You're doing a very good job already!
One idea: if you decide that a cake you've just finished isn't up to your standards, ask yourself, "what's one thing about this cake I could have done differently to make it look better?" Focus on just that one. Practice that one thing if you need to. Make sure you apply what you've learned to the next cake, and so on. And yes, Sugarshack's DVDs!!
And............have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:09am
post #33 of 37

I've been doing about 15 cakes a week for 3 years now, and without fail there will be one that doesn't meet my expectations. This week started with a beer mug cake for my boss. I made it at home because I didn't want him to walk into the bakery and see me making it (his wife ordered it as a surprise). It looked great here on my counter, but by the time I got it to work it sagged and looked sad. I couldn't straighten it up. I airbrushed it so every time I moved it a small crack of white would show through the amber color. It was just so sad looking....and it was for the boss! Good grief, what a cake to mess up! It happens to all of us. Keep trying. Practice makes perfect....or close to that. You'll get better!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:13am
post #34 of 37

I've been there. Both of the fondant cakes I made did not turned out the way I originally planned it to be. In fact, I think it turned out better. If one doesn't work out, then try a different way. The key is to be creative in ways to cover your mistakes.

Don't give up, you have beautiful cakes in your pictures.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:54pm
post #35 of 37

I truly love how positive and encouraging everyone is on CC.

Ashley, you really are too hard on yourself. I think one of the downfalls that a lot of people have (me included) is that they want to be excellent at everything they put their hands to. If I put any of my cakes next to Sharon (Sugarshack), Edna (Tonedna) or JenniferMI's of course I'd look like a putz. I also realize they have talents that they have honed for years and they have been gifted in ways that I haven't. But that doesn't make me any less of a cake decorator.

I can't be excellent at everything, so why try? Find out what you're really great at doing and focus on making yourself excellent at that thing, you'll find a great sense of accomplishment. I love cake decorating and yes, I do get frustrated whenever a cake doesn't end up looking like what was in my head or in my sketch. I take notes about what I did wrong and fix it and each cake gets a little bit better. Patience I've found is not only a biblical virtue, but a cake decorating virtue as well.

When things really get you down, just remember...God doesn't love you any less or anymore because you can or can't decorate a cake.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:23pm
post #36 of 37

Amen Tita Amen!!!! icon_smile.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #37 of 37

I feel your pain Niquie. My nemesis is buttercream and I really want to be able to offer that option as well when I start doing this seriously as a business.

So my plan right now is to practice, practice, practice on the areas that I'm better at (MMF) and get those perfect. Meanwhile practice, practice, practice my buttercream smoothing, then take classes when I have enough time.

I think your fondant work is your strength and the colours you choose and your designs SHOW you have the talent and a good "cake eye". So why not perfect the areas you are good at and use fondant for paid cakes until you have the buttercream side all ironed out?

I think working in a medium you are better at for your "show" cakes will help boost your confidence!

Hang in there - you do nice work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%