Satin Ice & Gumpaste...oh My

Decorating By shelbur10 Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 6:01pm by Ironbaker

shelbur10 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:39am
post #1 of 7

I finally decided to break down and pay the shipping to get 5lbs of Satin Ice...please tell me it's going to be worth it! I always have such a terrible time with my MMF breaking & cracking, I can never seem to get the consistency right. It's on the way now, I can't wait!
I'm also going to use gumpaste for the first time, I've always used straight fondant for modeling. Can anyone give me an idea on how fast it dries? Like if I made some flat numbers and a plaque on Wednesday night, would they be dry by Friday?
Thanks for the help! icon_biggrin.gif

edited to fix typo

6 replies
sweetcakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 7

you'll be very happy with the satin ice, im sure. the GP should be dry by then but it will depend on how humid it is.

brincess_b Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 7

gumpaste dries real fast. it does depend on things like humidity, whih really isnt an issue on the uk.
i did numbers that were dry within 12 hours, i think, had a cala lily dry within 12 hours too.
you have to work fast, you dont have much of a chance to go oops and roll it again! starts getting hard within a few minutes sitting out.

Ironbaker Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 7

if you're making them out of GP, they will be dry by the next morning (depending on humidity). it's pretty quick.

Where did you order your fondant from?

shelbur10 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the replies, takes away a lot of the stress worrying about these things getting dry in time. One other question, I usually mix my color into my fondant, then mold, I can do the same with gumpaste, right? Humidity is the enemy here, but it's still early enough in the year that it shouldn't be an issue.

Ironbaker, I ordered from Country Kitchen I've never ordered from anywhere else (don't order a lot of supplies as a hobbyist). I must say, I was very impressed, I submitted my order online Friday night and they called me yesterday because my card number didn't transmit online...I gave them the number on the phone yesterday afternoon and they already had my order packed and ready to ship. I would have thought a lot of places wouldn't touch the order until they had payment. thumbs_up.gif

brincess_b Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 7

yup, you colour gumpaste just the same as fondant.

Ironbaker Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 7

Oh good, Ck is a great site with excellent customer service! You can never go wrong there.

Another good place to order fondant is:

Satin Ice ready made gumpaste is good to work with also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%