Torting The Wondermold...

Decorating By Peet Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm by Peet

Peet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peet Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:11am
post #1 of 15

I was asked to bake a princesscake. It has been years since I have used the wondermold. And I think I have used it only twice...

How do I tort the cake? And how would you cut it. I remember from before that it was hard to cut because of the way I torted the cake. How many layers would be best?

Thanks in advance, this is my first paid princess cake. I can't believe I am nevous about this....!

Petra

14 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:43am
post #2 of 15

I don't tort the wonder mold.

As for cutting...I'd probably cut in horizontally at the mid point and then slice sections - almost like a grapefruit.

Hope that makes sense.

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 15

I don't torte the wonder mold but when you add the bottom cake under the wonder mold to fit the size of the barbie and make it taller you can torte that cake. I was thinking you could make sections like a cake torte the top cardboard in between then the next layer torte & cardboard that will give you a easier way to cut it to. I have not tried this but I may the my next time I use the wondermold. When cutting I usually start at the top just like a regular cake
Then make the criscross cuts like a pie and cut regular sizes all the way down. Hope this makes sense...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 15

I torted it without any problems. I cut it into three sections and I just used a big knife. I didn't put any cardboard in between or anything, no dowels, and it worked out just fine. I just put the filling in between the layers, put the fondant on, and then put the doll's body into the cake. I took it over to my friend's house. It turned out great. And I think it tasted better because it had the filling in between and I also put a simple syrup on each of the layers.

Hope this helps!

Peet Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks for the reply. I have not yet tried to bake. I did find my wondermold, only to find the heatingcore plus screw missing... Oh my, just gotta figure what to do. I contacted our local cakedecorating store. Here in Europe it is not easy!

ANyway, I will try to torte the cake as regular. I am sure it will taste great, just the cutting is what I wonder about...

Thanks again!

Petra

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 15

I don't torte the wondermold. I use a bismarck tip and punch-fill it at assorted spots on the cake (punch a hole in the cake and squeeze, but not so much that you crack the cake).

I use the bismarck tip because it's longer, and can get to the center of the Wondermold, whereas a star tip can't.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I don't torte the wondermold. I use a bismarck tip and punch-fill it at assorted spots on the cake (punch a hole in the cake and squeeze, but not so much that you crack the cake).

That is an amazing idea. Thanks for sharing! thumbs_up.gif

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 15

What is a bismarck tip?

Thanks

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 15

I tort mine. I actually also divide it with cardboard so then it can be cut basically in wedges but in two layers...does that make sense? I stack 9", buttercream (or thick filling), 1/3 of the wondermold, cardboard, 1/3 of the wondermold, buttercream, and the top of the wondermold. You don't end up cutting weird pieces that way.

pastryjen Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 15

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_DT0230

It's a thin long tip to put filling into donuts.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:28pm
post #11 of 15

I wondered about torting the Wilton giant cupcake pan, too. The bottom is so tall. I only used the pan once, and I put cardboard under the "icing" top half of the cake to make cutting easier. Next time, I think I'll tort the bottom "cupcake" half.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #12 of 15

Hi Peet, I torted my cake that I did yesterday. I cut the top when the cake is still in the mold. Then took it out and used my agbay to torte. Torted twice and filled with bc. icon_smile.gif

If you can't get the screw, can't you use a round disc of parchement paper at the bottom to cover the whole?

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:21pm
post #13 of 15

I always torte my Wondermold. I think it is just too much cake to not have any filling. Let's face it people, the filling is the best part so it would be criminal to go without!

I usually torte it into 3 layers. I use my turntable to do it. I place the cake on the turntable, hold a serrated knife against the side of the cake where I want to make the cut, and then spin the turntable to make a groove in the side of the cake. Spinning the turntable while holding the knife steady makes for a level cut. I then wrap thread around the cake in the groove, cross the ends and pull the thread to cut the cake (this does not work too well if there are nuts or chocolate chips in the cake btw). I cut a notch vertically across the cut so that I can line the two layers up where they were after adding filling. Repeat to torte the third layer.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #14 of 15

I torte mine too. CAn't have enough of filling!

I just line up toothpicks along the side of the cake so I can match sides together later and torte into 3 using a serrated knife. Sometimes 4 if I want it taller.

Peet Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #15 of 15

Lots of ideas! Thanks everyone..

Barshini, I was thinking the same thing. To put something on the bottom to cover the hole. I am sure it will be fine. I found out that my boss who ordered a cake for his daughter was mistaken and it will be next week in stead. This will give me this week to practice... So I guess we're eating cake this weekend!

Peet

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%