Help! Geologist Cake

Decorating By maddiseeyore Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm by brincess_b

maddiseeyore Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:59am
post #1 of 14

I have a request for a cake for a geologist. The girl wants some form of a "rock cake" and I'm coming up dry! Her boyfriend loves rocks; all the different types and formations, the "dig" for rocks and fossils, etc. She has given me complete freedom to do the cake however I'd like, just that it is a rock theme! Does anyone have an ideas? Pictures? I've done a search for rocks, stones, geologists, etc. and really can't find anything that will work. Please help! It can be a small cake (for a family dinner). Any help and inspiration would be so appreciated! Everyone here has been so wonderful and I've learned so much. Thank you!
Jackie

13 replies
clovely Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:07am
post #2 of 14

Nothing comes to mind for decorating ideas. But I wonder if you could make the inside layered in something like the layers of the soil and below? Is that geology?

cathie_shinnick Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:23am
post #3 of 14

How about if you make it (not sure of the name of the "rock")(Is it a geod?) as if it were cut in half and can see crystals inside of the rock. I have seen real ones hat have beautiful purple crystals inside that follow the shape of the rock in a circle. I hope you can understand what I am saying. I haven't descried it very well. Then have a hammer or pick made from fondant or gum paste. Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

maddiseeyore Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:35am
post #4 of 14

Oh, thank you so much for your help! These are great ideas; any thoughts on how I would do it? I think the layers in a rock is a great idea with the purple crystal type rocks inside. I think I could buy the edible jewls for the purple, but how would I make the layers? This is only my third paid cake so I've not got a ton of past experience! Anyone ever seen any pictures of something like this in a cake?

bethola Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:37am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie_shinnick

How about if you make it (not sure of the name of the "rock")(Is it a geod?) as if it were cut in half and can see crystals inside of the rock. I have seen real ones hat have beautiful purple crystals inside that follow the shape of the rock in a circle. I hope you can understand what I am saying. I haven't descried it very well. Then have a hammer or pick made from fondant or gum paste. Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Like this idea A LOT! You could make the "rock" from RKT covered in brown, gray, etc. fondant and then for the "crystals" on the inside....I would do a poured sugar in whatever color you want. After the sugar hardens break it up into "crystals" and put on the inside of the rock.

Does this make sense? I haven't had a full pot o coffee yet!

Beth in KY

Edited to add: OOPS! I forgot to say that the CAKE could be carved and decorated like a mountain, or terrain of some sort or maybe a work bench? OR you could use the soccer ball pan and put the RKT on it and then cover to give a "rock" appearance. Yeah, see.....not enough coffee!

EatSomeCake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:49am
post #6 of 14

You could also crunch up some oreos to give the texture of dirt around the mountain or the rock and maybe put some footprints in the "dirt"

brincess_b Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 14

im thinking work bench, with bit of all sorts of rocks, or his favourite rock, on it.
xx

cathie_shinnick Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 14

I was thinking that you could melt some purple hard candies ( I use jolly rancher candies) in the oven on a silicon mat. When it cools, break it up and then attach to the cake. I used this method when I made a stained glass window for a cake. Just an idea icon_wink.gif

maddiseeyore Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 14

Ok, this is such a newbie question, but what is RKT?!
These are such great ideas! I can't wait to try them! You guys are the best!

cathie_shinnick Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 14

Rice Krispy Treats icon_biggrin.gif

Jennifer1970 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:25am
post #11 of 14

I like the idea of a geode. Use the sports ball pan, and you'll have the two halfs of the rock. You could use purple rock candy in the middles for the "gems".

maddiseeyore Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:49am
post #12 of 14

I love the geode idea; I'm just trying to figure out how to do the layers and make the outside look all white and crumbly looking. Any thoughts? You guys are awesome!

maddiseeyore Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:16pm
post #13 of 14

anyone?

brincess_b Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #14 of 14

oh i got an idea! make a crumble topping, like on apple crumble or a crumble slice. then dust it in lots of pwdered sugar? i wonde if mixing in ps to the cumble would make it whiter? or using lard instead of butter? although i dont know how that would taste. you can bake it on a tray, then apply it to the cake, on something like a coat of bc?
if you just cover it it fondant, you could texture the surface, maybe with scrunched up kitchen foil? and again cover in ps. or maybe white petal dust, if such a thing exists.
it might be, i guess you are doing the rock/ ball cake, with a section cut away? that rather than getting the layers in the cake (although you could always have a few sets of batter, a bit of food colour in each, and mix for a marbled look) ifs only on the cut away section, with different colourd rows of fondant/ bc.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%