Confused About Ri Transfers, Colour Flow, And Ct's

Decorating By deetmar Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm by kakeladi

deetmar Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:39am
post #1 of 10

I have done Ct's in the past for my cakes, but was thinking a RI transfer would be easier and quicker. What I am wanting to do, is make Winnie The Pooh and Tigger Too, figures to put on the side of a cake, standing up. I don't necessarily want to Ct's because I don't want to fight with keeping the chocolate warm and having it seize up.

So which method would be the best, and if it is Colour Flow, this is something I have never done, as well as the RI transfers.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

9 replies
Cakepro Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 10

Chocolate won't seize up unless you overheat it or get liquid in it. Lots of people do wonderful chocolate transfers here. You just place your bags on a heating pad to keep them at the correct temperature.

I have not heard of a royal icing transfer. Are you perhaps thinking of a frozen buttercream transfer or a piping gel transfer?

If you would like instructions on doing a sugar run-out or "Color Flow" piece, then here ya go: http://www.wilton.com/idea/Color-Flow

msulli10 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 10

I would think that a royal icing transfer would crack since it dries kind of brittle. Maybe you're thinking of a frozen buttercream transfer. There are directions on this site to do that.

chasebrad Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

You just place your bags on a heating pad to keep them at the correct temperature.

Cakepro - I LOVE this idea! I never ever thought of that! Thanks for sharing!

Deetmar - I think sticking with chocolate transfers for stiff design to stand on side is your best bet. Color flow will take longer to dry and it will degrade the longer it touches oil/butter in the icing.

renee2007 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 10

Hi, I have done a couple of royal icing transfers. If you look in my pics the webkins cake is done with royal icing and I have them standing up on the cake and one on the side. my star wars clone wars cake is also a royal icing transfer. hth

strawberrygirl Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 10

I just did a color flow piece. It is my first. Is there anyway to speed up the drying process? I have heard you could use a heat lamp but I don't have one.

I have done a royal icing transfer before and it worked fine but I waited until the last minute before I put it on the cake.

TracyLH Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 10

If you are doing buttercream, would a RI transfer 'melt'/dissolve into the icing? A friend did beautiful RI transfers for cupcakes, but they had to be applied at the last minute due to the 'dissolving' issue with the buttercream. However, if you are doing fondant, I imagine it would work. I am sorry, I am not a 'caker', but a 'cookier', but did hear of the RI dissolving issue and wanted to pass that on, unless I am mistaken.

tonedna Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #8 of 10

The difference between RI and Corflow is that the color flow has a little bit of more shine and can dry just a bit harder than the RI.
But is just as easy to work with as RI. Just have to make sure you let it dry completely.

Chocolate is beatiful too. Just keep in mind that you are working upside down. The bottom of the design will be the front of your work when you are working with chocolate. In colorflow the top is the front.

As for rolled buttercream, it can only be used for designs that lay down on the cake. You can't stand those up..

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

clovely Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:01pm
post #9 of 10

I've got to do some Dr. Seuss characters for a cake next week. I haven't worked with color flow in years but maybe I'll do that instead of royal this time. It's been a while since I've done anything like this.

kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #10 of 10

........If you are doing buttercream, would a RI transfer 'melt'/dissolve into the icing?.......

The smaller the RI item the more chance of problems w/b'cream.
Once any RI or ColorFlow item is properly made & dried there is little danger of it 'melting' into b'cream icon_smile.gif I have placed tons of RI flowers on b'creamed cakes w/o problem.
Then there is the option of piping 'spikes' or attaching sugar cubes on the RI item which would get stuck into the icing so the whole piece is lifted just enough that it does not touch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%