Never Say Never(A Lesson For Myself)...

Decorating By all4cake Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 6:43am by xstitcher

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:15am
post #1 of 6

During a full week of baking last week and a dump load of leftover egg yolks, I threw in several batches of egg sponge cakes using low cost ingredients(a/p flour instead of cake flour, shortening instead of butter...that type thing)...(this ain't the disaster)...they were going to be used for 'dummies'...baked, wrapped, labeled, dated, froze. ( I told this part just 'cause I didn't want ya'll thinkin' I was just blowin' ingredients for the hellofit.

Here is where the disaster(near disaster) begins. Today, is play day. I take all the layers out...gonna be a 5 tier...12,10,8,6,4...I have no clue(shot myself in the foot by icing all the dang tiers white too) what I want to do.

crumb coat, ice, straight stack. I'm thinkin' the whole time, oh, yeah, I'm gettin' better at this icin' and stackin' thing. hmmmmph.

I get the 6" on the stack and look at all the tiers...hmmmmm...that second one from the bottom don't look so good. The damn thing has got a bubble! where the heck did that come from??????? Oh, heyall no! It's bulging!!!!!!!!! wth is going on here????????? I walk out of the kitchen ...gotta get away from it before I Viva the dang thing to death(trying to apply pressure to what is starting to look like a cushion tier(the sides were looking rounded). I go back in and I'm thinkin' F-it, I'm gonna put that 4"er on there and I do. Step back and look at it again...LOL...uh...it's now leaning.

Okay, I'm just gonna do it...I'm gonna disassemble it. 4 off, 6 off, 8 off...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh good gravy! I didn't dowel the 10 icon_eek.gif ! 10 off...I'm kinda glad it happened though...after I had walked away from it, I came in here to look at cakes and seen quite a few I'd like to try...the ones with the flowers between the tiers.

My lesson learned? I will never say I never would forget to dowel! In umpteen years, this is my first. I'll be checking and double checking from now on(at least that's the plan)

5 replies
txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:29am
post #2 of 6

At least you caught it before continuing on farther.

all4cake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:17am
post #3 of 6

Ain't that the truth?!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:37am
post #4 of 6

and it was just for play..... icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:10am
post #5 of 6

yeah...but it still would've been a pisser had it bit the dust.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:43am
post #6 of 6

Sure would have! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%