What's The Strangest Occasion You've Made A Cake For?

Decorating By robinscakes Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm by SugarFrosted

robinscakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 26

I was looking through the Cakewrecks site and had to laugh at the "Vasectomy Day" cake. I got to thinking about what other unique occasions there are out there that people have made a cake for. I'll jump in first and say that a few months ago I made a simple 8" chocolate cake that said "Thank You" on it. It seemed simple, but the story behind it was that the husband was getting it for his wife......who was giving him one of her kidneys. He beat incredible odds marrying a woman who was a perfect donor for him.

I also made a cookie basket over the weekend for a "Gotcha Day." I'd never heard of Gotcha Day, but it's the day that an adoptive family celebrates when the adoption papers are signed and the adoption is final. It's not strange or odd, but I thought it was unique, and really sweet.

Anyone else have a strange/odd/unique occasion cake out there?

25 replies
kellertur Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:54am
post #2 of 26

My neighbor just asked me for the strangest request I've had yet:

Keep in mind he's a self-proclaimed germaphobe (works in a hospital sanitizing surgical equipment) ~ icon_rolleyes.gif (I feel very at home around him, because I share his philosophy on public bathrooms).
ANYWAY~

He wants me to make him a manure cake w/flies (disgusting!) for his staff.... kind of poking fun at himself. I'm honestly not sure how I'm going to do this cake and not throw up as I'm making it... icon_redface.gif

Carolynlovescake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:04am
post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

I'm honestly not sure how I'm going to do this cake and not throw up as I'm making it... icon_redface.gif

I am so going to hijack this thread.

When doing the frosting in large circles don't forget to mix in a variety of the following:

Sesame seeds, rasins, and a few chunks of corn for the reality effect and if really brave a couple little pieces of lettuce. It gets people laughing so hard they cry almost every time!

Ok back on topic:

I have been asked for some rather odd divorce cake designs.

I've have been asked for a break up cake. The guy wanted the heart cut up with "it's over" on it. I told him to beat pavement because I wasn't doing his dirty work because I was not about to let my shop be forever engraved in her memory as "the bakery that delivered my break up cake".

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:12am
post #4 of 26

The 2x4 cake....I think it's in my pics, either way, it's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yuma_couture_cakes/3018364440/

Requested for by a friend for his friend to remind him of a very low day in his life when he cracked someone over the head with a 2x4...and made changes to never do things like that ever again. Very odd story....trust me. Anyways, it was a big hit, and everyone immediately knew what it represented. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:15am
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

I told him to beat pavement because I wasn't doing his dirty work because I was not about to let my shop be forever engraved in her memory as "the bakery that delivered my break up cake".

thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif I'm with you! Heck no! I think that could seriously damage a bakers reputation! Sheesh.....make it yourself buddy! Freak! icon_razz.gif

SugarFrosted Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #6 of 26

A woman ordered a cake from me to celebrate a decision her best friend had made.
The cake: Boobs! ...to celebrate her friend finally getting a boob job.

GI Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:32am
post #7 of 26
Quote:

I am so going to hijack this thread.

When doing the frosting in large circles don't forget to mix in a variety of the following:

Sesame seeds, rasins, and a few chunks of corn for the reality effect and if really brave a couple little pieces of lettuce. It gets people laughing so hard they cry almost every time!

Holy crapping frosting but this is so funny to read!!! CORN eeewww and lettuce...hmm, I can't even figure out the lettuce part. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

txsteph Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:50am
post #8 of 26

I was asked by a friend of mine to make an "I am not the father cake" ... her brother is having DNA done, and if it comes back as we think it will .. she wants me to make a cake for him. Not quite sure how to go about it though .. guess I will wait for the results and then figure it out!

Sugarflowers Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:52am
post #9 of 26

Quite a few years ago I made a cake that looked like the "Get Out of Jail" Monopoly card. Her husband was getting out of jail after serving his time for the fall of some banks in Oklahoma. This bank thing was really similar to the banking mess we have now.

The cake looked just like the card with a different inscription.

Michele

GI Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:09am
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsteph

I was asked by a friend of mine to make an "I am not the father cake" ... her brother is having DNA done, and if it comes back as we think it will .. she wants me to make a cake for him. Not quite sure how to go about it though .. guess I will wait for the results and then figure it out!

This reminds me of the TV show (Jerry Springer?) with all the "Whose The Baby Daddy" on it! ..."And the DNA test shows...(drum roll please).....you are NOT the father. (As the baby momma runs crying off the stage.) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

KellBell22 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:19am
post #11 of 26

You know, a lot of money could be made on Not the Daddy cakes on a TV show like that. icon_lol.gif

solascakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:23am
post #12 of 26

[quote="GI
This reminds me of the TV show (Jerry Springer?) with all the "Whose The Baby Daddy" on it! ..."And the DNA test shows...(drum roll please).....you are [i:51282676f5]NOT [/i:51282676f5]the father. (As the baby momma runs crying off the stage.) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif[/quote]

How annoying are those shows.Like you dindn't know you slept with 15 men that could have been the daddy.

txsteph Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:42am
post #13 of 26

LOL too funny! Its a long story, but she is trying to pin it on him because he is the only one who holds down a job etc... The time line does not add up (supposedly the baby must be a 12 month baby, LOL) but she is not giving up and took him to court to get child support thinking he would not request DNA. What can I say .. some people do not know math.

BCJean Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:57am
post #14 of 26

I don't like most of the weirdo orders.

I did a bikini cake once and they only wanted one breast....for a lady who had just had surgery and had to have a breast removed.......not funny to me.

I had an order for an "Over the hill" cake and they wanted a grave with his name on the tombstone. The customer called the morning it was due to cancel it,..........because the person had passed away.

I prefer cakes for happy occasions.

SugarFrosted Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:40am
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

I did a bikini cake once and they only wanted one breast....for a lady who had just had surgery and had to have a breast removed.......not funny to me.

I had an order for an "Over the hill" cake and they wanted a grave with his name on the tombstone. The customer called the morning it was due to cancel it,..........because the person had passed away.

I make a lot of open grave cakes with a coffin sitting next to it. For someone turning 30, it seems silly, and maybe a little sad at 40.
But I refuse to make one for anyone over 50...just too close to reality at 60, 70, 80 +

While I was an ER nurse for 10 years, I saw a lot of very sick, dead or dying people. People cried and screamed. I prefer making people laugh or at least smile. Making cakes is more fun, and usually no one cries. icon_rolleyes.gif

GI Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:52pm
post #16 of 26

txsteph that's pretty sad when you think about it. Unfortunately this is not the first time I've heard of girls doing this to a man. It's all about cash at this point!

mkolmar Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:22pm
post #17 of 26

uggg, that actually happened to my brother. The child was already born. My brother is white, she was white and the baby was 1/2 black. She took my brother to court demanding it was his child. The blood test came back with a less than a 1% chance it was his child. He asked his lawyer what that means and his lawyer said that it means he (the lawyer) had more of a chance of being the father than my brother did.
She still claims that my brother was the father for years after it was proven he was not. Now that my brother is an addict and lost everything she has changed her tune though. Geesh, people can be so mean and ignorant.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment.
I was asked to make a cake that looked like a piece of poop. (with just the corn that carolyngwen mentioned earlier ---gag) I was going to be out of town though so had to say no.

kjt Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:39pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

...and usually no one cries. icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh my GOODness..this made me burst out laughing!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ironbaker Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:54pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsteph

This reminds me of the TV show (Jerry Springer?) with all the "Whose The Baby Daddy" on it! ..."And the DNA test shows...(drum roll please).....you are NOT the father. (As the baby momma runs crying off the stage.) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Maury Povich! icon_lol.gif Those shows are such a trainwreck. "I wasn't positive on the first 10 but I'm 1000% sure that this 11th dude is my baby's father! They have the same fingernails!!" icon_rolleyes.gif

I haven't had many strange ones. I guess the oddest for me was the brain cake I did for a friend who was a professor in the psychology department at Emory. She wanted it for her lab students.

iluvjay829 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm
post #20 of 26

I was asked by a co-workers husband to make a suprise cake for their 3 year sobriety anniversary. Which was a major milestone for anyone, particularly b/c they had lost both sons tragically. The funny part was that almost everyone in their AA meeting is gay, so they call it their gay-A meeting. here is the cake...it was fun to make!

Image[/img]

Ironbaker Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:04pm
post #21 of 26

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Love it!!

mommyle Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

I think the one boob cake is hilarious!!!! I know several women who are boobless or mono-boobs, and they LOVE making fun of stuff like that. It's kind of like, if you can't laugh, you're going to cry. Besides, kicking cancer in the butt IS a happy occasion!!!!

kellertur Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:

Luckily he said "manure" cake, so that's what I'm sticking to ~ and since horses/cows eat grass, hay I'm good. There is no way (for any amount of money) that I'm going to stick symbolic "partially digested" food in there or I WILL be sick. icon_razz.gif

With all the diapers and catboxes I've cleaned, I'd rather stay clear of the bodily function cakes. He's a friend, so I made an exception. icon_rolleyes.gif

kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:01pm
post #24 of 26

.........wants me to make him a manure cake w/flies (disgusting!) .......... When doing the frosting in large circles don't forget to mix in a variety of the following:
Sesame seeds, rasins, and a few chunks of corn for the reality effect and if really brave a couple little pieces of lettuce........

O-O-O-H-H-Hhhhhhhhhh my heavens!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't laughed this loud or hard in ages icon_smile.gif Thanks for the smile - it was needed.

txsteph Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjay829

I was asked by a co-workers husband to make a suprise cake for their 3 year sobriety anniversary. Which was a major milestone for anyone, particularly b/c they had lost both sons tragically. The funny part was that almost everyone in their AA meeting is gay, so they call it their gay-A meeting. here is the cake...it was fun to make!

Such a cute cake. Gay - A meeting how funny.

SugarFrosted Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

I haven't had many strange ones. I guess the oddest for me was the brain cake I did for a friend who was a professor in the psychology department at Emory. She wanted it for her lab students.

Thanks for the reminder, Ironbaker! icon_smile.gif
I guess I have done more "weird" ones than I thought, but they didn't seem weird at the time. Coming from a medical background, I have a lot of medical friends who became clients. Over the last 20 years I have made a "runny nose" cake for an allergist, an anatomically correct heart for a cardiologist, an amputated leg for a pathologist, a petrie dish with "active growing culture" for a lab tech...the list goes on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%