Extreme Decorating... Am I Magic?

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 17 May 2009 , 10:39pm by ericaplh

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:50pm
post #31 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Stef

I'm from the Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Loverboy, Van Halen, Brian Adams, The Cars, Twisted Sister, Billy Idol, Def Leppard, Hooters, and Eddie Money 84-88 highschool years, which were (in mho, the coolest years ever, lol). Lets not forget Boy George and George Michael (remember Wham! ? LOL)

Balloon arches for sure
Pink puffy satin dresses
Pinstripes
Turned up collars
Multilayered, wild colored clothes
Sunglasses at Night

Anything wild and odd would work...but for 15 people?? that should be interesting...

Good times....GOOD TIMES.... icon_smile.gif

You say "remember them" like it's in the past.... Wham and George michael is not dead!! icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

I was a Wham NUT (still am). I had wham's debut album in BOTH the U.S. and british versions... on vinyl, thanks! icon_lol.gif I am still in love with George Michael and would divorce my DH for him icon_lol.gif

ETA: I graduated in 1990. I was into Wham (see above), Depeche Mode, OMD, the Breakfast Club (best movie EVER), Pretty in Pink, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, dated the punk skater boys that listened to speed metal, INXS (Michael Hutchence!!!), wore jelly shoes and bracelets, skinny jeans and high heels, big hair (lots of hairspray). I do not remember what my prom theme was, but big hair was out by then and grunge was in

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingatthebeach

It might of been released in the 70's but Stairway to Heaven was our theme in '81 also! I agree, prom attire for 1980 vs late '80s differed, but 80's to me represents big hair (mine naturally curly so perfect era for me lol!) big earrings, shiny dresses that were layered (had one that the bottem came off to make it layered short, my daughter wore it for halloween!). Man I miss back then, had sooooo much fun!

We almost had " Stairway to Heaven." Yes, it was released in the 70s. By 80, 81 it was EVERYONES FAV. We listened to it all through middle/high school. Remember- proms are at the END of the high school career, not the beginning. So the prom is the reflection of those years. Yes, everything "Stairway to Heaven" symbolized was very appropriate for proms of 80, 81. I laugh at the fact that of my peers here in So Fla, many cannot remember much about that time... except their fav songs and "good times." When I ask some to describe the "good times" they respond "purple haze." icon_rolleyes.gif

sandy

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:00pm
post #33 of 74

I graduated from nursing school in '83 at the age of 19. Lived paycheck to paycheck, road tripped, had a blast, do I remember anything important from that era, no, but sure did have fun and dont regret a thing!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #34 of 74

I can't wait to see what you come up with because I have been asked to do an '80s theme bday cake for a 40 year old this summer. Forum has been helpful because I don't have a clue what to do (even though I lived thru the 80s)!!!

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:07pm
post #35 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Wow was I the only one into Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Motley Crue, and Aerosmith in the 80's? I was hanging out backstage and dating the metal guys.

I loved Kiss, bandanas round the wrist, ripped jeans, zebra striped shirts and pencil heels.

I guess it all just depends on what era of the 80's you grew up in and what side of that era you enjoyed. I would definitly get some details on what they wanted. The 80's is WAY to easy to pick the wrong things....there were so many DIFFERENT groups.

No! You were def NOT the only one!! =) I was probably standing right next to ya! Backstage trying to look at me some bad boy booty!
But I technicaly did not grow up in the 80's - more like the 70's but the 80's were a WHOLE LOT MORE FUN!! icon_wink.gif And just a continuation of the 70's - just with less hairspray!! (Ewwww I soooo hated that "Mall Hair"!!)

Sorry I "drifted away" for a sec icon_wink.gif
Good Luck with that cake and PLEASE post a pic here when your done!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:17pm
post #36 of 74

GayeG I promise you I was seeing some bad boy butt....and Axel left a lot to be desired icon_smile.gif

But she can't put THAT on this cake can she????

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:17pm
post #37 of 74

You should look for those lists "You know you grew up in 1980 if you remember..."

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:35pm
post #38 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

GayeG I promise you I was seeing some bad boy butt....and Axel left a lot to be desired icon_smile.gif

But she can't put THAT on this cake can she????

Well ... hmmmm Maybe bad boy booty wouldnt be so good - on a cake ... But it SURE would be a "sweet" cake!! icon_wink.gif (Thanx for leaving me in la la land w/Axel's B-Hind!!) Awwww sweet memories!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:37pm
post #39 of 74

Nope, your not the only metal head here! I still have the original Kiss album, the first one, and wore black spandex, boots and I still have my black leather long coat with the fringe!!! lol They use to call me Harley Chick at school because I was always wearing concert shirts and jeans/boots. Even though I had nothing to do with motorcycles! lol Bleached my hair blond (with a black streak on the side) .
Wow, that seamed like a lifetime ago!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:40pm
post #40 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Nope, your not the only metal head here! I still have the original Kiss album, the first one, and wore black spandex, boots and I still have my black leather long coat with the fringe!!! lol They use to call me Harley Chick at school because I was always wearing concert shirts and jeans/boots. Even though I had nothing to do with motorcycles! lol Bleached my hair blond (with a black streak on the side) .

Ain't that the truth.....a lifetime ago...but boy do I miss it! Love my hubby, love my kids, love my grandbaby...but I would jump back to then for just a day in a heart beat!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:29am
post #41 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Ooooh... I love me some Aerosmith... Don't forget G-n-R too. "You know where you are???? You're in the Jungle baby!!!" icon_lol.gif I was a freshman in 1990 so I was a late 80'sand more of an early 90's kid.

yeah!!!!!!! welcome to the jungle baby!..lol..Dammit..That only tells me
I am older than you..lol
Edna

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #42 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

Quote:

I'm from the Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Loverboy, Van Halen, Brian Adams, The Cars, Twisted Sister, Billy Idol, Def Leppard, Hooters, and Eddie Money 84-88 highschool years, which were (in mho, the coolest years ever, lol). Lets not forget Boy George and George Michael (remember Wham! ? LOL)

Balloon arches for sure
Pink puffy satin dresses
Pinstripes
Turned up collars
Multilayered, wild colored clothes
Sunglasses at Night

Anything wild and odd would work...but for 15 people?? that should be interesting...

Good times....GOOD TIMES.... icon_smile.gif

You say "remember them" like it's in the past.... Wham and George michael is not dead!! icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

I was a Wham NUT (still am). I had wham's debut album in BOTH the U.S. and british versions... on vinyl, thanks! icon_lol.gif I am still in love with George Michael and would divorce my DH for him icon_lol.gif

ETA: I graduated in 1990. I was into Wham (see above), Depeche Mode, OMD, the Breakfast Club (best movie EVER), Pretty in Pink, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, dated the punk skater boys that listened to speed metal, INXS (Michael Hutchence!!!), wore jelly shoes and bracelets, skinny jeans and high heels, big hair (lots of hairspray). I do not remember what my prom theme was, but big hair was out by then and grunge was in

WHAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....big fan!..lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Suziebee1126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suziebee1126 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:27am
post #43 of 74

Though I'm sure the OP has long ago decided what to do with this cake I just figured out what I should have said! Not a country music lover back then but a more current song reminded me of big hair, parachute pants, Rubik's cube, cut-off jeans, skating rinks and black Trans-Am's (the one with the big gold bird on the hood!).

*from 19 Something by Mark Wills

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:16am
post #44 of 74

Omg you guys, what a trip down memory lane this has been, LOL! I'm sure she did the cake already, but you can't blame a little reminiscing can ya?

My 13 year old is always looking at my old pics and saying how she thinks the 80's look like they were the best decade to be a teen in, and I have to agree. And yes, The Breakfast Club and St. Elmo's Fire were some of my favorite movies ever. Anyone remember that movie, Breakin'? (when break dancing was, like, SO new?)? Valley Girls? Big jewelery? I wore some earrings so big and skirts so short and tight, I probably looked like a lollipop! We did some crazy dumb stuff, but what a blast we had.

Oh, and yes, I listed to Ratt, Aerosmith, Dokken, and the rest...just had to keep it on the downlow cause my parents thought they were sooo bad.

Jelly shoes! HA I almost forgot those!

Thanks for the smile today. I've had a killer of a day, and this was just what I needed...

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:46am
post #45 of 74
Quote:

Omg you guys, what a trip down memory lane this has been, LOL! I'm sure she did the cake already, but you can't blame a little reminiscing can ya?

My 13 year old is always looking at my old pics and saying how she thinks the 80's look like they were the best decade to be a teen in, and I have to agree. And yes, The Breakfast Club and St. Elmo's Fire were some of my favorite movies ever. Anyone remember that movie, Breakin'? (when break dancing was, like, SO new?)? Valley Girls? Big jewelery? I wore some earrings so big and skirts so short and tight, I probably looked like a lollipop! We did some crazy dumb stuff, but what a blast we had.

Oh, and yes, I listed to Ratt, Aerosmith, Dokken, and the rest...just had to keep it on the downlow cause my parents thought they were sooo bad.

Jelly shoes! HA I almost forgot those!

Thanks for the smile today. I've had a killer of a day, and this was just what I needed...

I remember Breakin' that was da bomb! And Valley girl, like oh my god, how could anyone forget? That is when I fell in love with Nicholas Cage. "Melt With You" STILL makes me feel like a teenager. I raise my hand to the big earrings and tiny tight jean skirts, paired with a crop top no less. Man, I just realized I probably looked like a hooker lol

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:01am
post #46 of 74

LEG WARMERS , ShOULDER PADS, FLASH DANCE, MICHAEL JACKSON RED LEATHER JACKET, BIG HAIR WITH GEL AND RAISED ABOVE THE EARS, BIG DANGGLING EARRINGS,... icon_biggrin.gif

SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER/DISCO IS 70'S..... NOT 80'S icon_cool.gif

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:27am
post #47 of 74
Quote:

. Anyone remember that movie, Breakin'? (when break dancing was, like, SO new?)? Valley Girls? Big jewelery? I wore some earrings so big and skirts so short and tight, I probably looked like a lollipop! We did some crazy dumb stuff, but what a blast we had.

Oh MY God!!! ROTFLMAO!!!

Oh yeah, Breakin' and Breakin 2 Electric Boogaloo....lets not forget Beat Street

wait wait it's coming back to me:

"Oh my God, Gag me with a spoon of sugar, spread me with a knife and stab me with a fork. That is so........"

Omg was that a funny decade, this is so much fun remembering all this. lololololol

Bea

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:07pm
post #48 of 74

Don't forget....

New Kids on the Block
Top Gun

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm
post #49 of 74

Doin the Butt! Got that one on my ipod shuffle for the workouts now so I can get rid of my big ole butt! Of course the nuns werent too thrilled seeing us do that dance on the dance floor!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 7:03pm
post #50 of 74

Think "Flashdance", "Footloose", "Ferris Bulers Day Off", and lots and lots of way over sized earrings, leg warmers, head bands, big permed hair, and jeans on guys the way they were meant to be worn....actually on your ass and not at your knees like a penguin!!

I graduated in 1983...*flashes on days working at A&W and listening to the jukebox and dancing to all the great ones* icon_wink.gif

Boy am I old!!! LOL

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #51 of 74

lol. I was coming on to update you all with a picture and this thread was so much longer than the last time I checked...

I was born in 81, so my experience was very different than all of yours. I started emailing people for 80's things. Struggled with structure on less than 2 days notice.

The birthday girl is an actress in the play 'totally awesome 80's prom' (or something like that). I don't know how old she was turning, but she plays an 18 year old, so not too old, right?

So from first egg cracked to delivery - 40 hours. plus I have 2 other sculpted cakes this week...

Thanks for all the input!!
LL

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #52 of 74

I love how you did the white layer. Very nice! You did a great job!

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:35pm
post #53 of 74

Wow, I guess I'm really young, but I don't feel it! The 80's for me were My Little Pony, girl scouts, walking to the corner store for slushies (A big thing in my small town) and daisy chains. I do remember wearing long tshirts and leg warmers as my "outfit of the day", and Top Gun is one of my favorite movies these days.

Believe it or not, my prom was in '99, and one of the themes in the decorating book was Stairway to Heaven. We went with Angel (Averil Lavine's song).

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #54 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarnspice1981

Wow, I guess I'm really young, but I don't feel it! The 80's for me were My Little Pony, girl scouts, walking to the corner store for slushies (A big thing in my small town) and daisy chains. I do remember wearing long tshirts and leg warmers as my "outfit of the day", and Top Gun is one of my favorite movies these days.

Believe it or not, my prom was in '99, and one of the themes in the decorating book was Stairway to Heaven. We went with Angel (Averil Lavine's song).

Yup! Born in '81 graduated in '99. Don't remember off hand what my prom theme was though ... icon_rolleyes.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:25pm
post #55 of 74

I love the white layer with the splashes of color! Awesome cake!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:13am
post #56 of 74

Cake photo isn't showing for me. Did you post it elsewhere so I shows in your profile?

peachquilter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachquilter Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:00am
post #57 of 74

OMG!! The 'splash painted' layer looks just like my bedroom did!! It was splashed with bright pink, black and grey. I LOVED it. icon_smile.gif

Great job on the cake.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:49am
post #58 of 74

Your cake reminded me of a friends clothing store opened for her by her mother when she graduated in 1979. The walls of her store were painted just like your top tier! Very good!!! Just one question: What are the wired pieces suppose to be, and what was the concept of the design you chose?

Guess that was more like two questions huh? LOL icon_razz.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:01pm
post #59 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

OMG!! That's so funny! I graduated in 1987 too! I had the leather coats, high heels, black spandex, band t shirts, bleach blonde hair, etc.... I've still got all my leather coats (my favorite was the looong tassles with silver beads on it). I liked Metallica and thrash metal in 1986, all my friends thought I was crazy!

Sweet-Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Kakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm
post #60 of 74

OMG! 4 Pages of posts, and not 1 mention of JOURNEY!!! Steve Perry, please forgive us! Must be the early Alzheimers setting in. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%