heychele Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #1 of

Hi,
I just purchased about 10 bottles of Lorann gourmet oil flavorings. I would like to use it to flavor buttercream to have different flavor options. The only thing that I have been able to find about it is how concentrated it is. I'm not sure how much of it to use at a time. I.E. is it just a couple of drops or measured by 1/4 tsp? I would be adding it to a full batch of buttercream.
Does the flavor intensify as it sits?
If any one can give me advise or suggestions I would appreciate it so much!
Michele

12 replies
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:01am
post #2 of

It might depend on the flavor, for instance the fruity oils I have used are pretty intense. Some people say use a dram(equal to a Tsp.), I think less than that will give you a good flavor. The best thing would be to add a little(maybe a cap full) at a time until you are satisfied with the taste. i don't think the flavor gets stronger as it sits...but I'm not sure..

miss_sweetstory Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:41am
post #3 of

Hi heychele,
Look at the forums for post from Macsmom... particularly a huge thread called something like, 'Help Gourmet flavors'. Macsmom and many of the others that contribute to that thread use a lot of the Lorann oils. You might find some direction there (and some great flavoring ideas).

Ann

mellee Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:16am
post #4 of

This is a great question, and I've been wondering about it myself. I did see the Gourmet Flavors thread out there, but it's now up to the 800-BILLIONTH page, and I have no idea how to tackle it or where inside of it to find the information I need.

cakes22 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:12pm
post #5 of

Kinda silly, but I use an eye dropper or baby medicine dropper. That way I can test the flavouring and add more a little at a time.

hth

Limpy Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm
post #6 of

Went to a class taught by a master cake decorator & this is the info I got & it works well. For the Loranne oils, go to the drugstore & purchase an eye or medicine dropper. Use 10 drops per cup of frosting, or 8 drops per pound of fondant. If you find that this is too strong/not strong enough, adjust according to taste. Remember the flavour intensifies if left overnight. Hope this helps.

mellee Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:52pm
post #7 of

Limpy, that DOES help. Thank you.

Sweet_Guys Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:13pm
post #8 of

We used 2 droppers of oil for the buttercream and the remainder of the dram went into the cake batter.

Paul

CarrieBear Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:22pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

Hi heychele,
Look at the forums for post from Macsmom... particularly a huge thread called something like, 'Help Gourmet flavors'. Macsmom and many of the others that contribute to that thread use a lot of the Lorann oils. You might find some direction there (and some great flavoring ideas).

Ann





http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=614554&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0


its up to about 155 pages or more but there are tons of ideas over here, Macsmom knows a lot she could help

CarrieBear Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:25pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellee

This is a great question, and I've been wondering about it myself. I did see the Gourmet Flavors thread out there, but it's now up to the 800-BILLIONTH page, and I have no idea how to tackle it or where inside of it to find the information I need.





just jump to the last page and ask away... people are willing to help, it jumps around topics and new people are joining the thread all the time, so there have been mutiple repeat questions in the ...155? pages that is at right now, a lot of helpful people willing to answer things! icon_smile.gif

cathyfowler662 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:39pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpy

Went to a class taught by a master cake decorator & this is the info I got & it works well. For the Loranne oils, go to the drugstore & purchase an eye or medicine dropper. Use 10 drops per cup of frosting, or 8 drops per pound of fondant. If you find that this is too strong/not strong enough, adjust according to taste. Remember the flavour intensifies if left overnight. Hope this helps.




Thank you very much!! I've often wondered about this. I bought the oils long ago, and have been too afraid to try them.

cathyfowler662 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

We used 2 droppers of oil for the buttercream and the remainder of the dram went into the cake batter.

Paul




I never thought of putting it in the cake batter....that's a great idea! Thanks!!

heychele Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:03am

Thank you so much to all of you that answered! My computer is working again and I'm so happy to see the kindness that still exists here!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%