Improve Piping Skills?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 2:33am by Mme_K

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 4

Watching Cake Boss last night on TLC (LOVE that show!!), I was in awe of Buddy's piping skills. Holy cow - just watching him freehand those black scrolls was incredible!

Quite frankly, my piping skills suck. icon_sad.gif The extent of my cake training was at a class taught by a cakelady a million years ago. Basic icing a cake, shell border and rose. My cornelli lace looks like amoebas. Let's not even go into writing Happy Birthday on a cake!!

I know there are some crazy-talented CC'ers here - how on earth do you do it?? Do you take classes? Any tips for me? icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 4

Buddy's show was great! It's amazing what his business does and makes me glad I don't work there! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

As for piping, consistency of the frosting is key. It should come out of the tip with moderate pressure. This will depend on the size of the tip of course. Although it might seem like you would need really thin icing for a very small tip, this will backfire immediately. What usually works is to make a fairly stiff frosting and thin it very slightly with clear corn syrup.

Another trick that works for me when it come to how much pressure to use is emotion. When I need to apply more pressure I think of someone or something that has thoroughly made me mad. I squish their little heads and then forgive... squish and forgive.... This technique gives me the right amount of pressure and release. Don't squish so hard that their eyes would pop out! icon_lol.gif If I need only moderate pressure then I think of something that is only slightly annoying. It sounds crazy, but it really works.

HTH

Michele

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:18am
post #3 of 4

Beachcakes, I'm with you on this one. My piping skills are nothing to write home about either. I try to practice when I have extra frosting left over. I've never taken a class but I would sure love to. Can't wait to see what other tips come from skilled CC'ers.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:33am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

Another trick that works for me when it come to how much pressure to use is emotion. When I need to apply more pressure I think of someone or something that has thoroughly made me mad. I squish their little heads and then forgive... squish and forgive.... This technique gives me the right amount of pressure and release. Don't squish so hard that their eyes would pop out! icon_lol.gif If I need only moderate pressure then I think of something that is only slightly annoying. It sounds crazy, but it really works.

HTH

Michele

That is perfect! LOL I think I need to go practise my piping.... need to do a little squishing tonight! It's been one of those days. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%