Chocolate Transfer Sheet First Timer

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 11:43pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 17

Every time I want to try something new I get all worked up and nervous! I just ordered my first transfer sheet that i plan on using for my DH birthday cake. I want for him to take it to work, so there is a little more added pressure than just for the family!

Anyway, I have watched the video on country kitchen oodles of times, but I still have a couple of questions.

Does the sheet have to be EXACTLY the same size as the cake or if it overlaps a tiny bit can I still get the sheet off?

Would I be crazy to try it on a 8 or 10 inch cake to start? Or should I just start with a 6 inch?

When you go to cut the cake, does it cut nicely or does it shatter? I was planning on just using candy coating.

I wanted to make it like 5 inches tall and add fruit inside, how do you get the nice clean edge? Just use the pizza cutter like the video shows?

I ordered some of those perfections strips, was that worth it? I figured I could use them for cookies at least.

16 replies
Ironbaker Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 17

Hi Merissa, I'll try to answer your questions...

Does the sheet have to be EXACTLY the same size as the cake or if it overlaps a tiny bit can I still get the sheet off?

You do need to try to get it about the same diameter as the cake. The first time I did it, I let it overlap and I was breaking away chocolate to get the sheet off. You would be laying one end on top of the other and the chocolate would harden in place over that end....not good. The last one I did wasn't exact but I made sure to have the chocolate at least touching the cake and let any extra sheet trail off...kind of hard to explain.

Would I be crazy to try it on a 8 or 10 inch cake to start? Or should I just start with a 6 inch?

Nope, just ambitious. My first time, I did it on a 9 in and last weekend I did it for the first time on a 10 -a groom's cake - you'll be fine. I'll try to attach a pic. HOWEVER, did you say you bought only one transfer sheet? What are the dimensions? Usually, if I want to put it one a cake bigger than a 6in, I have to cut the sheet lengthwise and tape two ends together so that it will fit around the cake. For the 10 inch I bought, I needed two sheets to do this.

When you go to cut the cake, does it cut nicely or does it shatter? I was planning on just using candy coating.

I usually use candy coating also, you just need a good cutting knife. It didn't really shatter for me. One time (it was a cake for work), I had hot water nearby to warm the knife a bit.

I wanted to make it like 5 inches tall and add fruit inside, how do you get the nice clean edge? Just use the pizza cutter like the video shows?

Yeah, I guess you can. I tend to leave it alone...I like the jagged look. One of these days I'll be more precise and try to get a clean top. But those I make them for like the choppiness too. We're all weird. icon_lol.gif
But I have used a knife or something similar to clean it up a bit.

I ordered some of those perfections strips, was that worth it? I figured I could use them for cookies at least.[/quote]

You can tell me if it's worth it! lol I don't have them - I was totally winging it the first time I did this. I just spread a layer on as evenly as possible - not too thin and not too thick. And then let it sit a few minutes to set just a little and then work fast to get it around the cake. Once it's on, try not to use your hand or anything to smooth it, may cause ripples.

Have fun and post a pic when you're done!! I love them because they're quick and easy decoration and now they have so many cute designs. FancyFlours is another good site for transfer sheets, great service too.

I hope this helps a little, good luck.
LL
LL

springlakecake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 17

thanks soooo much for your reply! I did only buy one sheet. It said it was 10x16 so I figured I would cut it in half, tape it and then it would be 5x32. I guess I will need to see how far that will go on a cake!

Your cakes are great! I will post a photo, unless it is a disaster or I chicken out. thanks again!

JodieF Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 17

You can trim the top to be even, just do it before the chocolate sets hard. icon_smile.gif There are several cakes wrapped in transfers in my photos, including my avatar, which is the cake collar topped with fruit that you're wanting to do.
One sheet should be just fine, because you cut the transfer to the height you want. You can get multiple strips from one transfer.
Transfers aren't hard to use! Just be sure the chocolate is warm. That's what makes the cocoa butter stick to the chocolate!

Jodie

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 17

When I did my first (& only so far icon_smile.gif ) chocolate wrap I used clear contact paper and added 1Tbsp of veggie oil to the chocolate both on advise from fellow cakers here on CC. The chocolate was then pretty easy to cut through. As far as wrapping it around, mine overlapped about 1/4" and it just peeled off the extra when I peeled off the acetate (maybe because of the oil or I didnt refridgerate as long as the pp. I also like the jagged look but a pizza cutter seems a great way to get a straight edge! icon_biggrin.gif HTH

Ironbaker Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 17

Jodie, I love the cake in your avatar! I want to try that double wrapped look.

Another thing, I started taping my transfer sheet to a piece of wax paper the same length, to give it more weight. I'm sure you can use something else or nothing at all but when I first started, I had trouble with them being flimsy.

JodieF Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks Ironbaker...I love how it turned out! It's been my favorite so far!

Jodie

springlakecake Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:00pm
post #8 of 17

DUDE! I didn't know there had been more replies to this! Sorry! Thanks for all the advise. I might be chickening out on the 8 inch! I made DH a 6 inch cake just for home eating, so I might try that first! Plus I just iced the 8 inch last night and it's nice and smooth...hate to waste that...LOL

springlakecake Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:01pm
post #9 of 17

Oh one more thing...I don't understand what you did with the contact paper?

springlakecake Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:05pm
post #10 of 17

sorry one more thing...off topic...Jodie where do you buy the cigarellos? They always seem rediculously expensive when I look. Is there a good place to buy them? Or are they always expensive?? thanks

springlakecake Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:42pm
post #11 of 17

okay, so here it is...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1355227

I chickened out and used a 6 inch cake. I also didnt use my purchased transfer sheet. It was kind of "girly" for my DH birthday. It was a disaster making this! I am surprised it actually looks as good as it does, LOL! I think I spread the chocolate too thick. It started setting up on the edges (it might have been thinner here) before the middle. I thought I had better get it on the cake so that it didnt crack. When I picked it up all the chocolate was gushing off. It was all over the board and my table...everywhere! After some cleaning and lots of scraping, it doesnt look too bad! I will need more practice!

thanks everyone for the help!

JodieF Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:18pm
post #12 of 17

Merissa....I'm sorry...I didn't get notice of replies! I had ordered the cigarellos from a company in New Orleans. I have it bookmarked at home. I'll post it for you later.

I think your cake turned out great. They do take practice, and it does seem like chocolate gets everywhere!

Jodie

springlakecake Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks, that would be cool!

springlakecake Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #15 of 17

thanks, I am going to save the site! When do they tell you how much it's gonna cost? icon_confused.gif

JodieF Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #16 of 17

I called them and talked to a few very nice people! I'm sorry...I wish I could remember exactly how much they were! I know that some members order from Marquefoods too!

http://www.marquefoods.com/cms/?page=shop&cat=CHOCOLATE+DECORATIONS

Jodie

springlakecake Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:43pm
post #17 of 17

I do think I have seen that site before. thank you again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%