Those Little Wires

Decorating By Wesha Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 3:38pm by brincess_b

Wesha Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Guys,

What are those little metal looking wires called that so many of you put in your fondant cakes? I have heard that you can put them in coffee stirrers because they are not food safe. Where do you buy them? I have a cake coming up in 2 weeks and my customer wants them sticking out of the cake with little decors on them.



5 replies
brincess_b Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 6

they are floristry wires. cake shops and online places have them, as well as some of the stores in the us too.

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 6

I just use wire found at wal-mart or michaels. Depending on what you want to do with it, you get different gauge wire. Just remember that the bigger the number the thinner the wire.

Wesha Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 6

thanks Ladies, you always come through.


hensor Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 6

What guage does anybody use? Just curious to see how sturdy they need to be.

brincess_b Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 6

most people use between a 16 and 24 guage, it depends on the object, and if you want the wire to bend or e straight. i used a 24 guage on my celebration cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%