Decorating By Newatdecorating Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 3:39am by sherik

Newatdecorating Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 23

What kind do you use?

22 replies
mashmellow Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 23

I use wood for 2 leyered cakes, for toller cakes I prefer plastic dowells or pillars wich I cut to size

underthesun Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 23

Fairly new at this, but I've stacked a few cakes. So far I've used the wooden dowels purchased at Michaels in the cake deco area. They've worked great for me and have always seemed very stable, but I've not had to transport very far. I've seen someone use cardbaord dowels, but I haven't located them yet.

pattycakesnj Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:09am
post #4 of 23

I use wooden dowels too from Wilton and never had a problem, even when transporting

cutiepiecakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:20am
post #5 of 23

I use wooden dowels from Wilton for 2 and 3 tiers. I assemble anything taller than 3 tiers on-site.

sweet_teeth Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:27am
post #6 of 23

Bubble tea staws!! Sooo much easier to cut and I personally think they're much more stable than dowels. I then put a large wooden dowel down the center to insure nothing moves.

skeet1zp Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #7 of 23

I like to use cake jacks (the plastic adjustable dowel rods). If it's a tiered cake I use a combination of cake jacks to support the tiers and add a wooden dowel rod down the center.

Kerry_Kake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:44am
post #8 of 23

What size wooden dowels do you people use? 1/4" or 1/2"?

I bought the 1/4" but they are smaller than the bubble tea straws that I use. I can't get the straws anymore at my Walmart icon_mad.gif

underthesun Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:53am
post #9 of 23

What are bubble tea straws?

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:02am
post #10 of 23
Originally Posted by underthesun

What are bubble tea straws?

And where can you get them?

Kerry_Kake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #11 of 23

the ones I used are bigger than the average straw and mine had little spoons on the ends that I cut off. I could get mine at Walmart but now I can't....uuugh

CakeandDazzle Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:30am
post #13 of 23

I tried the wooden dowels at the beginning... boy was that a PITA!! I still have some in my closet if anyone wants them!! lol I love the bubble tea straws!! they work fantastic and are soooo very easy to use!!

Newatdecorating Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:23pm
post #14 of 23

Thanks everyone!

tiggy2 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:38pm
post #15 of 23

If you have an Asian market in your town you can buy them there. Otherwise google bubble tea straws and you will come up with several sites.

whisperingmadcow Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:38pm
post #16 of 23

Anyone have a trick for cutting wooden dowels evenly?

j-pal Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:39pm
post #17 of 23

For a small 2-tier I'll use bubble straws or even regular straws. Larger cakes I use a plate and hidden pillar method. It's very stable and I deliver up to 7 tiers already assembled and have never had a cake lean, slide, or collapse in the 13 years I've been doing cakes. I've delivered in 110+ temperatures and up into mountainous areas and have never had a problem with this method.

I used to use wooden dowels, but I didn't like the "wood" taste that the cake would sometimes absorb from the dowels. Also, they tend to "pinch" when cut, rather than getting a nice flat cut. Also, if they're not all cut exactly the same height, the weight of the cake sitting on the plate, on the tallest dowel has been known to make the cake plate crack.

Rylan Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:51am
post #18 of 23

I usually use bubble tea straws and wooden dowels. Maybe a mixture of both?

If you check Edna's tutorial, you can see that she uses these cardboard looking dowels.

Good luck =]

underthesun Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:03pm
post #19 of 23

Okay, I don't have a large cake this weekend, just a 2 tier, double layer each to put together. But, I want to try the bubble straws. Don't know if I'll find them, but I will try. My question - will they actually be called "bubble straws"? Thanks!

Rylan Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:44am
post #20 of 23

I believe so. They are usually called bubble tea straws or boba straws. Just ask them for the thick straws and they will most likely know what you are talking about.

Cookie4 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:07am
post #21 of 23

I have been using the straws from Burger King - similar to the bubble straws in size.

Kerry_Kake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:10am
post #22 of 23
Originally Posted by Cookie4

I have been using the straws from Burger King - similar to the bubble straws in size.

So do you buy them from them? Or just take a handful when your there? icon_lol.gif

sherik Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:39am
post #23 of 23

Here is a site that sells packs of 50 Jumbo Tea Straws for $1.50 per package.


Quote by @%username% on %date%